Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we call the underground forest?

The Undergrove
- 6 (40%)
The Corpselight Grove
- 9 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 36

Author Topic: Ghoullights Chapter III: The Lamentation of Dyes [Succession]  (Read 38117 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

"Necromancer fuel rod"
That's a new one.
Abusing dark powers for profit is always great. Don't forget you can use him to get more meat out of your animals! :D

Unholy Magicks(R): Providing dark power to your neighbourhood since 1050!
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

On a completely unrelated note, I tried replacing Chaosgear's save's raws with those of modest mod ascii version, and it didn't cause any problems. So if you want to make the game not look messed up and wonky, you can do that.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Journal of "Halfling" Aludoddom, 2nd Granite 1003.

Oh, my head... Who would have thought shattering the fabric of existence could give you such a hangover? Last I remember was Gaunt screaming in anger as he was eaten by our fortress crocodile limb by limb, part of an epidemic of contagious violent insanity that had come to our fort. The four of us survivors running to the magma chronosphere chamber with the zombies on our heels. Thank the gods it worked.

Now it's Granite again, my head is still killing me, Chaosgear is still alive and not as a soulless revenant, all traces of Gaunt have somehow vanished - it seems he did not exist in this timeline at all - and Remuthra is our military commander and newly appointed overseer. Dizzying, but it's better than being torn apart by the living dead. Berul be praised, my left mitten is still here and didn't turn into a toad or mini-forge or a lump of clay. Which we seem to have about 300 of, stored for some unknown purpose, by the way. Ho hum.

Remuthra has been talking about harnessing the earth's blood to destroy the walking dead for good. He's been drawing and designing and designating, and screaming at the miners to get back to work whenever they get an excuse to stop digging. Which is often, since by miners' guild rules, if one of them singes a finger on some hot rocks, the entire area is "too dangerous to mine" and they can get back to emptying our rum supply.

Now I like traps and magma and burning things to a second, hopefully more permanent death as much as the next dwarf, but there is a downside nobody seems to notice except I. That is, as I told them today in the dining hall, we can't butcher what we catch if we dump it into magma. Butchering the undead may sound a little dangerous or slightly suicidal, but we need meat. Not just for savoring, either.

"If anyone remembers, and I'm starting to doubt it," I said, "I lead us to live here in Armok's godsforsaken ass-crack among the soulless walking elephant husks and thieving raccoon skeletons and crocodiles and glum purple trees and patches of mud for a reason, and it wasn't to admire the damn scenery or see the exotic zombie leopard."

"It was to an extent to mine some gold and make great halls where they said we couldn't, but mostly to grow sliver barbs, farm spiders and make silk. To catch the cobs, we'll need animal traps on the surface, baited with meat. The only good source of meat here is the zombies, after you re-kill them. Do you see the problem?"

"We need silk. Silk," I told them. "You can use it to web cage traps and make mittens and -- What do you mean that's insane and not worth the loss of life?" Even if dwarf lives were more important than silk, it's not like death is something permanent here. They won't be dead for more than five minutes after hitting the ground. This point wasn't well received, however.

In other news, it's been two years, and there's absolutely no clothesmaking work for me. Sigh... I'll just have a little cruor to get through another working day in the office, and get back to bookkeeping.

What a sour taste.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, it's been 48 hours now. That means the final result of the forest poll is in. Here it is!:

The underground forest is now officially named the Corpselight Grove.

Chaosgear's suggestion won. Congrats! That means you get to design a monument in the grove, to be built by whoever is overseer at the time you finish designing it. It can use 12 raw materials we have access to was the agreement.

Here's how to design it. Provide instructions for the overseer and...
  • Either pick the easy, "I have a life" way, and pick 12 items/constructions you want the monument to consist of, or,
  • Do the fun design challenge I had in mind, namely that you get to use 12 starting materials and any labors. So for example if you wanted to make a golden floor, a pond and a statue, you would write "Take 1 coke, 6 gold nuggets and 2 bituminous coal. Smelt the raw materials. Forge a bucket if we don't have one. Dig a channel at [where the pond should be]. Designate it as a pond. Use 18 gold bars to build [floor arrangement]. From the rest, forge a statue. Place the statue on [place of statue]

Then it's probably up to Remuthra to build it. If he doesn't get around to it, I'm thinking I could do it between turns. We'll see.

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile

"If anyone remembers, and I'm starting to doubt it, I lead us to live here in Armok's godsforsaken ass-crack among the soulless walking elephant husks and thieving raccoon skeletons and crocodiles and glum purple trees and patches of mud for a reason, and it wasn't to admire the damn scenery or see the exotic zombie leopard."

"It was to an extent to mine some gold and make great halls where they said we couldn't, but mostly to grow sliver barbs, farm spiders and make silk. To catch the cobs, we'll need animal traps on the surface, baited with meat. The only good source of meat here is the zombies, after you re-kill them. Do you see the problem?"

"We need silk. Silk," I told them. "You can use it to web cage traps and make mittens and -- What do you mean that's insane and not worth the loss of life?"

You need to add this to the first post. Makes a good introduction to the fort.
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ghoullights - Zombie Elephants, Cruor and Silk [Succession]
« Reply #215 on: March 13, 2013, 09:57:13 am »

Hm, I guess I could add that part it if it's good. Let's hope people don't think I'm patting my own back too much.

Could also add some quotes from other turns. I think the zombie mussels and pearls was just too funny.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 13, 2013, 10:18:53 am »

Okay - I've changed the first post and included some quotes. Let's hope the new version attracts more overseers and people wanting to be dwarfed.

Tell me if you think it's good, and tell me if you think it's bad. Same with my choice of quotes. Suggest new ones or removing the ones we have if they're not that good.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile

Alright, it's been 48 hours now. That means the final result of the forest poll is in. Here it is!:

The underground forest is now officially named the Corpselight Grove.

Chaosgear's suggestion won. Congrats! That means you get to design a monument in the grove, to be built by whoever is overseer at the time you finish designing it. It can use 12 raw materials we have access to was the agreement.

Here's how to design it. Provide instructions for the overseer and...
  • Either pick the easy, "I have a life" way, and pick 12 items/constructions you want the monument to consist of, or,
  • Do the fun design challenge I had in mind, namely that you get to use 12 starting materials and any labors. So for example if you wanted to make a golden floor, a pond and a statue, you would write "Take 1 coke, 6 gold nuggets and 2 bituminous coal. Smelt the raw materials. Forge a bucket if we don't have one. Dig a channel at [where the pond should be]. Designate it as a pond. Use 18 gold bars to build [floor arrangement]. From the rest, forge a statue. Place the statue on [place of statue]

Then it's probably up to Remuthra to build it. If he doesn't get around to it, I'm thinking I could do it between turns. We'll see.
Welll...crap. I was rooting for the undergrove, truth be told.
I haven't the foggiest idea on what to request. I'll think about it.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 13, 2013, 11:11:56 am »

Okay - I've changed the first post and included some quotes. Let's hope the new version attracts more overseers and people wanting to be dwarfed.

Tell me if you think it's good, and tell me if you think it's bad. Same with my choice of quotes. Suggest new ones or removing the ones we have if they're not that good.
I think it's alot better than the previous one, the quotes are good too.
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 14, 2013, 05:42:34 am »

Can we get an ETA on the next update?
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 14, 2013, 03:39:39 pm »

I'd say Saturday would be when the next update comes. SC2 keeps distracting me :P

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 15, 2013, 06:23:29 am »

Okay. give me a turn too,  IF my computer can run it.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 06:37:30 am by Hotaru »
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 15, 2013, 09:51:35 am »

Added to the turn list. Thanks for your interest.

It might be a while though. We now have overseers for the next 6 years, counting this. Chaosgear and I finished in under a week, but others need to take their time, so if you sign up now, you'll probably get to play in a little under a month at the earliest and about 3 months at the latest assuming nobody goes over time limit. Let's hope those who signed up are still interested at that time.

Edit 2: Maybe we should make 2 weeks more of a hard time limit for the benefit of those waiting, after all. In the sense that if you're "almost done" at 2 weeks, keep going, but if it's not really moving along then we can move on to the next person without having to wait further.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 16, 2013, 01:08:36 pm »

Hey guys, update later today.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 16, 2013, 02:17:36 pm »

21st Slate
We waited a while for her to kick the bucket, before I got bored and just persuaded her to kindly move her wandering to the atom smasher. Armok's beard, this is the most mentally challenged group I've seen yet! No wonder they thought settling here was a good idea.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

...And here's the briefing I've been given on the progress of the fortress.
My life is nothing but parties and warm stone.

22nd Slate
One of the miners started babbling about being the chosen one or something, then proceeded to wall himself in the mason's workshop. The warm stone dust must have gone to his head.

Then I hear shouting from up top.

Go get them, Commissar!

23rd Slate
That miner finally came out of the workshop, carrying the fruit of "Armok's Will".

Ladies and gentledwarves, the most flammable cabinet in the world! Only 4800 Dwarfbucks!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 36