Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we call the underground forest?

The Undergrove
- 6 (40%)
The Corpselight Grove
- 9 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 36

Author Topic: Ghoullights Chapter III: The Lamentation of Dyes [Succession]  (Read 38136 times)

Destra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ghoullights - Zombie Elephants, Cruor and Silk [Succession]
« Reply #255 on: March 24, 2013, 07:04:37 pm »

Yea I've no idea how this actually works soooo ill hopefully maybe possibly not work on it and kill the fort, cuzz that would be bad, but ill forsurely have the fort uploaded by next week tuesday, at the latest, possibly before

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 24, 2013, 10:41:56 pm »

Been practicing for my turn, and it took 5 embarks with undead to not be swarmed by dead crows before I can set up an atom smasher. Current fort is going well though.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 25, 2013, 04:24:19 am »

Been practicing for my turn, and it took 5 embarks with undead to not be swarmed by dead crows before I can set up an atom smasher. Current fort is going well though.

Lovely, lovely, if maybe a bit early. Who could fault too much enthusiasm, though? Welcome to the Forests of Smearing, where the corpse birds watch you! Keep us posted on the goings-on if you like, as it'll probably be oodles of fun. Or Fun.

Destra, sounds good. Do you intend to use ascii or graphics? If the former, I'll patch the save as soon as we get it to use default ascii, since it's now in phoebus graphics and looks wonky when used without.

Remuthra, sorry to nag, but remember you need to upload that save. Any filesharing site will probably be fine.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 25, 2013, 05:02:19 am »

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 25, 2013, 05:50:05 am »

Okay, I have it. Thank you for your service to the fort and sorry to have to cut you short. Here's the save patched to use ASCII: http://depositfiles.com/files/qrk20krgz. It actually required copying some files from the default DF installation too, sorry I was mistaken on that earlier. The method to obtain it is 1) overwrite raws with default df raws 2) overwrite those with default modest mod raws.

I had a look at the save as usual. It is currently 14th Hematite, early summer. I've located the Operation Streetsweeper chambers. Very impressive great halls located deep in the stone near the magma sea. There also seems to be one huge drain leading off the map. Some of it is designation only. A miner, Olin Azugol is sleeping, hungry and thirsty down there. I wonder if she just has very poor living arrangements or a very annoying husband. Seriously though, she's probably stuck without a route out.

Which would probably be because those great halls are also filling with water, which is also flooding down our main stairway. I think I've located the source of the flood, and it is here.

I don't really know what this is for. Something should probably be done about it. Preferably somewhat fast, because, you know, dwarves have trouble moving around in the main stairway rapids. On the other hand, many report being comforted by the lovely waterfalls we now have.

Remuthra, will you do more updates telling the story?

Destra, you are now the fort ruler. Govern wisely and don't get us all killed if that's okay.

This is an almost full year still, but almost is almost, so I'm giving you a choice. Would you like to remain in power until 1st Granite, 1004 (3/4 year) or until 1st Granite, 1005 (1 and 3/4 years)? Or alternatively, I can take over until 1st Granite, 1004 and do some repairs, and then hand it over to you until 1st Granite, 1005 (1 year). Whichever you prefer.

Destra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 25, 2013, 08:09:49 am »

Well that's actually the graphics pack I use so pack is fine :d and its mostly up to you, I can run the fort for this remainder and then my turn as well, I will have 8 hours of a car ride at the very least where dwarves will be my highlight :d and hey, worst case I lock us in, well ok worst case is the dwarves go insane and we all die in a horrible !!fun!! Tantrum spirial by the loss of one dwarf who's a social butterfly .... That probably won't happen :d but just so everyone knows I probably won't have internet, maybe at the hotel but ill try to check as best as I can for dwarfings

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 25, 2013, 08:23:40 am »

Destra, you are now the fort ruler. Govern wisely and don't get us all killed if that's okay.
I present you the story of the average dwarven fortress overseer.

And Destra, while you're at it, could you please dwarf me as Chelic? Just pick any dwarf, I don't care about the profession yet.
What are we going to do in case of vampires?
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 25, 2013, 08:39:16 am »

Well, I'm really tempted by the opportunity to do a mini-turn myself, but I think it's more proper if you do it then. Oh, and we are already locked inside. There's still the matter of the zombie elephants, zombie caravan, our zombie militia and the zombie mussels and pearls on our doorstep. Might want to try to do something about that after stopping the flooding. :P

It's really dangerous now because dwarves can't swim up the stairway which is now just a downwards stream of water (who could?) to reach our food supplies, I think that's the problem, and are dying of hunger down there. And you know what that means, it could be a carnival of undeath down there soon for a change. Even worse if they drown.

Nobody really likes to, but don't be afraid to save and scum a bit if something goes horribly wrong and destroys everything. It's not sporting, but on the other hand if everyone dies we'll probably just do another rollback. Reclaiming will be completely impossible when there's something like a hundred resident zombies scattered about, and I don't really want this to die when there's no silk and no great tombs and no magma cannons built yet. Unless our demise is completely epic, in which case I guess it's time to move on to a new fort.

Looking forward to your updates!

Edit: in case of vampires, I suggest building a house for them on the surface and making them a special military unit. They can go outside without being bothered by the dead after all. Hell, you could make them pick strawberries in the forest and move them inside via airlock.

Or you could even contaminate a well with vampire blood, turn everyone into a vampire, let people out and build a dainty little utopian town of undeath and phantom spiders where dwarf and zombie live in harmony, complete with a migrant harvesting system for controlled feeding (they get to come back as a zombie and join the settlement, everybody wins). Come see our fine wax crafts and try our mead, made by our busy zombie bees! Pat a zombie elephant's trunk! Leave free of excess blood! Bring your children too!

Destra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 25, 2013, 11:17:23 am »

Lol or I could create a vampire overlord and take the occational dwarf from the slaves to raise above the others ... Hmm this requires a vampire ... Hmmm well I know what I'm gonna be doing :d but what's this I hear the fort is flooding? I can fix it! We may or may not have a loss of the upper levels for awhile but I can fix it! :p

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 25, 2013, 12:17:56 pm »

... a dainty little utopian town of undeath and phantom spiders where dwarf and zombie live in harmony, ...
Harmony? Meh.
It's a good idea though.

EDIT: Seriously, someone has to pull that off.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 12:20:13 pm by Yuli Vlasi »
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 25, 2013, 01:31:05 pm »

Journal of "Halfling" Aludoddom, 14th Hematite 1003

The reign of men, dear diary. When is it ever a good thing? Since my and Chaosgear Hazypaint's girly hands began digging out this huddle of an outpost called Ghoullights, we've been ruled over by two muscle-bound bearded danglers. What do we have to show for it? Bear with me here, I'm going to take inventory:

♪ We've torn the fabric of spacetime itself a new one with arcane technology after our steward at the time died in "glorious battle" with the fortress crocodile. ♫

♪ We've managed to find and buy more dangerous, exotic reptiles, because having those around never hurts, right? Just in case we should happen to need them. ♫

♪ We've now had TWO! Great Floods of 1003. The first Great Flood of 1003 was a small matter, but the Second Great Flood has turned our downward stairway into a downward expressway/merry waterslide/death-trap and half of us are trapped somewhere below in the bowels of the fortress... ♫

♪ ...trapped building a half-constructed marvel of engineering the size of the entire fortress that's some kind of crossbreed of soap-firing gun-trap and magma flooding chamber, which none of us can figure out... ♫

♪ ...that's now filling with water, like the rest of our fortress... ♫

♪ ...and there hasn't been A SINGLE ORDER OF CLOTHING THIS ENTIRE TIMErrrgghh

[the writing is illegible here, damaged by water]

...have decided we need to make a change. Remuthra the self-named Crazed Genius is no longer in charge of the fortress. We've decided
Spoiler: Destra (click to show/hide)
will succeed him immediately. She's only twelve, but a level-headed, down-to-earth girl like me and Chaosgear, reminds me of myself when I was younger. Has a strong sense of duty and a strange little habit of winking when she's nervous. Really likes our homebrewn gutter cruor - not just because of what it signifies like I do, but actually enjoys the taste.

I did hear her muttering something to herself about becoming Vampire Queen over Ghoullights, but I'm sure it was part of a joke or a teenage daydream. Or kinky fantasy. Wanting to be a vampire I can sort of understand, but wanting to rule over this soggy hole in the ground forever? Although it would fit this theme I've been noticing recently of "every overseer is more insane than the last one", but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Destra will be fine.

If anyone needs me, I'll be somewhere not making clothing. Maybe admiring our underground waterfalls. Tobot keep us.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 25, 2013, 01:36:34 pm »

If anyone needs me, I'll be somewhere not making clothing. Maybe admiring our underground waterfalls. Tobot keep us.

Worry not, my turn is coming up shortly. There WILL be clothes production on my turn.
Do we have black dye and silk yet?
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 25, 2013, 01:46:45 pm »

Worry not, my turn is coming up shortly. There WILL be clothes production on my turn.

At this time we have 0 units of phantom silk and 0 units of sliver dye. 3 sliver barb seeds, though, which can only be obtained by harvesting sliver barbs from the surface. If some hungry madman cooks and eats them which I suspect will happen, if I ever find out who it was I'll turn him into a zombie myself, grr. We're almost out of cruor with only 4 units remaining, but I'm happy to report we now have 432 units of fire clay stockpiled, up from 300.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 25, 2013, 01:59:09 pm »

At this time we have 0 units of phantom silk and 0 units of sliver dye. 3 sliver barb seeds, though, which can only be obtained by harvesting sliver barbs from the surface. If some hungry madman cooks and eats them which I suspect will happen, if I ever find out who it was I'll turn him into a zombie myself, grr. We're almost out of cruor with only 4 units remaining, but I'm happy to report we now have 432 units of fire clay stockpiled, up from 300.

Well.. as I said, just await my turn. If I must, I will construct a farming/clothesmaking tower.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 25, 2013, 02:09:55 pm »

Well.. as I said, just await my turn. If I must, I will construct a farming/clothesmaking tower.

That sounds truly glorious. No rush, though - my character is pissed, and I tend to borrow that emotion, but I myself find the crushing incompetence of our rulers somewhat hilarious. That is not to discourage you from being competent, oh no. I dearly hope someone builds something wonderful like that or the vampire village or who even knows, there's more potential here than I could ever have discovered by myself. Let's see what Destra can do right now.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 36