Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we call the underground forest?

The Undergrove
- 6 (40%)
The Corpselight Grove
- 9 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 36

Author Topic: Ghoullights Chapter III: The Lamentation of Dyes [Succession]  (Read 38679 times)

Destra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ghoullights - Zombie Elephants, Cruor and Silk [Succession]
« Reply #330 on: April 05, 2013, 11:20:56 am »

Lol I swear there was little I could do once the zombies started rising :p this time, everyone becomes a carpender, mechanic and whatever is required for metal cages, cuzz we have lots of iron and cages are better then anything atm!

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 05, 2013, 11:30:55 am »

It might be better to make wood and glass cages, since metal cages are several times heavier and thus slower to lug around. We have sand for glassmaking, at least one guy who likes green glass (not that cage quality will really matter), and a tree farm after all. It wouldn't make any difference for a few traps, but if you're going to be spamming enough of them to make Armok himself shed a tear, it probably saves time.

Edit: although on the other hand if we have lots of iron bars handy, then maybe it's just more convenient to use that. I don't know. Up to you!

Destra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 05, 2013, 12:00:24 pm »

You can make glass cages?? Cool! I shouild look into this glass thing more often! And yea I saw the serated glass blades and was like .... Uhhhh no, I'd rather keep intact zombies so they use less cages to secure, and I was just litterally using iron for the fact that its another cage to be made, not for the fact of weight, because honestly, armok himself with cry with tears of great sadness for the amount of cage traps that will be around, entire hallways will be littered with them, the tree farm, might be ... I might just randomly place then out there in hopes that if someone dies they stumble onto it, but the inner workings of the fort will be trapped , traps outside everyones bedroom door, the entire workshop area will have traps, traps EVERYWHERE, a repeat of the corpse slaughter shall not be!

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 05, 2013, 12:08:48 pm »

You can make glass cages?? Cool! I shouild look into this glass thing more often! And yea I saw the serated glass blades and was like .... Uhhhh no, I'd rather keep intact zombies so they use less cages to secure, and I was just litterally using iron for the fact that its another cage to be made, not for the fact of weight, because honestly, armok himself with cry with tears of great sadness for the amount of cage traps that will be around, entire hallways will be littered with them, the tree farm, might be ... I might just randomly place then out there in hopes that if someone dies they stumble onto it, but the inner workings of the fort will be trapped , traps outside everyones bedroom door, the entire workshop area will have traps, traps EVERYWHERE, a repeat of the corpse slaughter shall not be!

Of note:
A glass cage is called a terrarium or, if filled with water for holding captured live vermin fish, an aquarium.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Cage
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 05, 2013, 12:23:26 pm »

Traps outside everyone's bedroom? Not sure if completely insane, divinely inspired or both...

If you're really going to do it, though, then I would actually recommend putting a cage trap inside everyone's bedroom and making the cage out of valuable iron, preferably made by someone who likes iron because liking the material lets even an unskilled smith create exceptional works, so everybody can be really happy admiring their finely trapped bedroom.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 05, 2013, 12:28:40 pm »

Traps outside everyone's bedroom? Not sure if completely insane, divinely inspired or both...

If you're really going to do it, though, then I would actually recommend putting a cage trap inside everyone's bedroom and making the cage out of valuable iron, preferably made by someone who likes iron because liking the material lets even an unskilled smith create exceptional works, so everybody can be really happy admiring their finely trapped bedroom.

Dear journal, I am so overjoyed at the new trap installed in my room! I keep admiring the handiwork and the intricate mechanisms. And I feel so safe now! Anything that would try and get me in my sleep would instead become my new pet! Oh man, this overseer is THE BEST!.

- found on a zombie inside a cage
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 05, 2013, 12:44:39 pm »

Dear journal, I am so overjoyed at the new trap installed in my room! I keep admiring the handiwork and the intricate mechanisms. And I feel so safe now! Anything that would try and get me in my sleep would instead become my new pet! Oh man, this overseer is THE BEST!.

Brr, I think you just described the eventual fate of us all. Another reason to at least make those fine and tastefully arranged cages and mechanisms. Spending eternity in a -maple cage-, now that would be just depressing.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 05, 2013, 12:46:36 pm »

Brr, I think you just described the eventual fate of us all. Another reason to at least make those fine and tastefully arranged cages and mechanisms. Spending eternity in a -maple cage-, now that would be just depressing.

Much better :P

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 05, 2013, 12:49:51 pm »

Bomrekshed has been feeling quite content lately. He admired a fine marble machanism recently. He slept in his own masterwork glass box recently.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 05, 2013, 12:58:04 pm »

A true dwarf... zombie, I guess, can be quite content forever if he at least has an own *iron cage* or maybe indeed a ☼glass terrarium☼ to sleep in and a great mechanism to admire, even if he has complained about the lack of fresh dwarf brains lately.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 05, 2013, 03:29:21 pm »

Not sure if completely insane, divinely inspired or both...
[/quote]

This is Dwarf Fortress. What's the difference?
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Destra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 05, 2013, 03:52:25 pm »

So what your saying is that I can have dwarves inside glass cages? Including a severed hand that's going around killing people? That should be considered a vermin shouldn't it? :p what about reanimated beards? Incase we ever get hair ... Wouldn't that be awesome to have hair on your desk inside a tank that is trying to kill you? I swear I'm not insane ... Though I plan to have a cell for each dwarf who's died and personalised access rooms and with a glass viewing portal for anyone who wishes to come see their friends , and will eventuallly join them when they die too, it would be nice if I could figure out how to get a cage back though ... Reusability you see

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 05, 2013, 03:55:04 pm »

Well, you know my dwarven motto. 'When in doubt, fire it out of a minecart shotgun.'

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 05, 2013, 03:55:40 pm »

...it would be nice if I could figure out how to get a cage back though ... Reusability you see

Do you mean that? Because that's easy enough to engineer...

Destra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 05, 2013, 04:02:41 pm »

Well see I had an idea of a 2x2 viewing room with the undead wandering free inside there, and my orignal thought would be just to have a cage inside there, but then you can't get it back, so I'm not sure if an undead will try to approach a dwarf on the other side of glass, I've not worked much with cages, I ususally just kill things, but these don't stay dead you see, I mean we could always just use hammer dwarfs and have a small squad sitting there when its released and they just beat it to death until the cage is removed .. Mmm could work well too, and decent training,
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 36