Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we call the underground forest?

The Undergrove
- 6 (40%)
The Corpselight Grove
- 9 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 36

Author Topic: Ghoullights Chapter III: The Lamentation of Dyes [Succession]  (Read 38119 times)

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ghoullights Chapter II: The Blood of Nightmares [Succession]
« Reply #435 on: May 04, 2013, 12:42:28 pm »

We will shortly. I heard from Cog and he says he'll be able to start soon. I'm going to let him decide where chapter III will take place.  :)

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 05, 2013, 05:31:08 am »

I bet there will be zombies.
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 06, 2013, 02:27:19 am »

Just to let you know, I'm still alive! My weekend has been busier than expected, but I should have time tomorrow. I will try to get the whole turn done then, and let you know which direction things go!

And don't worry. There WILL be zombies.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 07, 2013, 01:45:00 am »

Okay. All caught up, but I'm uh... confused what I should be downloading. I don't think I'll pick after Destra's turn because, to be honest, I suck at aquifiers. I'd rather grab whatever came before, and settle a nearby region. Would that work?

Let me know what the file is, and I'll get going!
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 07, 2013, 06:00:17 am »

I don' think you can avoid the aquifer without changing the setting. However, it doesn't extend across the embark area. Frankly, I'm really amazed at there having been two major floods as I never had one. But, pick up Destra's save either way, and abandon if you want to resettle, to preserve history.

If you decide to re-embark, it should probably be along the western border of the first Ghoullights, to have the same biomes (spiders!) and minerals. That's what I would like, anyway. It was very hard to find this exact spot. But the aquifer is pierced successfully in Destra's save so if you can salvage it, no hassle.

If you want to make it simple, try Destra's saves. If you can survive, continue. If not, resettle. If impossible, Chaosgear's save. Impossible here meaning you can't survive or there would be loss of features (eg. no spiders).

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 07, 2013, 10:11:02 am »

I don' think you can avoid the aquifer without changing the setting. However, it doesn't extend across the embark area. Frankly, I'm really amazed at there having been two major floods as I never had one. But, pick up Destra's save either way, and abandon if you want to resettle, to preserve history.

If you decide to re-embark, it should probably be along the western border of the first Ghoullights, to have the same biomes (spiders!) and minerals. That's what I would like, anyway. It was very hard to find this exact spot. But the aquifer is pierced successfully in Destra's save so if you can salvage it, no hassle.

If you want to make it simple, try Destra's saves. If you can survive, continue. If not, resettle. If impossible, Chaosgear's save. Impossible here meaning you can't survive or there would be loss of features (eg. no spiders).

Okay! I'll do my best. I'm bad with both reviving biomes AND aquifers, but what the hell. I'll just play as a paranoid, paranoid character.
Update soon!

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: May 09, 2013, 12:49:49 am »

Year 1003

7th of Timber, Late Autumn. The Second Founding of Ghoullights.

Set a cage trap. Set another cage trap. Ignore the filth, the misery, the blood and gore.

No, that's it. Destra has been running this, but I think she is losing it. She has lost too much too quickly, and last I saw her she was anguishing by throwing a still-twitching arm.

On my way back, what do I see? Another one of the reanimated, right in the middle of everything.

This is IT! My family, my children, they deserve better than this. It's time I took our destiny into my hands, and straightened things out.

I have spent the last while with my head down, making sure the traps work. Time I learned the ropes and the place.

First thing first, our palisade has trees growing in it. Digging through the pile of documents, I find that Remuthra is the only one allowed to carry an axe to cut trees. Oh, and every Armok damned tree in the main cavern has been designated for cutting.

No, this won't do. Let me get this right.

Spoiler: OOC setup (click to show/hide)

18th Timber

We have lost 8 more. The dead litter the halls, and are coming back to life. This place is cursed as they get.
I will have to resort to unheard of measures. I will take a large empty hall, and entomb all the dead within. They will not get the proper honours they deserve, but this will preserve the life of others.

Ghoullights will live, or we will die. But we will not go quietly.

I must recruit more troops. Last night, I heard the howling of a were-skink. It echoed all the way down to the cursed tomb.

And yesterday, one of the kids spotted a monstrosity in one of the caves. A great eyeless mite, with a pair of knobby antennate. The kid called it Afi Riqui Bathore, and ran away.

The infrastructure is in shambles. There are no skilled masons or metalworkers. I don't know who will live. Some already wander the halls with their soul gone from their eyes - melancholy has taken them. How much longer can we persevere?

Give me strength...

1st of Moonstone

This is the end... we have been overrun... Save yourse...
*the rest of the page is torn off, and the journal below it is soaked in blood*

The denizens of Ghoullights have suffered much, but they fought to the end. One of the daughters of the late Cog escaped her mother, who has come into undeath, and rallied a few survivors. They tried to escape deep underground and seal themselves below, but it was to no avail. Those who were their neighbours just days ago chased them down and cut them one by one. As they fell, they rose as undead. They almost made it to the deep stairs...

More survivors clustered in the main cave, and tried to flee outside the palisade. Only seven remained, most of them insane. The lone miner started digging a hole, but the undead caught their scent. They rushed the traps, tripping into the few cages.
The cages ran out, and a single half-corpse crawled after the survivors. They mobbed it and broke it, but lost one of their ranks.
It was only a short period of time as both remains came back to undeath, and finished the job. Those whose minds weren't snapped fell first, and the rest welcomed oblivion.

Ghoullights descended into silence. It is doubtful life will ever sprout in its cursed halls.

Well, that ended quickly. There were only a handful of corpses inside, but with the tantrums I couldn't contain them in time. We survived for a short while, but now the only ones alive are two insane dwarves... wait... one

And they are being chased by the undead everything. This is the end of Ghoullights.

I was almost successful, by the way. Despite heavy losses, the undead were coralled to their future tomb. The military was down to two dwarves. But then somebody died of thirst or hunger or depression, and came back to life in the middle of everything.

On top of this, the tomb was compromised as somebody died on one of the doors and I couldn't get their clothing off it quickly enough. Outside there were cage traps, and it would take too long to demolish those. I tried to build a wall inside, but it was too late.

I will settle a nearby area, and try again!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 02:00:59 am by CognitiveDissonance »

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: May 09, 2013, 01:48:05 am »

I am ready to start the new settlement. I see that Ghoullights 2 hasn't actually happened yet, so this will be it.

I'd like input before I get going. Also, I would like people to claim dwarves. We will be starting with 7, and I could either use default/random, or assign specific dwarves/skills. I prefer the latter, but let me know if you disagree.

Settlement choices

I favour the southern embark, as that's simply easier.

Okay. Let me know your guys' thoughts, and also ask for dwarves. You can ask for:
- Name
- Profession
- One personal possession to bring with you

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 09, 2013, 01:59:55 am »

Aquifer piercing is a pain, but having a infinite source of drinking water is great when you have to turtle up.

Dwarf me as a Miner named Vendix. Give him a pick, of course.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: May 09, 2013, 04:06:05 am »

Ha ha, great start. Loving it. I'm going to agree with Chaosgear - the aquifer is very useful. Securing cavern water is just painful when everything that you kill down there will come back as a zombie and be able to swim too. You will have to wall off an entire underground lake while fighting zombies. Aquifer will probably again not extend across the embark area so you can very likely find a way through with no shenanigans, or if worse comes to worst, use the double-slit method - very simple and completely fail-safe even though that guide makes it look really complicated. It will be a handy skill to learn anyway. They're single layer aquifers too.

Also, there's only flux on the north edge of the map, so I believe the southern embark won't have any. I'd say take the western or eastern embark. Actually preferably eastern, because then you have a river for fishing... and we need fish to bait traps unless you want to use zombies for meat or rely on caravans.

Edit: building tombs in an undead region is massively dwarfy, by the way. The rest of us just used atom smashers but that is just awesome enough I'm not even going to discourage it. Things will burst out of their coffins when they feel like it after all.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: May 09, 2013, 04:19:58 am »

Ha ha, great start. Loving it. I'm going to agree with Chaosgear - the aquifer is very useful. Securing cavern water is just painful when everything that you kill down there will come back as a zombie and be able to swim too. You will have to wall off an entire underground lake while fighting zombies. Aquifer will probably again not extend across the embark area so you can very likely find a way through with no shenanigans, or if worse comes to worst, use the double-slit method - very simple. It will be a handy skill to learn anyway. They're single layer aquifers too.

Also, there's only flux on the north edge of the map, so I believe the southern embark won't have any. I'd say take the western or eastern embark. Actually preferably eastern, because then you have a river for fishing... and we need fish to bait traps unless you want to use zombies for meat or rely on caravans.

Edit: building tombs in an undead region is massively dwarfy, by the way. The rest of us just used atom smashers but that is just awesome enough I'm not even going to discourage it. Things will burst out of their coffins when they feel like it after all.

Well... to be honest, by entomb, I meant "walled in" :P

Eastern region looks promising. Not sure about flux, but I'll look into it.

Would you like a new representative dwarf for yourself?

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: May 09, 2013, 05:01:36 am »

Heh, of course. I like useless characters and custom professions, so be warned. This is going to be a little bit more complicated than what you outlined, so if it's too much trouble just do part of it...

No gender preference
Name: "Merry" (male)/ "Mimosa" (female)
Profession title: Wandering Minstrel
Profession content: Bookkeeper, Appraiser/Broker, + add any profession you need until there is an opening for a full time bookkeeper/broker. You can make me a stonecrafter or whatever for the first year.
Personal item: (liked material) flute, if not possible then silver flute, if too expensive - any pewter flute, or any flute if no pewter flutes exist
Other request: Out of the starting seven, I would like to be the one with the highest total of social awareness, empathy and creativity in that order of preference (influences social skills, makes me better at what I do - but the most creative dwarf should probably be a full time craftsdwarf). Make my bookkeeper's office just one single chair so designated in the dining hall, so I can sing my ballads there to whoever will listen and improve moods... and throw everything into a tantrum spiral if I die.

The plan here being, I've heard the legend of Ghoullights and come to experience and chronicle it myself. Hopefully make a few entries or songs about that when I get inspired.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: May 09, 2013, 08:52:40 am »

Give me a mechanic/architect and let him come to the embark with a colorful stone (cinnabar if available) to make a lever for the main gate.  (You will also need two additional stones for connecting mechanisms, if the aquifer prevents you from grabbing on-site stone.)

Sabretache

• Bay Watcher
  • "Knowledge is power, guard it well."
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: May 10, 2013, 05:19:34 am »

Good to see some life in the thread.  :)

Anyways I would like a dwarf named: Bruva Thaddeus, Profession: Apothecary.
If possible give him some rudimentary medical skills (likely needed due to the lovely wildlife) and some weapon skills.
Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: May 10, 2013, 06:30:33 am »

That makes five out of seven, including Cog. I think we could still use at least a warrior/teacher for protection and future military training, and a weaponsmith-armorsmith maybe.

Edit: don't let what we might need deter you from claiming a cheesemaker-soapmaker though, if that's your heart's desire. More "fun" for everyone, especially poor Cog. :P
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 36