Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we call the underground forest?

The Undergrove
- 6 (40%)
The Corpselight Grove
- 9 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36

Author Topic: Ghoullights Chapter III: The Lamentation of Dyes [Succession]  (Read 38681 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: Ghoullights Chapter III: The Lamentation of Dyes [Succession]
« Reply #495 on: May 23, 2013, 03:23:36 pm »

I can't take my turn until June sometime, both because of exams and because my computer is being fixed.

Wouldn't it be easier if you could just send you exams off to get fixed!  ;)
Might be. My school has this cool system where you don't have to come to school except for exams after the 30th though.

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: May 23, 2013, 04:23:32 pm »

Might be. My school has this cool system where you don't have to come to school except for exams after the 30th though.

They used to call that 'block release' here!!  Always made me feel a little like some dangerous criminal with a few days out of the slammer for good behavior!

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: May 25, 2013, 04:30:24 pm »

It appears I won't be able to take a turn in charge of the fort after all for the foreseeable future. Sorry about that.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: May 26, 2013, 02:11:19 am »

GAH! Well, I discovered a bug. Apparently creatures that die in a cage come back to life outside the cage. FML.

I lost the fortress once to this, but was able to savescum to the beginning. Didn't realize what the cause was, as I also had an undead badger infestation at the time. Just figured they toppled the cage over.

Now though, the undead water buffalo have come to life in the meeting room. They instantly killed Halfling's character, and Chelic. This is terrible... everything was going so well :(

Also, water buffalos cannot really be killed by new soldiers. I can use DFHack to kill them, but we are still left with two dead dwarves - which will probably come to life shortly.

I'm sorry - I was doing so well, but I saved right after the above happened. I could:
- DFHack kill the buffalo and the zombies
- DFHack kill the buffalo, lock the zombies. The problem with that is they are in the same room as our only, and almost all of our coke.
- Let the fortress die, start a 3rd embark
- Re-download, restart embark from scratch

Please advice. I'm... frustrated :(

EDIT: Normally, I wouldn't savescum OR use DFHack. But in this case, I want to keep Ghoullights going. I still have the original death save, if the vote is on let the fortress fail naturally and move on (either for me to re-embark or to another player), I could bring up that original save.
EDIT2: If you'd like me to start a new embark, I will get it done by Monday. I have the time, and don't want to make you all wait!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 02:30:39 am by CognitiveDissonance »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: May 26, 2013, 03:01:09 am »

Oh man. Yes, things that die in cages do come out. That's very frustrating and doesn't really make sense. ::)

Valiant effort anyway. If you have the time I'd vote for re-embark over hacking, but if not, hacking is fine too. Probably don't want to let the fortress die now as then picking the next embark location gets harder and harder.

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: May 26, 2013, 04:00:48 pm »

I say re-embark if you have the time to get it done! 

:)

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: May 26, 2013, 06:17:43 pm »

+1 for re-embark
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #502 on: May 27, 2013, 01:32:22 am »

In the same room as our only what now?

+1 for re-embark
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: May 27, 2013, 09:37:32 am »

In the same room as our only what now?

+1 for re-embark

Our only anvil. I think I could potentially rescue the fort - but only with DFHack killing off the water buffalo. But judging by the consensus, no hacking. So, I'll abandon and re-embark on a nearby region. Expect a save tonight :)
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: May 28, 2013, 09:35:37 am »

Is it possible to lure them into a new room somewhere and lock the doors?  Or lure them into an atom-smasher in the hallway?  Is it possible to do a cave-in trap without destroying the anvil?  I would try these things first.

In the future you may want to think of a way of disposing of cages so that the re-animated animals can't escape.  For example, dump them into a pit with no ramps out.  Or just atom-smash them.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 28, 2013, 09:55:24 am »

Is it possible to lure them into a new room somewhere and lock the doors?  Or lure them into an atom-smasher in the hallway?  Is it possible to do a cave-in trap without destroying the anvil?  I would try these things first.

In the future you may want to think of a way of disposing of cages so that the re-animated animals can't escape.  For example, dump them into a pit with no ramps out.  Or just atom-smash them.

Most certainly. In this case, I had the cage set up as the only meeting area... yeah, you can see the problem there. Going forward, I will either wall them off or atmo-smash them indeed. Maybe wall them off in a small area to be used for archery practice in the future.
Save delayed by a day, sorry. Insomnia is getting to me. But I had a chance to plan things out, in terms of gameplay and writeup.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: May 29, 2013, 03:04:11 am »

Would you believe me if I told you we are (mostly) alive? I can't believe the luck, bear with me while I prepare everything.

EDIT: Okay, it is EXTREMELY late so I don't have time for a write-up. We are... mostly alive. We have lost Halfling (sorry, didn't get a chance to rename you) and Chelic, gained an unexpected member and regained control of our fort. We have no rock or wood, but we have a lot of coal and some fire clay that I've been using. We are sustainable --- but, moving forward may be a challenge.

This was... intense. Emotional. Terrifying. Don't ask me how I did it. I will, however, give you a journal entry tomorrow. I was so focused I forgot to take screenshots of the survival process, but I have screenshots of the aftermath.

Until then, here is the save:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7702
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 05:16:22 am by CognitiveDissonance »

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: May 29, 2013, 05:42:21 am »

So, I believe it's my turn now? Gonna have a quick look around first, and edit this post later.

Edit 1: Was initially worried about the reservoir flooding/zombies getting in but it's since the path in is empty space they shouldn't path towards it, and it only seems to fill 1 unit of water at a time which just evaporates. Ast Solenbekom's corpse is interrupting everyone from across the moat but that doesn't matter too much at the moment. I'd really like to build a wall inside the moat but clearly as long as Ast sits there that isn't going to happen. Anyway, as long as that path to the reservoir stays open, the moat will never completely fill. Course, Can't put a floodgate in it because then something will path to it and get pushed inside the fort by the flow. Bah. As a side note, we've got a cheesemaker available for dwarfing, but no one seems to want to be a cheesemaker.

Edit 2: Ast also happens to be blocking dwarves from using the staircase/hauling what's left in the wagon down.

Edit 3: One of them went down, had a drink, then proceeded to go up to grab a barrel, drop it, and then run around like a moron aboveground. I have half a mind to temporarily remove their ability to see.

Edit 4: Decided to forge a crossbow and bolts. We have no bars. Wood/bone crossbow/bolts then.

Edit 5: They refuse to go downstairs to make ranged weapons to kill ast temporarily. Also, we now have a ghost too!

Edit 6: Got a couple of them to stay downstairs, but no matter who I put in the ranged squad they refuse to pick up any of the equipment. Yay.

Edit 7: No seriously, I assigned a burrow containing only the workshop with the crossbow, and they all gladly stand on the workshop, but ignore the crossbow it contains. And that's just the crossbow. They still have to grab the ammo and quiver.

Edit 8: They finally changed their mind and picked it up. Congrats, it only took you a month and a half.

Edit 9: They missed 18/20 shots. The two that hit bruised muscle. What was I expecting to happen?

Edit 10: Iiiii give up for now. I'll retry some other time today when I'm not seething with rage over dwarf ai.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 06:33:42 am by Person »
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: May 29, 2013, 03:58:40 pm »

Blessed are the cheesemakers!  I'll be him/her!

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: May 29, 2013, 04:28:32 pm »

Edit 10: Iiiii give up for now. I'll retry some other time today when I'm not seething with rage over dwarf ai.

Well, there isn't anything particualrly important above-ground. First thing you could do is simply forbid everything above-ground and erase the stairs for good measure.

Once there are some resources, you could easily cage the damn zombie.

At least we are alive! Hacking-free, too!
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36