Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we call the underground forest?

The Undergrove
- 6 (40%)
The Corpselight Grove
- 9 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36

Author Topic: Ghoullights Chapter III: The Lamentation of Dyes [Succession]  (Read 38143 times)

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ghoullights Chapter III: The Lamentation of Dyes [Succession]
« Reply #510 on: May 29, 2013, 10:22:55 pm »

Oh right cages. The reason I wanted to secure above ground was so that migrants could possibly get in. But yeah, everyone is probably gonna hang out underground for awhile.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: May 29, 2013, 11:15:13 pm »

Spoiler: note (click to show/hide)

What happened in the year 1004? I really don't want to talk about it, just know that we are lucky to be alive. But for posterity, I will set the record straight so that we can avoid this from happening ever again.
It's still a bit hazy in my head, but I'll do my best.

We arrived in early spring, and despite my misgivings, we started carving into the packed clay below our feet. Insanity has proven to be a remarkable fellow after all, and took the scouting duty on himself without my requests. On the upside, the area was lush and contained beautiful webs from phantom spiders.

On the downside, I quickly learned the area was filled to brim with rotting, dessicated wildlife, loping along and killing anything they could find. Just like the worst stories I had heard about the original Ghoullights. I had a quick meeting with Vendix, where we decided that the best way to approach this would be with a moat. Vendix quickly dug a nice ditch, which he then filled with water from the river. We had a nice plot of land, and even though the undead pangolins shambled around, they couldn't reach us. When it was safe, we built a bridge over it, rigged it up to a lever far below, and even set up the beginnings of a trading post.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There were a few things of note. For one, apparently the official records we have received marked Mimosa as "Halfling". That made no sense whatsoever; she wasn't even that short. I still didn't like her a whole lot, but I had made note to change that once we didn't have to worry about basic survival anymore.
Also, I remember Chelic calling me over to look at something in the moat - apparently a few papers had washed ashore. I shouldn't have read them...
Apparently, what we found were journal entries of overseers at the infamous first founding of Ghoullights, and the few bits I was able to catch were chilling.

"...walking horrors that eat dragons alive."
"...the horrors my forefathers have endured at the hooves of these wild beasts brought back from death."
"...zombified dwarves, elephants, oysters, and mythical creatures"
"...7 have fallen in the depths, the undead are swarming there now ... we have to seel it."
"So .. many undead .. we cant stop them ... the yak .. the traders yak ... oh gods ... it ripped us appart ... those who fell got back ... we cant stop them ... not enough cages .. the horror .... the horror .... so few of us left .. no hope .. no hope .... they are coming ........."

From what I was able to gather, the founder of that place was named Halfling, and I don't want to think what this apparent coincidence would mean, but... along with what I have read... this filled me fear...

I reluctantly agreed to put the water buffalo into the copper cage we brought with us. The cage was quite sturdy, so I had it set up in the main quarters so that we could oversee  the creatures. We fed them poisoned grass to ease their passage, and with time, they died. They didn't smell though, so everyone forgot about them.

Until that one, damned, fateful day. I was just admiring the new barracks when I heard a horrible metallic screech, and frightened yells, from the main hall. I didn't know what to do... oh Tobot, I didn't know what to do. I looked outside, and learned that one of the water buffalo had come to life, and had broken free of the cage. It was cornering Mimosa, who yelled at me - "GET BACK! HIDE BEHIND DOORS! SAVE YOURSELVES!"

I don't remember much of that night, but apparently Mimosa ran outside the main hall, screaming for everyone to hide within. Most of us made it, but the fell beast chased Mimosa into the smithy. Apparently, Chelic was working the foundry and didn't hear the commotion. At least, from what I can see of his corpse, he died quickly.
I held one door open, hoping that they would come out... but I heard Mimosa's death cries echo through the halls, and apparently others had to pull me back. I just froze there... we locked the doors, and the mindless beast just wandered around... sniffing... for us.

We locked the still dead remains of the other water buffalo in a room sealed with a solid door I myself made.

There were five of us left. We had beds and tables and offices, but no food or drink. Vendix dug down to the reservoir that we prepared for a well, and at least we could drink water. But then I remembered something - somebody dropped a bag of plump helmet spawns just outside the hall. It was risky as all hell... but I had to try...

I opened one door quietly, and bolted for the bag. I didn't see the fell beast, but the moment I stepped out I saw the grisly remains of Mimosa and Chelic lumber out of the smithy and break into a loping run at the sight of me. I ran back, locked the door, and heard them hammer at it with their fists. It sounded like Armok's anvil.

Luckily, the soft soil was fertile, and we were able to plant the four spawns. It is just dumb luck, really - we had a farm of those going, I have no idea how that bag ended up there. Maybe Tobot was looking out for us that day. But the spawns take so long to take root and grow... those were dark times. We wandered the few halls left to us, dazed with thirst and hunger. Most of us were reduced to hunting for the stray vermin, or scrounging for the few plants growing on that soil. I'm not proud of that, and let me tell you, knuckle worms are not tasty in the least. Vendix was not taking to this well, and he spent a lot of time yelling at me in my office. I just hope it helped.

We were starving. We were drinking water, but only to survive. We were going mad. I could see it in their eyes, and I'm sure they saw it in mine. Soon enough, one of us would snap and end this torment for us all.

But then, our salvation came in a very surprising form. One day, while I was reluctantly drinking the thrice-damned water, I saw a dwarf careen from above and splash into the water. He gurgled as he swam, his eyes filled with panic. I helped him to land, and after some time in our dining hall, he told us of his ordeals.

Not everyone knew about Ghoullights and its tales. He and a band of migrants left a small settlement after hearing of a prosperous new founding by the Mountainhomes. They learned about it from a passing caravan, which was scheduled to arrive here. They saw no trouble, and when they arrived they simply decided they were early. They set to work - fishing, cutting wood. But then the undead found them. Pangolins, rotting carp walking on land, skeletal elephants ambushed them and had torn them to pieces. While fleeing from the risen corpses of his comrades, he accidentally fell into our moat, and then was swept underground by the current. Now, he was terrified and traumatized - but ready to help us recover.

What followed was a very bizarre twist of fate. Apparently, our new arrival was not the only one who found the water funnel - a rotting goose and a freshly-risen carp followed him, and crawled out of the water with the most unholy screech. I panicked and ran, but not everyone did - Insanity's and Thaddeus' training kicked in, and they took both monsters down with their bare hands. Over and over again... Every few hours, the beasts would rise and attempt to get at us again. I was certain our doom was just one unlucky strike away.

But then, between the regular struggles, Insanity approached me and suggested a crazy idea - he had heard that the fell creatures only live in their complete form, and if butchered completely, the force holding their corpses together dissipates. It was crazy, but I let him do it - Vendix caved in the ground above, beneath some of the fallen trees (the woodcutter was long dead, but he saved us all) and I built a crude butchery and a tannery from the logs. After killing the beasts again, Insanity took the beasts to the butchery and started hacking them apart. He got carried away, and butchered them thoroughly - with the meat in the pile. Then, we tanned their hides - just in case. I heard that the carp scales came back to life... so all the better, really.

But with that, we were saved. When all was said and done, Insanity sampled the meat he butchered so methodically - and found it edible! Apparently, the creatures were not long since dead. We dined well that night.

Now, we were revitalized. With a tiny supply of wood, and food in our stomachs, Joe-Clark told me of his plan. We would take apart, the lever for the bridge, rig up cage traps, and capture the hulks haunting our halls. And then, we would be free.

It was risky, oh so risky... but it worked. I remember the blood-freezing moment when me and Vendix broke a support tunnel into the main halls, and watched what was left of Chelix and Mimosa rush us. We ran past the traps, and I prayed to Tobot it would work... but then, then we hard two telling *SNAP*s and I knew we were saved.

We set up a third trap, and lured the water buffalo corpse into it. And just like that, we were safe. We could drink real drinks, harvest our plants that have nearly gone wild, and try to salvage this mess.

We finally emerged from those cursed halls in winter of 1004. What we saw... corpses of would-be migrants shambling through the land, and broken caravan boxes in the distance. While we struggled for survival below, so many did not make it...

I've had enough. I commissioned the new arrival to work the kiln we set up what feels like eons ago. He made a few bricks, and prepared a few statues. What happened here... we must never forget. Here are a few sketches of what we are left with.

Here is where we made our desperate attempt at survival. Here we huddled, starving and desperate, while the mushrooms grew too slowly.

Here is where we got our water. This was never meant to be a real source, only one for the hospital's well...

I had a few statues placed in our places of struggle. We will always remember Chelix and Mimosa, who died as "Halfling" on record. But I am here to set the record straight.

Once things settled down, I had special chambers set aside for what is left of Chelix and Mimosa, as well as their killer. I asked for a commemorative statue to be placed there, and well...

Remembering how the cheese maker, and the undead that followed him, came from the water chamber, I had Joe-Clark set up a trap there. Just in case.

I also had a room made for me. After all this, I need time to think. To reflect on what had happened. I had placed double doors there, just in case... doors were what saved us, after all. What I wasn't expecting, is to find another statue of Tarem inside. Nobody will confess to having placed it there. I do believe the gods are laughing at us, our feeble attempts at glory. Now the statue sits there, staring at me as I write this. I deserve the judgement.

When we have the resources, I want to make myself a chest and a casket for my room. Just in case. But we are out of wood, and I feel useless.

I am done. I can't lead this anymore. Everyone is so busy, nobody wants to talk to me nowadays. Someone else pick up the responsibility. I need time to think. Please...

Spoiler: Overseer's Notes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 12:12:58 am by CognitiveDissonance »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: May 30, 2013, 03:45:39 am »

Wonderful madness. I'm so happy I read that. Great job and thank you for your service. Let's hope you can find peace again some day. Too bad about poor Mimosa, but that's what happens in Ghoullights. If you're not eventually going to die and become a soulless zombie, then you are one already. The laughing death-god statues (which I love) remind us of this.

The graphics pack seems to be causing trouble again. I don't know which tileset you guys want to use, so I can't personally fix it, but -
  • To revert it to default ASCII, overwrite save raws with modest mod raws. Then you can use any tileset but not any graphics pack that overwrites raws.
  • To use Ironhand, first overwrite save raws with Ironhand raws, then install Ironhand-compatible Modest Mod raws. The embark save format was Phoebus, but ditto for Phoebus if someone has reverted it to ASCII.

Modest mod link

At this point I'm thinking using modded DF may have been a mistake. The save does run overwritten with default raws, which, if my understanding is correct, leaves the worldgen and creature body part fixes intact, but removes the projectile, weapon and grazer fixes. Let me know what you think.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: May 30, 2013, 04:07:34 am »

Wonderful madness. I'm so happy I read that. Great job and thank you for your service. Let's hope you can find peace again some day. Too bad about poor Mimosa, but that's what happens in Ghoullights. If you're not eventually going to die and become a soulless zombie, then you are one already. The laughing death-god statues (which I love) remind us of this.

The graphics pack seems to be causing trouble again. I don't know which tileset you guys want to use, so I can't personally fix it, but -
  • To revert it to default ASCII, overwrite save raws with modest mod raws. Then you can use any tileset but not any graphics pack that overwrites raws.
  • To use Ironhand, first overwrite save raws with Ironhand raws, then install Ironhand-compatible Modest Mod raws. The embark save format was Phoebus, but ditto for Phoebus if someone has reverted it to ASCII.

Modest mod link

At this point I'm thinking using modded DF may have been a mistake. The save does run overwritten with default raws, which, if my understanding is correct, leaves the worldgen and creature body part fixes intact, but removes the projectile, weapon and grazer fixes. Let me know what you think.

Didn't give me any trouble, and I have been using my own graphics pack - Grim Fortress
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: May 30, 2013, 04:17:35 am »

snip

Didn't give me any trouble, and I have been using my own graphics pack - Grim Fortress

I like it. Glad you weren't annoyed. However, I don't think the clay tiles underground are supposed to read Ä and ì as in your screenshots, are they?

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: May 30, 2013, 04:26:33 am »

I like it. Glad you weren't annoyed. However, I don't think the clay tiles underground are supposed to read Ä and ì as in your screenshots, are they?

I believe they are, actually

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 30, 2013, 04:30:37 am »

Okay. Regardless, in the default ASCII the tile for those is ▓ (in the Wiki) and that makes the walls look smoother. To make it look like that if you're using ASCII and it doesn't, the above should work. But if nobody minds, so much the better!

I updated the turn list so that Person, you're officially up - even though you guys were way ahead of me. :)

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 30, 2013, 02:06:24 pm »

No, they aren't.  I use Grim Fortress, too, and I noticed it was a problem.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: May 30, 2013, 02:09:20 pm »

A couple of comments:

1. I'm surprised the cage traps worked on the dwarf zombies.  I thought that the fort's own citizens and livestock could bypass traps.  I figured cages would only work on wildlife and invader zombies.

2. The moat would probably be more secure without any water in it.  As it is, swimming zombies should be able to cross it easily.  I guess you removed all the ramps, right?

3. Good job surviving the year, and I'm glad you didn't give up and re-embark!

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 30, 2013, 02:13:10 pm »

2. The moat would probably be more secure without any water in it.  As it is, swimming zombies should be able to cross it easily.  I guess you removed all the ramps, right?

Oh yes, most definitely. Dig to spot > dig ramps > remove stairs up/ramps > block with wall

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: May 31, 2013, 02:27:06 pm »

No, they aren't.  I use Grim Fortress, too, and I noticed it was a problem.

I actually really liked the "bugged" look of Grim Fortress. It was my first go with the tileset, and I thought this was the natural look. Other games look so plain now... Oh well :(

Either way, I'm really excited to see this develop. I still cannot believe I pulled this off (and am very proud of it), and will follow this fortress very, very closely now :D
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 02:28:49 pm by CognitiveDissonance »

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: June 03, 2013, 04:10:31 pm »

Okay. I wasn't able to play as much as I hoped, but I am getting some things done. Time will tell further.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: June 03, 2013, 04:24:48 pm »

Happy to see that you're alive! You did mention you had major surgery so that's, you know... don't be too hard on yourself for not playing a lot of DF. Your turn won't be over for another week and I'm sure everyone agrees you should have more time considering the circumstances.

Destra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: June 03, 2013, 06:11:46 pm »

Oh I don't know ... He should be able to get it done in a week, you know , to prove his dwarvenness, :p but ya I'm cool with extentions, annnnd dwarf me as a female whatever,

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: June 06, 2013, 06:58:41 am »

Heh. I might need a small extension.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36