Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 1986199 times)

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« on: February 20, 2013, 06:54:08 pm »

Claiming the OP and setting some thread rules before it becomes a disaster this time, per instructions of Toady One the Great. 

THREAD RULES:
  • No discussion of admin-ing style of other servers.
  • No personal attacks.
  • No ban discussion, except as directly related to Urist McStation.  Please discuss bans of other servers somewhere else; the bruised feelings tend to get the general discussion thread locked.

Space Station 13...
...is an RPG running on the BYOND game making engine, simulating life aboard Nanotrasen Space Station 13.  Engineers, doctors, botanists, scientists, security, the captain, and many more live on Space Station 13, keeping everyone happy and healthy.  Until the !!FUN!! starts, anyway.

Play...
...as one of the denizens of Space Station 13, performing your assigned duties to keep the station running and productive, but...one of you may be a traitor!  Perform your secret corporate espionage, and escape!   Or perhaps you're a changeling, disguised to absorb DNA from the unsuspecting humans aboard the station!  There are also revolution, cult, and many more possible modes, including secret, where nobody knows what mode is being played.

Urist McStation...
...is running a custom fork of the tgstation BayStation12 code base.  Several members of the SS13 community expressed a desire for a server that wasn't completely clownish, while not being too hardcore on requiring roleplay.  Roleplay is encouraged on Urist McStation, but players will not be punished for minor slips of character.  For example, medical hacking doors is fine, security performing major surgery is frowned upon.

Resources for new players, and other items of interest:

• Urist McStation Discord.  Home of up-to-the-minute discussion of the server.
  • Tgstation Wiki.  This has guides for new players, job descriptions, and details on how most of the systems on our sister station work.  Experience there is mostly applicable on Urist McStation.
  • Space Station 13 Community site.  Has lists of Space Station 13 servers which may be useful.
  • Urist McStation IRC.  If you'd like to ask questions or help with coding, stop by!
Server IP is currently available on Discord:

https://discordapp.com/channels/145674110075273216/330947178149183489/618497175487250443

SERVER RULES (Please read)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Admin Charter
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Current admins of Urist McStation are (Bay12 forum name/BYOND name):

glloyd - Head Admin

For coders, mappers, and others interested in the codebase, feel free to fork the git repo:

https://github.com/UristMcStation/UristMcStation

The old tgstation fork: https://github.com/UristMcStation/UMcS

KG
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 09:15:03 pm by kg333 »

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist Station
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 07:20:34 pm »

...a server that wasn't completely clownish, while not being too hardcore on requiring roleplay.

I've been fairly interested in playing SS13 for a long time. Alas! My internet connection simply does not cut it. From this little description, I'd definitely be interested in joining Urist Station one day. Sounds like the sort of balance that would be enjoyable to me.
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 07:27:21 pm »

I'm still of the opinion that Urist McStation sounds more dwarfy, but thats hardly much of a point to say when we finally have a good OP.

It could do with some linkage to the /tg/station wiki though, KG.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 08:10:40 pm »

You know, I've watched the SS13 threads come and go and never read anything until now that made me want to play it. A nice OP, indeed. I may have to go reinstall BYOND.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 08:12:54 pm »

Been slightly interested, had bad experiences the one time I played.

Agree that Urist McStation would be better.  I can imagine a giant ASCII dwarf ☺ floating in space, with docking ports along the beard.  Either that or Station Urist instead.

So, do I care enough to play?

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 08:15:20 pm »

Oh god, I haven't played in forever. I went on BS12 for a few months, but fuck I doubt I'd remember anything. Might pop on later today though, I enjoy playing the stereotypical noir detective every now and then.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 08:18:16 pm »

Good point, Urist McStation is better.  I'll adjust the name on the server next time I get a chance to dig into the code...might be after this weekend, though.

Also added tgstation wiki, thanks Aklyon!

Finally, I did get the databases working, which most of the other tgstation forks don't have.  So our library catalog needs stocking, if any of you feel like writing bad fanfic. :D

Been slightly interested, had bad experiences the one time I played.

We're hoping to keep things casual enough to avoid the drama.

Agree that Urist McStation would be better.  I can imagine a giant ASCII dwarf ☺ floating in space, with docking ports along the beard.  Either that or Station Urist instead.

We're just running the standard tgstation map at the moment, so unfortunately not that dwarfy.  If anyone has BYOND mapping experience and wants to give it a try, that'd be an idea, though...

KG
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 08:22:27 pm by kg333 »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 08:20:53 pm »

Why Mc?  Where did that come from?  There has never been a "Mc" sound in Dwarf Fortress.

Urist Goongriefers the Space of Stations
Shoes...

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 08:22:37 pm »

Baystation 2: Electric Boogaloo
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Welcome to Reality.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 08:30:14 pm »

Why Mc?  Where did that come from?  There has never been a "Mc" sound in Dwarf Fortress.

It's a running joke about any given mook's profession.  Urist Mc<Job>.  Urist McLyeMaker, Urist McMayor, Urist McMiner.  Usually it's Urist McMigrant because it applies to crap dwarves.  Important crafters and soldiers are referred to by name.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 10:38:59 pm »

Things that you can do with an admin but no engineering (among other things): Start the singularity.
Things you cannot do: Get power from it unless the collectors are set up prior.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 10:40:23 pm »

It's a running joke about any given mook's profession.  Urist Mc<Job>.  Urist McLyeMaker, Urist McMayor, Urist McMiner.  Usually it's Urist McMigrant because it applies to crap dwarves.  Important crafters and soldiers are referred to by name.

I know that, but it still doesn't come from the game.  It bothers me way more than it should, especially since Urist Wordword is much more exploitable than Urist McWord.
Shoes...

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 10:48:23 pm »

It's based off a story about someone a dwarf who killed the other 6 and did everything by herself back in 2d times. It's kinda really old.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 10:55:29 pm »

I'm kinda interested in getting into SS13. How do I get started?

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 11:04:25 pm »

I'm kinda interested in getting into SS13. How do I get started?
Look up the /tg/station wiki, read any and all beginners guides. Once you read those, join a game and join as an Assistant. Assistants are kind of the "Newbie" role, and aren't ever expected to do anything. So you can basically get the mechanics down, and maybe ask for a more experienced player to show you the ropes.
Welcome to Reality.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 1654