Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Do you still play Civilization 4? Then get Caveman 2 Cosmos! (huge overhaul mod)  (Read 33845 times)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here is the link to the main page of the Caveman 2 Cosmos mod: http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=449

And I posted my first impressions here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=488885

Keep in mind...FIRST IMPRESSIONS. Not a review or anything like that and it was only 3 hours in.

They want to add multi-maps, so you start on the planet and as you advance technology...you'll (and I imagine the AI) will be able to colonize the moon and then expand into space itself. I think I got that right from what I read. This of course is a very hard thing to accomplish (multi-maps), and it is about another year away at the very least. But the mod itself is actually rather finished and has so much content. Currently it is most popular mod out, but it came out around the time Civilization 5 was released and there was a lot of uncertainty about if all the work would be worth it or not. But, a lot of Civ 4 fans went back to...well...Civ 4 and the mod has actually been quite a success.

So I'll sum up the features, but you'll find way more (and better) on the forums

-Constantly updated (especially SVN version, gets 1-4 updates a day it seems)
-Huge amount of research
-Lots of new civilizations (though the civ itself only has unique LOOKING units, they don't get actual unique units. The leaders pretty much make the civ unique)
-Big improvement to espionage
-Big improvement to diplomacy
-A lot of new settings when creating a game
-Your map can actually change over time (someone had a map and he somehow got a massive problem of global warming, and his map turned into a Dune style map...all desert)
-A lot of new ages to go through
-New map size all the way to Gigantic (hope you have a powerful PC :P)

and...well there is a lot more. But, since I'm actually still sorta new to the mod...I can't really think of them. You'll find a lot more info on the mod's forum.

Also I should add. It does need a much better PC than what regular Civ 4 requires. And the mod itself (SVN version) is 5 gb big.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 11:20:09 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is search approved by the way. This has been mentioned a couple times, but no thread has been specifically made for it. And it is a big enough mod, that it is rather more like a new game in itself.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There was a Let's Play of the mod around here a while back. It looked absolutely positively insane (in the full DF tone of respect & horror sense of the word).

Therolyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Its my favorite mod to play when I'm not into anything fantasy styled. However even my reasonably new computer has problems with the mod sometimes.

Great for for those with time and love building stuff.

Goobly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Way better than Civ V.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was playing a bit of this a few months ago. Pretty fun, though time consuming.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

I downloaded and played longer than my total Civ V time, but then I had to get into military expansion, and Civ IV combat pisses me off immensely, since you have to take ages to build a decent doomstack only for it to be ran into ground by a random bunch of enemy units in a bigger stack.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

GMichelIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I tried this, and Im all for depth and complexity, but I had no idea what I was doing / how to start. Tips?
...And by "Diplomacy" I mean "Axes" of course.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

I tried this, and Im all for depth and complexity, but I had no idea what I was doing / how to start. Tips?

Well, settle down somewhere, make a break for the tech that gives you a free worker, start producing food, try to remedy the unhealthiness with the building that give health, hunt, then hunt some more, continue hunting and follow up with hunting a lot.

Preferably give your hunting units the Hunter trait that lets them keep leveling up, I got level 20 Rangers by the time all land was claimed, and they are basically 1 riot = 1 ranger kind of thing for revolutions.

Once you get to Tribalism, build a Tribe and colonize somewhere nice, and build your new cities at worst so far apart that it will take under 3 turns to go from one to another without any roads (extremely imprecise, just don't settle to far away, I did that and it causes a lot of problems later on).

DO NOT pick any civic that gives you fixed borders just yet, you can expand culturally easily early on.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile

There was a Let's Play of the mod around here a while back. It looked absolutely positively insane (in the full DF tone of respect & horror sense of the word).
I've not yet given up on it, by the way. I don't know when it'll update, but it will. Eventually.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Decimator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I got quite a ways into a game, but then it started crashing a lot, so I stopped.
Quote from: Duke 2.0
Urist McMood: Must have... Glass!
 Kogan McHauler: We were able to get a few pieces from some encrusted trinkets. Hopefully, thats al-Oh CRAP we don't have any fuel!
 Urist McMood: That won't be a problem...
 *Starts bending metal with his bare hands*

Tronak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I downloaded and played longer than my total Civ V time, but then I had to get into military expansion, and Civ IV combat pisses me off immensely, since you have to take ages to build a decent doomstack only for it to be ran into ground by a random bunch of enemy units in a bigger stack.

Hey!, if you loath doomstack i've recently found an option in the BUG menu of C2C that lets you set a "maximum units per tile" variable (between 1 and 10 and then infinite IIRC), it says its beta, but it seems to work. For example I play it with 8 units/tile max and flanking bonuses, and the change in tactics is noticeable.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

Hey!, if you loath doomstack i've recently found an option in the BUG menu of C2C that lets you set a "maximum units per tile" variable (between 1 and 10 and then infinite IIRC), it says its beta, but it seems to work. For example I play it with 8 units/tile max and flanking bonuses, and the change in tactics is noticeable.

:'( (of joy) Yesssss... my preciousssssss max units per tile...

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have to try this. My first game of C2C was willfully ended because Canada, my closest neighbor, had trained massive Doomstack McRapeTrains and put them on every hill on their half of Africa. Even while totally surrounded, you couldn't take them down without huge losses. Losses enough to make the other doomstacks pounce on my now nearly-undefended cities.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Enemy doomstacks aren't nearly as scary.  Just get a bunch of ranged units and range bombard their stack.  Accuracy promotions helps here.  Then have some drill units mop them up for tons of easy XP and new GGs.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4