Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Do you still play Civilization 4? Then get Caveman 2 Cosmos! (huge overhaul mod)  (Read 33846 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

This looks so interesting.  I wish I was able to download it...
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I downloaded and played longer than my total Civ V time, but then I had to get into military expansion, and Civ IV combat pisses me off immensely, since you have to take ages to build a decent doomstack only for it to be ran into ground by a random bunch of enemy units in a bigger stack.

Hey!, if you loath doomstack i've recently found an option in the BUG menu of C2C that lets you set a "maximum units per tile" variable (between 1 and 10 and then infinite IIRC), it says its beta, but it seems to work. For example I play it with 8 units/tile max and flanking bonuses, and the change in tactics is noticeable.

Wow, I really should take a better look at that menu. That is awesome. I never liked the huge stacks. I'll probably choose something between 5 and 10, that seems reasonable.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

I downloaded and played longer than my total Civ V time, but then I had to get into military expansion, and Civ IV combat pisses me off immensely, since you have to take ages to build a decent doomstack only for it to be ran into ground by a random bunch of enemy units in a bigger stack.

Hey!, if you loath doomstack i've recently found an option in the BUG menu of C2C that lets you set a "maximum units per tile" variable (between 1 and 10 and then infinite IIRC), it says its beta, but it seems to work. For example I play it with 8 units/tile max and flanking bonuses, and the change in tactics is noticeable.

Wow, I really should take a better look at that menu. That is awesome. I never liked the huge stacks. I'll probably choose something between 5 and 10, that seems reasonable.

I'd probably go for 5, anything over that seems less like 'mixed unit tactics' and more like 'Spam, lovely spam, wonderful spam'
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd probably go for 5, anything over that seems less like 'mixed unit tactics' and more like 'Spam, lovely spam, wonderful spam'

Yeah, when I asked my friend he pretty much gave the same answer. Sounds like it would be a lot more tactical with 5.

My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

Yeah, it's less of a 'let's crash this big pile of troops with that other big pile of troops and see who survives' and more 'set up an artillery group on this fort with infantry on the hills, add a sprinkle of Great General, bombard the shit out of errything, errywhere'.

While it might have been irrelevant to compare vanilla Civ IV to Civ V, but C2C adds some tactical bonuses (e.g. during sieges, bonuses for encircling) and features (bombardment) but try to use these and you end up crushed into fine mist by a doomstack.

The only major problem I see is the city-stack, if it's set to the same as ordinary stack, the sieges may become laughably easy.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile

In all honesty this mod seems to be overloaded on stuff. There is a fine line between having too few features and feature overload, and this mod took the line, ran over it, towed it in, fashioned it into a jet engine and rode it like a mechanical bull into feature oversaturation heaven.

That being said, it's definitely an experience. If you have a week to spare. Perhaps it would have opened up to me more, but I didn't have the stamina to go past the ancient era or so, and that was an OCC. Multiple cities would have been even harder.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not managing to get anything but the preset scenario to get past initializing, personally.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

Not managing to get anything but the preset scenario to get past initializing, personally.

I used to have the same problem, then I didn't, but I'm struggling to remember how I fixed it. If you are using the Play Now! button, use the Scenario (those with C2C in their names) instead, and vice verse.

In all honesty this mod seems to be overloaded on stuff. There is a fine line between having too few features and feature overload, and this mod took the line, ran over it, towed it in, fashioned it into a jet engine and rode it like a mechanical bull into feature oversaturation heaven.

That being said, it's definitely an experience. If you have a week to spare. Perhaps it would have opened up to me more, but I didn't have the stamina to go past the ancient era or so, and that was an OCC. Multiple cities would have been even harder.

I think the idea is that 'OK, I'm all out of things to build' should NEVER be the case; I found multiple cities quite easily manageable, having 4 major and 5 minor ones (I started as the sole player in Africa, in Egypt to be precise, so they roughly correspond to Egypt, Congo, Guinea, and an enemy capital in Italy I consumed culturally), and I'm firmly in the Gunpowder era, this being my first Civ IV run beyond Prehistoric era (damn you, save system, for consuming my saves!).

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart

I'd like it more if I could play it without the turns taking 5+ minutes by the time I get to having pikemen.

Sums up my thoughts about it.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile

Ain't nobody got time for this.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I used to have the same problem, then I didn't, but I'm struggling to remember how I fixed it. If you are using the Play Now! button, use the Scenario (those with C2C in their names) instead, and vice verse.

I think the idea is that 'OK, I'm all out of things to build' should NEVER be the case; I found multiple cities quite easily manageable, having 4 major and 5 minor ones (I started as the sole player in Africa, in Egypt to be precise, so they roughly correspond to Egypt, Congo, Guinea, and an enemy capital in Italy I consumed culturally), and I'm firmly in the Gunpowder era, this being my first Civ IV run beyond Prehistoric era (damn you, save system, for consuming my saves!).

Nothing annoys me more greatly than in Civ 5. Run out of stuff to build, force to train units...but don't have nearly the income to support them. And the research to get wealth instead is far down the research line. Most annoying thing ever.

But that is probably what they were aiming for in Caveman 2 Cosmos, to always have stuff to research/build/train and what not. There is a lot of features, and I can see why someone may think it would be too many...but everyone has their preference.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

I'd like it more if I could play it without the turns taking 5+ minutes by the time I get to having pikemen.

I don't know how did they become 5+ minutes, unless you specifically set limited units per tile and AI chokes on that, as it once did for me. Also, there is an option to accelerate AI turns at the cost of the graphics during them. (For the record, I got to Riflemen right now).

If it's about YOUR turn taking long, you either need to automatize some units or know what are you looking for in your buildings.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart

I don't know how did they become 5+ minutes, unless you specifically set limited units per tile and AI chokes on that, as it once did for me. Also, there is an option to accelerate AI turns at the cost of the graphics during them. (For the record, I got to Riflemen right now).

If it's about YOUR turn taking long, you either need to automatize some units or know what are you looking for in your buildings.

how does one do that? Is it a BUG setting? (if so which tab?)
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

It is a BUG setting, yes. It is in one of the first tabs, I think, probably the C2C tab, but not sure. I am positive it's not in any of the tabs on the right end.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart

It is a BUG setting, yes. It is in one of the first tabs, I think, probably the C2C tab, but not sure. I am positive it's not in any of the tabs on the right end.

Seems it is something specific to C2C and not BUG-universal. I had hoped to find such toggle in RoM

Also, tadpoles.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4