Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: .∙• [44.12] Deeper Dwarven Domestication (DDD) – themed animals (UPDATED) •∙.  (Read 42905 times)

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Awesome!  I'm glad you like them   :)

If you want tiles drawn for any creatures you come up with, I would be happy to take a crack at that.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

I have to first think of some ;) The kobolds currently have 5 pets, a trapdoor spider, an ogre, jack rats, psychoactive toads and shalwars (tiny rapotrs that hunt vermin) All those have sprites already... but if you come up with any other ideas, let me know.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd like to submit one of my own domesticated animals. Its basicly a giant tenticled snail. You get shells out of them after a few years.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 06:55:02 pm by kopout »
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile

I always like to see domestic animal replacement mods. Great work!
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

I just noticed that the animals are all a lot, lot better then the ones I have in the mod. With better I mean for the fortress, the egg-cluster size is insane. I definetely have to balance them more.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

kopout, I like that snail :D

Thanks for the kind words jaxy.

Meph, yeah, the creatures do have some pretty large clutch sizes, in keeping more with vanilla DF clutch sizes.  Particularly the cavernkeet and caveturtle, which have clutches close to the vanilla turkey and duck.  I thought about balancing them smaller early on, but in the end decided to stay big, as the idea of the mod was to both theme the domestic animals and increase their role in fortress sustenance.  After some playtesting I do agree that they should be reduced in size.  I tend to have more caveturtle hatchlings than I know what to do with (aside from shove in a cage), and just a ridiculous heap of egg roasts.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile

Well, I've been playing with this mod for a little bit now, and at first I was a little off put by my civ's lack of cats, due to my affinity for them, but I now have to say I'm loving this mod, and that those dewbeetles are now one of my favorite creatures to have.
Also, I was very delighted to find out I had settled in an area when there are wild cats anyway.
Great work, again! Also, have you thought about making a custom hiveable creature?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile

Also, have you thought about making a custom hiveable creature?
Are subterranean hiveable creatures even possible?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile

Also, have you thought about making a custom hiveable creature?
Are subterranean hiveable creatures even possible?
I know that someone tried it before, i don't remember exactly, but I think it might have worked.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Should be possible, I see no reason why not.

The only problem is that you cant micromanage your beekeepers that well. You can only tell them to collect a colony, not if it is above or belowground, or what type of insect.

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Great work, again! Also, have you thought about making a custom hiveable creature?

Thanks mastahcheese, I'm delighted you enjoy this little mod.

Hiveable creatures eh?  That thought never even crossed my mind, but it is sooooo good.

Maybe a hiveable snail?  That seems quite proper, and interesting...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

I have 4 in my mod.

Bees for honey and mead.
Cochineal for dye, based on real life.
Silk moths for silk, based on real life.
Bane spiders for greenskin bane venom, for my "toxicist workshop".

I havent done any underground hive-creatures yet, but ants, termites or even special fungi would make sense. A fungi/spore hive that gives plants when the hive is harvested. :)

Spectrelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been playing the new version of Masterwork with these creatures, and they're just awesome. I want my own moleweasel. I breached the first cavern long before I was ready, and a female moleweasel got in there before I sealed it up. Years later, when I opened the cavern again, there were a bunch of little moleweasels running around, apparently so fast that the natives couldn't catch them.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

So, I hope you don't mind that I borrow your stuff for Genesis, they fit greatly as I already told. You are going to be in credits this moment (and the mod will be eaten by Genesis with its next release) :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's fantastic Deon, I am flattered that you and Meph both would consider using these creatures in your awesome mods.  I should get back to this and start making some more non-domestic animals to enliven the underground hunting landscape.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8