Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: .∙• [44.12] Deeper Dwarven Domestication (DDD) – themed animals (UPDATED) •∙.  (Read 42637 times)

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Deeper Dwarven Domestication - UPDATED to 0.44.12

This mod adds a short list of diverse and thematic creatures based on mountain and subterranean beasts. These creatures are meant to add some extra flavor, fun, and utility to your fortress animal farms.

Currently, the 0.44.12 version of DDD is just these same ten creatures as of old, revised and compatible to the most recent game version.  In the future I hope push out a broader overhaul of all domestic animals based on civilizations, but I wanted to get these core creatures updated first. Hopefully they can add to your enjoyment of this wonderful game!

This mod is menacing with spikes of pixels, both 16px (Phoebus or Mayday compatible) and 32px (Meph and Vettlingr compatible).  The Core mod file is required, and can then be supplemented with the graphics files.

DOWNLOAD:

Core Mod Files (with installer):
< [44.12] Deeper Dwarven Domestication CORE (ASCII) >

16px GRAPHICS Files (Phoebus or Mayday's Compatible):
< DDD Graphics (16px) >

32px GRAPHICS Files (Meph and Vettlingr Compatible):
< DDD Graphics (32px) >

Installation Instructions

Download and unzip the contents of the Core file and optionally the Graphics file into your dwarf fortress directory.  Accept all overwrites (there should not be any).  Run the DDD_installer.

This version of DDD uses entity animal tokens to assign the new DDD creatures to the dwarven civilization in the entity_default.txt file.  Also, in order for dewbeetles to be able to produce mead requires a slight change to the reaction_other.txt so that the vanilla make_mead reaction will accept their delicious honeydew.  In order to make this mod more lightweight and compatible to other mods, I've included an installer script that adds the tags to the entity_default.txt and reaction_other.txt files for you.  Simply double click the DDD_installer.exe and all changes should be made.

The installer script should paste in the necessary tags into those files without overwriting any other changes that have been made to those files, preventing conflicts with other mods or any already modified version of these files.

If you don't want to run the installer, or it doesn't work for some reason (like maybe because I'm bad at code), there are instructions on what changes need to be made to those files in the DDD_readme.txt file.

And as always, remember to generate a new world and strike the earth!

The creatures:

Boulder Crab   
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dewbeetle   

Badgerdog   

Moleweasel   

Leatherwing Bat   

Bearded Cavernkeet   

Tusked Cragboar   

Woolly Mountain Goat 

Cavetortoise   

Mountain Tuskox   

Spoiler: Compatibility (click to show/hide)

Credits

AdeleneDawner – whose dwarf caramel mod was an early inspiration to complete this
Vettlingr – whose wonderful DBDB mod kept this dream alive during my hiatus.  Check it out!
Ironhand – whose awesome graphics pack was shamelessly exploited to make more graphics
Kafine – whose awesome animal graphics were shamelessly exploited to make more graphics
Boydcarts – my good buddy at work who patiently listens to me talk about DF all day, despite having never played himself.  Leatherwing bats were his idea.

Links to the old version of DDD (v0.34)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 04:46:35 pm by Wannabehero »

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm still thinking over the purchase costs as well as the balancing of shearing and milking time intervals for these animals.  For shearing I feel that maybe some animals might be shearable to frequently.  I was trying to increase the value of livestock above simple meat and butchering products.  Input is always welcome.

I have a few scrapped creatures that didn't really fit into the core theme of the domestic animals list I was compiling.  I might finalize these and release them as an expansion to the basic animal lists, possible as new [PET] creatures while not specifically [COMMON_DOMESTIC], or possibly exotics if they are valuable enough (like the creatures whose bodyparts can be melted down into metal).  Ideas and suggestions would be most appreciated!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 01:19:21 am by Wannabehero »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution

If adding some sort of creature that can have parts melted for metal, they should need to be captured and domesticated (deep underground) and be only base/weak metals (Tin,Copper,Silver,Lead) anyway to have it as a very long shear time? And melt that part?

JackSlinger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nice work, I loved the dwarven caramel mod and this builds on the idea well.

Urist_McDagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This should work with any ASCII tileset, right?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

There are both graphical and ASCII versions in the first post, so yes.

These creatures are awesome. They have a nice flavor and they suit DF as well, and those tiles are great.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Absolutely.  The ASCII downloads don't include graphics, so the creatures should be represented simply by the specified letter or symbol from the creature raw.

These creatures are awesome. They have a nice flavor and they suit DF as well, and those tiles are great.

Thanks Deon!  I spent a good deal of time brainstorming the creature concepts that seemed to fit well with DF's atmosphere, and drawing the sprite tiles was a lot of fun.  I think I've got the bug for it now.  If anyone wants a custom sprite or sprite set made, I would love to take a crack at it.

Nice work, I loved the dwarven caramel mod and this builds on the idea well.

Thanks JackSlinger, I loved it too and always wished it was finished.  Maybe I can contact AdeleneDawner and fold some of the Dwarf Caramel creatures into an expansion to this mod.

If adding some sort of creature that can have parts melted for metal, they should need to be captured and domesticated (deep underground) and be only base/weak metals (Tin,Copper,Silver,Lead) anyway to have it as a very long shear time? And melt that part?

I completely agree, creatures that go so far as to give metal or gems or whatnot should be captured and tamed as exotic pets.  I had the idea for a bird (ironbeak cliffowl) that could provide iron when butchered, and a snail (coppershell tunnel racer) that provides copper when butchered.

I don't know how to increase shearing time, aside from having multiple tissues shearable so that it would require multiple jobs to completely shear the creature.  Then a custom reaction to use all the body parts (like requiring 4 sheared copper body parts + 1 fuel to produce 1 copper bar).

I got cute to get remains that you could melt down.  Actual body parts can't be designated for melting, but tools can.  When butchered the animals provide "remains" that are actually tools, whose only purpose is to melt down to metal.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Yeah, I always had problems with metallic bodyparts... I do use iron/steel armored animals, and they give "animal iron/steel" upon death, which is just another bodypart that cant be used for anything.

Even if I try to use it as a reagent CORPSEPIECE:NONE:INORGANIC:STEEL/IRON DF does not acknowledge it.

I think people would be interested to see this in masterwork... I do have some custom domestic pets, but nothing as fancy as these. If the question arised, might I include it? I would have to mod it a little, to fit the standardized bodymaterials, but otherwise I wouldnt change anything.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 06:23:07 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile

I am.... Quite impressed, this is amazing. While I've still yet to see any creature that could justifiably produce both milk and eggs, these are some novel and innovative creatures.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I always had problems with metallic bodyparts... I do use iron/steel armored animals, and they give "animal iron/steel" upon death, which is just another bodypart that cant be used for anything.

Even if I try to use it as a reagent CORPSEPIECE:NONE:INORGANIC:STEEL/IRON DF does not acknowledge it.

I think people would be interested to see this in masterwork... I do have some custom domestic pets, but nothing as fancy as these. If the question arised, might I include it? I would have to mod it a little, to fit the standardized bodymaterials, but otherwise I wouldnt change anything.

Did you try using reaction classes or material reaction products?  That seems to be the method other body parts get used by reactions.  For example:

If you make a new material template for your metal tissued animals (such as CREATURE_IRON_TEMPLATE for iron armored dogs and other iron containing creatures) you could copy and paste the raw for iron, then add MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:MELT_MAT:INORGANIC:IRON to the material template (or whatever other name you like, this is just an example).  The same could be done for steel, bronze, and so on for other animals.  Then a single reaction could be used to melt any metal body part, something like:

The reaction would grab any body part from any animal that is comprised of a tissue with a MELT_MAT reaction product.  It would return a metal bar designated by the material reaction product token (iron in our example).  Requires creating new material templates for your metallic animals, but that is stupid easy.

The other easy method I found to butcher metallic body parts such that they can be melted afterwards (without custom reactions) is to go into the material template for metal and adding

[BUTCHER_SPECIAL:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_BODYPART]

Where ITEM_TOOL_BODYPART is a custom tool that you make that has no specified tool use, and the name of which can be whatever you like, such as "remains" or "body parts".  Any animal with body parts containing metal tissues will yield the tool instead of untyped remains (for that tissue layer), and tools can be designated for melting.  The tool will carry over the material of the body tissue, such as "iron body parts" for example.  The only issue is stockpiling, as the meltable tool-remains will go to finished goods stockpiles.

You can also create unique tools for each creature/body part if you want more specificity.

If you don't want to edit material_template_default or the inorganic_metal raws, you can just add in the BUTCHER_SPECIAL token when designating the metal as a creature mat.

This approach is a little "cute", in that you aren't actually making the body parts meltable, but instead kind of curving around the idea conceptually.  If you wanted to skip the whole melting part, you could have BUTCHER_SPECIAL:BAR:NONE to have the body part's tissue yield a metal bar.

I would be absolutely tickled if you wanted to use any of these creatures in Masterwork, of course that would be fine, it would be better than fine, it would be great!  Anyone can use any of this mod for whatever they want, I'm just happy to share.

I am.... Quite impressed, this is amazing. While I've still yet to see any creature that could justifiably produce both milk and eggs, these are some novel and innovative creatures.

Thanks mastahcheese, I appreciate it!

Dewbeetles were the closest I could come conceptually to a creature that was both milkable and an egg layer.  They are for all intents and purposes giant aphids, about the size of jack russell terriers.  Seemed natural dwarves would want to make booze outta their honey stuffs.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 08:32:40 pm by Wannabehero »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: .∙• Deeper Dwarven Domestication (DDD) – themed domestic animals •∙.
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 09:10:11 am »

By adding [BUTCHER_SPECIAL:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_BODYPART] to the metal template, this:
Code: [Select]
[TISSUE:ARMOR]
[TISSUE_NAME:steel plate:NP]
[SCARS]
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:STEEL]
[RELATIVE_THICKNESS:3]
[HEALING_RATE:1500]
[CONNECTS]
[TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:BODY_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS:HAIR]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:ARMOR_EXTERNAL_TISSUE_LAYERS:ARMOR]

would result in the tool when butchered ? Because the tissue uses [TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:STEEL], which is a metal? I have to try this. :) Its not a big matter, but I would be very glad if it is solved. You never stop to learn. :)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 11:46:31 am »

By adding [BUTCHER_SPECIAL:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_BODYPART] to the metal template, this:
Code: [Select]
[TISSUE:ARMOR]
[TISSUE_NAME:steel plate:NP]
[SCARS]
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:STEEL]
[RELATIVE_THICKNESS:3]
[HEALING_RATE:1500]
[CONNECTS]
[TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:BODY_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS:HAIR]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:ARMOR_EXTERNAL_TISSUE_LAYERS:ARMOR]

would result in the tool when butchered ? Because the tissue uses [TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:STEEL], which is a metal? I have to try this. :) Its not a big matter, but I would be very glad if it is solved. You never stop to learn. :)

Yep, that should work.  INORGANIC:STEEL uses the metal template, so it would carry over the BUTCHER_SPECIAL token.  Just remember to make the custom tool!   ;D

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 02:45:03 pm »

I really like the creatures. As has been said in the thread already, they really seem to fit the DF atmosphere. Good job and a big thanks from yours truly!
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 09:18:01 pm »

Some well thought out and fitting creatures.

I have similar giant aphids in my unreleased antman mod. They also have milkable honeydew.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Just wanted to let you know that I finished my update and did indeed include your dwarven pets. :) I liked the idea so much, that I started doing kobold-specific pets only for the add-on race. :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8