Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Each statement takes about as much time as a regular step" latest patch notes  (Read 1625 times)

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile

So according to the latest patch notes each statement is the same as a step. Does this mean that if you meet 7-8 monsters that says something to you they get each get a free step/action when the other in the groups tell you who they are?

I know Ive entered holes with several night monsters and cyclops and the whole group told me who they were. This could potentially be fatal.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile

I think a statement will count as an action for just the speaker, and not the listener, so several enemies speaking at once won't be any different from how they currently all move (say) at once.

Pie Maker

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_MAKE_PIES]
    • View Profile

Quote from: Toady One
each statement made by people you are talking to is a "move" they are making either simultaneously with their other actions (like walking and fighting) or instead of them.

I'm pretty sure that the statement will only take up a turn for the speaker. (EDIT:In the sense that simply listening to what the speaker has to say will not take up a turn, but replying to him will.) Also, if I understood this quote correctly, talking does not necessarily take up a turn by itself-it can be combined with moving or attacking too (just like in real life ;)). The only big impact I can see in making talking take up a turn is that time will actually pass during a conversation, so you won't be able to ask someone an infinite number of questions in the space of a turn, as it is currently. Also, something could sneak up on you whilst you're busy talking and...interrupt the conversation.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 11:50:21 am by Pie Maker »
"W-w-w-w-what do you want?"
"...MORTAL. I COMMAND THEE. BRING ME CHEESE."

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Did anyone else read the patch notes and immediately think of some random NPC saying "A moose once bit my sister"? Maybe it'd come out more like "In 3, in the Plains of Goring, my Sister Alath was bitten by the stray Moose in the third finger, right hand, bruising the muscle and bruising the fat through the muskox leather glove", but the possibility seems there.

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Did anyone else read the patch notes and immediately think of some random NPC saying "A moose once bit my sister"? Maybe it'd come out more like "In 3, in the Plains of Goring, my Sister Alath was bitten by the stray Moose in the third finger, right hand, bruising the muscle and bruising the fat through the muskox leather glove", but the possibility seems there.

You know what would be amazing?  Running into NPCs who actually had really intense stories. 

"Hello!  I am Shoppy McShopkeeper.  Welcome to my shop."

"Hello!  Is this the general goods store?  I'm looking for some arrows and..."

"In 45, Urxat Snurgod the goblin lasher attacked me with his silver whip, striking the right upper arm and shattering the bone through the rope reed tunic."

"Oh, uhh- wow.  Okay... well, about those arrows, I need about-"

"In 45, Urxat Snurgod the goblin lasher bit me in the nose, and the severed part flew off in an arc."

"I'm... sorry to hear that... but I do just need-"

"In 45, I struck down Urxat Snurgod the goblin lasher with my bronze carving knife."

"..."

It'd be a lesson.  Don't screw with the shopkeepers.

Spy227X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You know what would be amazing?  Running into NPCs who actually had really intense stories. 

"Hello!  I am Shoppy McShopkeeper.  Welcome to my shop."

"Hello!  Is this the general goods store?  I'm looking for some arrows and..."

"In 45, Urxat Snurgod the goblin lasher attacked me with his silver whip, striking the right upper arm and shattering the bone through the rope reed tunic."

"Oh, uhh- wow.  Okay... well, about those arrows, I need about-"

"In 45, Urxat Snurgod the goblin lasher bit me in the nose, and the severed part flew off in an arc."

"I'm... sorry to hear that... but I do just need-"

"In 45, I struck down Urxat Snurgod the goblin lasher with my bronze carving knife."

"..."

It'd be a lesson.  Don't screw with the shopkeepers.
ARRGH...
*steals arrows*
The *wooden arrow* hit Shoppy McShopkeeper in the *right upper leg*, bruising the muscle!
Is this freshwater or saltwater? Because alternatively you could breed a large amount of crocodiles and unleash them into the waters... indirect genocide.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In that case, I'm not sure there really needs to be an agreement but rather a periodic BAC check on the companion link. I'll probably still add an agreement there to keep things within a single framework.
Sounds like the agreement will be "I"ll fight whatever you come across as long as I've got at least .45 urists of alcohol in me".

Which naturally leads to the adventurer carrying around a keg of booze and giving out regular doses to keep his army of drunks from leaving :D

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile

Which naturally leads to the adventurer carrying around a keg of booze and giving out regular doses to keep his army of drunks from leaving :D
I never even thought of that, that is hilarious
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile

I think someone needs to mod in "Swedish" as a language... :P

I'd settle for the shopkeepers just having, you know, arrows and such...