Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: above ground crops won't be planted  (Read 3003 times)

Werehuman

• Bay Watcher
  • Talented Modder
    • View Profile
above ground crops won't be planted
« on: March 12, 2013, 10:02:22 pm »

I've always gotten underground crops to work, never tried aboveground crops. I have not tried underground crops on this save, yet. I don't have any muddied stone yet, or deep enough soil for more than a top layer, so yeah. I've made 3 small underground plots, and I have gathered plenty of above ground plants. In the stocks screen, I have at least 20 seeds above ground. Yet in the 'q' menu on each one of the plots, for every season it says "No seeds available for this location". Any reasons why?
+Signature+
This signature menaces with spikes of boringness.

Adamantine Clowns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: above ground crops won't be planted
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 10:06:12 pm »

Did you embark on a freezing/mountain biome. According to the wiki. "Above ground crops farming is impossible on tiles that are part of Mountain biomes (or any other "freezing" biome such as Glacier or Tundra), regardless of how much mud or soil is present. "  So that would be the obvious thing I would look for.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 10:10:42 pm »

This has happened to me. In my case I was in a biome that supported crop growth, so I think it has something to do with the seed limit.

Werehuman

• Bay Watcher
  • Talented Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 10:48:06 pm »

Ok, so that is what it was.  :( Can't grow anything besides plump helmets for food I guess. Any way of circumventing this? I already have a thriving meat industry and I make cheese frequently, so I guess my dwarves will have die of too much cholesterol and heart blocking. :P
+Signature+

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 10:55:17 pm »

For the biome issue, try putting a farm plot directly over one of the areas you gathered the plants from.

You say you've gathered the plants, but to get seeds from them you need to process them. Berries are easy because dwarves will eat the berries and leave the seeds, but anything you can't eat raw needs to be brewed, threshed, or milled before seeds are released. Don't cook them; that'll destroy the seeds.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

ScegfOd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 12:56:01 am »

also, did you remember to dig down and then roof over the farmland to make it above ground?
if the soil was never exposed to daylight then it wont grow above ground crops (oddly enough, if you roof over the farmplot afterwards it can still grow above ground crops)
Why you kids feed troll?
We're just keeping it around so we can harvest its fur.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 04:54:00 am »

I've made 3 small underground plots ... on each one of the plots
Wait am I reading this right? You made underground plots, and tried to plant aboveground seeds in them? That will never work. Put the plots above ground, or make your existing plots 'above ground' (by exposing them to sunlight, then optionally constructing a roof over them).
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 07:41:49 am »

The 'underground' is almost certainly a typo. You won't get the 'no seeds for this location' message on underground plots, even if you embark with no seeds and no plants.

The message means you either lack appropriate plant knowledge (by collecting plants and producing seeds) or the location can't support plant growth (mountains and freezing biomes). If you managed to collect plants on the site, chances are you put your farm plot in the wrong part of the map; relocating it to the area where you gathered plants should indeed fix that problem, as long as you've actually produced aboveground seeds in your fort.

Werehuman

• Bay Watcher
  • Talented Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 01:38:44 pm »

Sorry, was a typo. I made three aboveground plots, and it wouldn't let me plant seeds in them, because as I now know, it was next to a mountain biome. I just now made an underground plot, so yeah I was just ignorant and didn't know about the fact that you can't plant aboveground crops in/next to a mountain.
+Signature+

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 05:42:33 pm »

I was just ignorant and didn't know about the fact that you can't plant aboveground crops in/next to a mountain.
Next to is fine; there should be no problem growing crops there (assuming it's not also a biome that prevents aboveground crops). Build your above ground farms in places where you see shrubs and trees growing.

Werehuman

• Bay Watcher
  • Talented Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 06:01:44 pm »

Now I'm just confused. I have a mountain in the corner, but I'm planting stuff in the middle of the forest. I'm guessing the not able to plant above ground crops in the mountain biome goes for your whole embark.
+Signature+

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 06:18:23 pm »

Now I'm just confused. I have a mountain in the corner, but I'm planting stuff in the middle of the forest. I'm guessing the not able to plant above ground crops in the mountain biome goes for your whole embark.
It shouldn't , but note that biomes don't cut off in even 48x48 map tiles. If your really out in the middle of the forest you might be experiencing farm-radar. Do you have an upright-sword-of-sunshine-and-rainbows in your stocks?
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

Werehuman

• Bay Watcher
  • Talented Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 08:16:06 pm »

You mean the 'funhouse'? No, I don't believe I do. I am about 10 tiles away though apparently from a small spire of mountain. I will make it as far away as I can.
+Signature+

Werehuman

• Bay Watcher
  • Talented Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 08:57:07 pm »

Yep, that did it. I guess I was just too darn close to the mountain. Well now I can grow all that useless crap the elves bring me, but mainly sunberries. :D thanks
+Signature+

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 01:46:13 pm »

Biomes don't necessarily respect elevation. I have a site that's half mountain and mostly flat with a couple of isolated hills, and the mountain doesn't follow them at all.

Mountains don't grow anything but grass, so if your non-mountain has a moderate or better covering of shrubs and trees, you can determine roughly where one biome switches to the other.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.