Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Middle Earth Dwarfs didn't have tantrum spirals...  (Read 15300 times)

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Middle Earth Dwarfs didn't have tantrum spirals...
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2013, 04:43:24 am »

Dwarven Child ran in front of a firing ballista
She survived a day after pointblank range shot
Then suffocated

It was my fault for setting a high traffic instead of low traffic area
It was very fun trying to keep them happy, then I abandoned.
She singlehandedly set off a tantrum spiral, that only got worse, as the next tantrum went beserk
A miner killed his own child, decapitating it with a pick
Then a passing marksdwarf decided to take him out with several bolts to body parts, then beat him to death with his kid helping, and the hammerdwarf arriving on the scene
And then, I just don't want to talk about all the vomit and blood that painted the areas.

It was also due to the convicting of an already dead capybara of murder (that was mysterious to begin with)
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2013, 08:43:33 am »

I modded my game so that I don't get a single tantrum happening.
The game became so much more fun after that, no more loosing the entire fortress because a fisherdwarf died to an ambush  :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2013, 09:20:54 am »

If they lost Erebor to one dragon, they didn't deserve it in the first place.
They fought not a dragon, but a Titan. And naught a single crossbow was to be found when the bridge was burnt down.

Zarat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2013, 12:49:28 pm »

If they lost Moria to one FB, and a goblinoid siege, they didn't deserve it in the first place.

They lost Moria to a 40d-esque "endboss" clown (unique, superpowered named clown), plus one hell of a goblin siege.  The reclaim ran afoul of some nasty critter, possibly an FB, and it's worth noting that Gandalf ran into FBs/Clowns in the caverns, too...  "Far, far below the deepest delving of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he. Now I have walked there, but I will bring no report to darken the light of day."

I have always been a little puzzled about exactly why the Balrog was the end of the line for the dwarves. Balrogs were tough, but not that tough. There are several examples of Elves who fought Balrogs, successfully, although they pretty much always died in the end. Feanor fought several Balrogs and their troll-guard. Glorfindel killed a Balrog in single combat. Gothmog, Lord of the Balrogs himself, didn't beat Fingon until another Balrog sucker-whipped him. Ecthelion killed Gothmog. Probably some other Balrogs died in the destruction of Gondolin; pre-canon writings have the Elves suicidally swarming the Balrogs to take them out.

Granted, those were all Noldor from Valinor, who were on an entirely different level than the regular old Sindar elves like Legolas. Still, even though the Dwarves were in decline, you'd think an entire city of Dwarves could muster an effective defense against a Balrog. The Dwarves of Belegost (IIRC) were famed for being super-effective against Glaurung, the Father of Dragons, as a result of their fire-masks or whatever. And the Balrog was with the Dwarves in Moria for an entire year. You'd think they could have plotted a cave-in or something.

There are some definite parallels between their history and our noble dwarfs or should i say dwarrows or dwerrows ( tolkien's "real historical" plural form of dwarfs).  How many of their mountain homes were lost because of a tantrum spiral resulting from say...melting to many masterwork metal cages?

As far as I am aware, the only dwarven settlements lost were that of the Petty-dwarves (dwarven exiles), which were hunted to death by the Sindarin Elves and probably Orcs, and repopulated very slowly; Nogrod and Belegost, which were destroyed as a side-effect of the War of Wrath, as the battles between the Host of the Valar and Morgoth destroyed most of the Blue Mountains; and Moria, which was of course lost to a Balrog until it was recolonized sometime in the Fourth Age.

Now...as for masterworks...the very last of the Elven kingdoms standing against Morgoth was Doriath. All the kingdoms of the Noldor had been destroyed, the Three Houses of the Edain (the only Men who were not in league with Morgoth) were virtually extinct. King Thingol of Doriath, a very, very ancient Elf, possibly one of the first Elves who had ever walked the Earth or at least only a generation or so removed, felt pretty secure in his fortress of Menegroth.

So one day, a man named Hurin brought Thingol the Necklace of the Dwarves out of the ruins of Doriath, one of the greatest dwarven artifacts. And Thingol looked at it and looked at the Silmaril that was then in his possession, which was essentially the greatest artifact ever made in Middle Earth, made by Feanor, the greatest Elf ever to live who set off all the events that led to The Silmarillion and the Lord of the Rings.

And Thingol thought to himself if he could combine the Necklace of the Dwarves and the Silmaril, it would be pretty awesome. The greatest thing ever. So he commissioned some Dwarves to do it.

So the Dwarves finished and it really was the Greatest Thing Ever. Thingol went to take it, the Dwarves refused to let him have it, Thingol got real uppity - along the lines of "who the heck do you think you are? I was born before your race ever existed!" and the Dwarves killed him on the spot. The Elves in Menegroth killed the Dwarves. Survivors went back to the Dwarven kingdom, and the sent out an army for revenge. The Dwarven army sacked Doriath, the Ents and some other Elves got together and retaliated and destroyed the Dwarven army.

And that's why the Dwarves and Elves in LotR don't get along. But anyway, it sounded kinda DFish to me.

Incidentaly, Galadriel (a Noldor from Valinor) met Celeborn in Doriath, and that's evidently where they both met Treebeard.

So when they say in LotR "hey Treebeard, long time no see", they really freakin' mean it because this was all about 6500 years before the events of the Lord of the Rings.

Which is another cool thing: Moria might have been lost to a Balrog, but the Dwarves had lived in Moria for thousands of years, so all things considered, that's a pretty successful fortress.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 12:52:13 pm by Zarat »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2013, 03:03:21 pm »

I think we've all learned something here today.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2013, 04:25:05 pm »

That Toady should release the new update sooner than later?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2013, 04:52:12 pm »

That Toady should release the new update sooner than later?
That too.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2013, 05:21:19 pm »

Nerd mode activate.

Dwarves were made illegally before the elves awoke. They are technically older.  :P

Regardless, It is generally understood that the dwarves of Moria were not only in decline, but had grown weaker due to conflict (For instance, fighting in the Last Alliance, the loss of Gundabad, etc.). Also, it is heavily implied that Balrogs were not easily killable through simple means. Whatever the reason, the only thing that was notably able to (reliably) kill or slow them in any way was the Royalty of the Noldor, Gandalf, and the Valar themselves. The older generations of the Noldor were clearly far, far above anything from the later ages. Fingolfin even dueled Morgoth himself, and wounded him so that he limped ever after. They (Balrogs) come from the same stock as Sauron himself.

Furthermore, a Balrog had not been seen in the world since the previous Age. It is sort of like if a flaming Tyrannosaurus wielding a greatsword suddenly burst out of the ground in pre-gunpowder London. Noone would have clue what to do.

There are a good many examples of artifact/masterwork items. Anglachel, The Silmarils, and the Nauglamir are fine examples.

As far as Smaug goes, he was no simple dragon. He was the last of the fire-breathing drakes, at least the last of any note. Weapons could not pierce his scales, so consider them made of candy. His eyes (and other dragons of his quality had this ability) could daunt or freeze a man with a glare. For comparison, his sire Glaurung (who wasnt even winged) routed an entire sieging force of Noldor. Smaug the Golden was much improved on the original.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2013, 05:30:14 pm »

It is sort of like if a flaming Tyrannosaurus wielding a greatsword suddenly burst out of the ground in pre-gunpowder London. Noone would have clue what to do.
Burn London Bridge down, call in the Queen. The Queen knows what to do.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2013, 06:20:23 pm »

It is sort of like if a flaming Tyrannosaurus wielding a greatsword suddenly burst out of the ground in pre-gunpowder London. Noone would have clue what to do.
BRITISHORYUKEN
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Zarat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2013, 07:38:35 pm »

Nerd mode activate.

Dwarves were made illegally before the elves awoke. They are technically older.  :P

Well hey, it's what he said! I think it didn't count before they were "awake", or something, because Illuvatar himself said something similar. Technically I guess one could also argue the Elves were made in the Music of the Ainur. :P

Long was their labour; and Thingol went down alone to their deep smithies, and sat ever among them as they worked. In time his desire was achieved, and the greatest of the works of Elves and Dwarves were brought together and made one; and its beauty was very great, for now the countless jewels of the Nauglamнr did reflect and cast abroad in marvellous hues the light of the Silmaril amidmost. Then Thingol, being alone among them, made to take it up and clasp it about his neck; but the Dwarves in that moment withheld it from him, and demanded that he yield it up to them, saying: 'By what right does the Elvenking lay claim to the Nauglamнr, that was made by our fathers for Finrod Felagund who is dead? It has come to him but by the hand of Hъrin the Man of Dor-lуmin, who took it as a thief out of the darkness of Nargothrond.' But Thingol perceived their hearts, and saw well that desiring the Silmaril they sought but a pretext and fair cloak for their true intent; and in his wrath and pride he gave no heed to his peril, but spoke to them in scorn, saying: 'How do ye of uncouth race dare to demand aught of me, Elu Thingol, Lord of Beleriand, whose life began by the waters of Cuiviйnen years uncounted ere the fathers of the stunted people awoke?' And standing tall and proud among them he bade them with shameful words be gone unrequited out of Doriath.
Then the lust of the Dwarves was kindled to rage by the words of the King; and they rose up about him, and laid hands on him, and slew him as he stood. So died in the deep places of Menegroth Elwл Singollo, King of Doriath, who alone of all the Children of Ilъvatar was joined with one of the Ainur; and he who, alone of the Forsaken Elves, had seen the light of the Trees of Valinor, with his last sight gazed upon the Silmaril.

In case anyone wanted the full tantrum.

Regardless, It is generally understood that the dwarves of Moria were not only in decline, but had grown weaker due to conflict (For instance, fighting in the Last Alliance, the loss of Gundabad, etc.). Also, it is heavily implied that Balrogs were not easily killable through simple means. Whatever the reason, the only thing that was notably able to (reliably) kill or slow them in any way was the Royalty of the Noldor, Gandalf, and the Valar themselves. The older generations of the Noldor were clearly far, far above anything from the later ages. Fingolfin even dueled Morgoth himself, and wounded him so that he limped ever after. They (Balrogs) come from the same stock as Sauron himself.

Well, the greatest of the Edain also did amazing feats, and seemed to sometimes be on par in some measures with the Noldor. For example, Tuor, or Hurin, or Beren. I do agree though. Galadriel threw down the Dol Guldur herself; nobody else in LotR could have done that, that's for sure.

As far as Smaug goes, he was no simple dragon. He was the last of the fire-breathing drakes, at least the last of any note. Weapons could not pierce his scales, so consider them made of candy. His eyes (and other dragons of his quality had this ability) could daunt or freeze a man with a glare. For comparison, his sire Glaurung (who wasnt even winged) routed an entire sieging force of Noldor. Smaug the Golden was much improved on the original.

This. Pretty much nobody's fortress would have withstood a Smaug without massive casualties.

I wouldn't compare him with Glaurung, though. Smaug did have the flight advantage, but I think the text strongly suggests that Glaurung was the greatest aside from the (winged) Ancalagon the Black.

...Which thank god there's nothing like him in DF. Ancalagon crushed mountains when he fell. You could be sitting pretty in your fort with the doors locked and all he has to do is land hard on the mountain to ruin everything.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2013, 07:57:01 pm »

BRITISHORYUKEN

This deserves a sig. May I?

Also this is the most LoTR/Middle Earth history I have ever had the pleasure of reading. His writing style is, sadly, too dry for me. The whole universe really interests me.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2013, 07:57:48 pm »

^feel free.
Sig! Onol

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2013, 03:40:10 am »

Well, the greatest of the Edain also did amazing feats, and seemed to sometimes be on par in some measures with the Noldor. For example, Tuor, or Hurin, or Beren. I do agree though. Galadriel threw down the Dol Guldur herself; nobody else in LotR could have done that, that's for sure.

And don't forget Tinuviel. She had a sorcery-bardic magic-duel with Sauron and kicked his ass. But yes, the point is that while the first age of heroes could handle the occasional Balrog, the dwarves of the second age were woefully outclassed.

Also, it makes you think: Gandalf the Grey was just even with a Balrog. Gandalf the White was exponentially more powerful. The most suspenseful scene in all three books (IMO) was where Gandalf the White is about to cut loose against the Witch-King, and...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The duel never happens.

Technically I guess one could also argue the Elves were made in the Music of the Ainur. :P

Touche  :)
But they were clearly self-aware before the elves. When Aule (the Valar that "smithed" them) goes to smite them, they flip out.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2013, 03:42:37 am »

And I really wanted to see that fight.
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5