Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Middle Earth Dwarfs didn't have tantrum spirals...  (Read 15522 times)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: Middle Earth Dwarfs didn't have tantrum spirals...
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2013, 07:42:35 pm »

But on the other hand, LotR gobbos need to eat.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Middle Earth Dwarfs didn't have tantrum spirals...
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2013, 02:20:09 pm »

Orcs eat too.

And yes, while Gandalf does have some kind of special relationship/interest with fire, he is not a spirit of fire in the same way a Balrog is.

I believe Tolkien explained in one of his letters that Bombadil wasn't meant to be explained - he acted as the literary example of mystery in every legend. The author always enjoyed that part of tales and myths, so part of Bombadil's character was shaped in that manner...
That's the great thing about fantasy: showing you something cool and leaving how it was possible up to your imagination.
Quite correct, I agree. Bombadil was not meant to be explained. Half the fun in him is speculating on what or who he could be  :)

They put him in Battle for Middle Earth (the LOTR RTS game). He was highly underwhelming. Gandalf states at one point that if Sauron regains the ring, Bombadil would be the very last to fall. In the game kind of skips around and injures things, and you can kill him with like..... a couple squads of orc pikes.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]