Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coins as Weapons?...  (Read 2488 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Coins as Weapons?...
« on: February 22, 2013, 07:34:28 pm »

I'm in a bit of trouble.

I started a fortress at a lovely location - a Good region with a river canyon and ample wood. However, I mistook the ore jutting from the cliffs as Limonite at first glance, only to discover a year in that it is, in fact, gold. My civilization is "AT WAR" with the Orcs.

After debating my options, the best non-trap plan I can come up with is to make gold minecarts and ram them full-speed into the invaders. More daringly, I'm considering making gold coins for the "buckshot" effect that occurs when ramming a minecart full of items into a stop at high speed. Gold is dense, but coins are tiny... still, if a fluffy wambler can kill a colossus...

Will this work, or is this the one problem I can't throw money at?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Coins as Weapons?...
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 08:05:55 pm »

Coin stacks smaller than 16 are weightless, according to the wiki.

Perhaps you could throw instruments at them instead? They have the greatest volume of any of the craft-type objects (ie. the ones that individually take less than a bar to make), and while you're not guaranteed three to a bar as you are with goblets the supply of raw materials is unlikely to be a problem.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 09:16:28 pm »

Do you have sand? If so, nothing says: My name is Urist, you killed no one I ever met, prepare to die. Quite like a cart full of Serrated Glass Discs.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 11:22:12 am »

Do you have sand? If so, nothing says: My name is Urist, you killed no one I ever met, prepare to die. Quite like a cart full of Serrated Glass Discs.

I considered glass discs, and maybe also glass spikes, but something about murdering my enemies with money seems so much more decadent...
Coin stacks smaller than 16 are weightless, according to the wiki.

Perhaps you could throw instruments at them instead? They have the greatest volume of any of the craft-type objects (ie. the ones that individually take less than a bar to make), and while you're not guaranteed three to a bar as you are with goblets the supply of raw materials is unlikely to be a problem.

Unfortunately, that kills that hope, I suppose. Gold violins might do in a pinch, but just throwing the bars at them could work too. I'll figure something out. Thanks for the info!
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 02:35:43 pm »

If the devil gave johnny his golden fiddle via minecart moving at mach 2, that song would've been way more interesting.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0