Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: How did you come across Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 7354 times)

Dr_Nocturne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How did you come across Dwarf Fortress?
« on: February 23, 2013, 04:40:47 pm »

I'm actually quite curious as to how many of you started playing Dwarf Fortress...
I started playing after I read the Let's Play of BoatMurdered about 5 years back and thought to myself "Wow, this game is awesome, I'll show those elephants." Downloaded the game and tried playing it... Didn't go too well with the first several dozen fortress... I learned that if I couldn't handle dingoes, I should stay away from elephants... Sad thing was I haven't seen an elephant until last year...
This won't end well, it never does...

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you come across Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 04:56:37 pm »

Personally, I saw a community game played by members of another forum a long while back and got interested that way. The dude running the thing also linked to the Boatmurdered LP and that sealed the deal. Like with you, it took a while to even read the game, and then another embark or 3 to learn how to dig/build stuff/play the game.
I learned quickly that in 40d, carp were elephants of the water.

Ringsea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 05:00:48 pm »

I found it via the Minecraft TVTropes page, which had a link to the Dwarf Fortress TVTropes page....
My first fort failed because I embarked with little to nothing, and had no idea how to dig when the elephants arived.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 05:31:47 pm »

From Gmod to physics engines videos on youtube (back when the layout was tolerable but still under continued degeneration), I ended up on a simulation of water and magma colliding.
This was DF, and it was good.

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 06:10:24 pm »

Someone made a video about the perfect metropoly in SimCity 3000. Here is the link:And in the comments section someone wrote: "I hope this guy never discovers Dwarf Fortress"
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 06:25:09 pm »

Someone on a Minecraft mod forum linked me to the wiki illustrated version of Bronzemurdered. I sat for six hours reading Hall of Legends stories. Then I downloaded Dwarf Fortress.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 10:16:32 pm »

Wikipedia.  ;D

Baccar Wozat

• Bay Watcher
  • [VAMPOW]
    • View Profile
    • My Fortresses
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 10:34:15 pm »

Someone made a video about the perfect metropoly in SimCity 3000. Here is the link:And in the comments section someone wrote: "I hope this guy never discovers Dwarf Fortress"
Here is the actual quote, for those interested who don't want to lock up their comp loading thousands of comments:
Quote from: Kriegsarschmann 2 years ago on YouTube
Holy shit I actually peed a little bit when I read that. This guy playing M-------- {expletive deleted} on this big, beefy super computer would be the most amazing thing ever seen. Or, shit, if he was playing Dwarf Fortress.

Can you imagine his fucking worldsave folder?
BTW, I actually looked it up because I thought for a minute it was me who posted that.

deve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 11:13:54 pm »

I found DF while searching for rougelikes. The funny thing is I've never played adventure mode...
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 01:31:31 am »

I got an interest in procedural generation, which led me to roguelikes, which led me to Dwarf Fortress.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

Snorunt30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 02:25:55 am »

I was sleeping, woke up randomly at 2am, searched Dwarf Fortress in Google. Thing is, prior to that random moment I'd never even heard about it before ???. No idea what I was thinking when I searched it, nor what made me think of the name (since I hadn't been linked to it, don't read TV-tropes, hadn't heard of roguelikes before DF, nor did I notice it on Wikipedia). Glad I did though :P
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 02:42:57 am »

I was sleeping, woke up randomly at 2am, searched Dwarf Fortress in Google. Thing is, prior to that random moment I'd never even heard about it before ???. No idea what I was thinking when I searched it, nor what made me think of the name (since I hadn't been linked to it, don't read TV-tropes, hadn't heard of roguelikes before DF, nor did I notice it on Wikipedia). Glad I did though :P

Shit! I know Dwarf Fortress selects those who were always ready for it, but I've never heard of it sending out a psychic summons before...

I was yet another Boatmurdered reader.  I like hard games, and games with a lot of room for emergent gameplay, black humour, and enough detail in implementation to get really creative with what I try to do, whether or not I succeed.  I had to try DF.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 06:07:14 am »

TvTropes.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 06:07:50 am »

3spooky5me

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 06:17:39 am »

Boatmurdered got me interested, and threads I'd read about it on various forums. TinyPirate's Absolute Newby Guide to 40d finally got me to take the leap :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6