Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Yo first fortress  (Read 2731 times)

Steelconfused

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Yo first fortress
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2013, 01:55:04 am »

My first fort went like this:

"Oh, what are all the ASCII symbols?"

"Let's read the wiki to find out what is what."

"There are tile packs, and they are part of LNB!!!!eleven"

"Let's install the LNB from Desura."

"Ups, old save is lost."

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2013, 03:19:31 am »

My first fort was pre-40d, but after the change to 3d. I didn't know how things worked, because I had only read Let's Plays of older versions. So I built supports to keep things from collapsing, and then flooded the fort trying make mud for farms. It was a good time, though.

I still have the save, somewhere. I never get rid of anything if I can help it.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2013, 05:03:44 am »

In my first fortress I took really huge stockpile of booze & food.
I dig some stone up and began building.
Then, migrants showd up.
I was testing the interface & was like "Boooya I can do this and that woaaaaa cool"
Then, second wave of migrants show up.
Then, "Ambush! Curse them!" (or what was the announce on 40d, I don't remember already)
And then "your strength have been broken".
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2013, 09:45:49 pm »

I lost my first fortress to wheelbarrows, I kid you not.
sounds...kinda like my own first fort.  Only I didn't need the wheelbarrows.

I thought you really had to stockpile EVERYTHING.   Thus, the dwarves wasted all their time hauling furniture back and forth between the trade depot and a stockpile. 
To top it off, this was the version where better mining skill->more clutter.   
Thus, not enough important stuff got done to prepare for the 5 goblin ambushes that got sprung at once.

These days, stone furniture is quantum stockpiled into three spaces behind the workshop by deconstructing and reconstructing the workshop.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 09:48:13 pm by fractalman »
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2013, 02:05:42 am »

My VERY first fortress had a cave-in somewhere in the caverns when I opened the game. I couldn't figure out why my screen was black. I abandoned and didn't come back to DF until some time later.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2013, 10:48:33 pm »

Only been playing around a year, myself ... while I'd heard of DF before it was Arstechnica's moaning about the learning curve that prodded me to give it a try.

So I specifically set out to make my first fort a learning fort and played pretty conservatively. Last I touched it, Cerolemal was chugging along at ~15 years in.

Still managed to have some nice misadventures, though!

First ambush wiped out my pathetic military, and my pathetic squad of emergency draftees who gave their lives so that the adequate mechanic could finish linking a lever to the newly constructed bridge across the entrance. At one point a bit later I was turtled for over a year due to back-to-back sieges. Eventually I did discover traps and marksdwarves, though.

Took me a while to figure out building destroyers, too. First encounter was with a minotaur who beelined to my SOOPER SEKRET emergency exit (I guess I thought hiding a hatch in the woods would make it hard to find?). Casualties would have been extreme if not for a hunter who happened to wander upon the scene. Then somehow I got the idea that building a door with only diagonal access would protect it. Mup the FB webber disproved that one.

So Cerolemal never fell, and now it's got magma via a 150-z piston and piles of Mup's FB silk. The foes it can't overcome are FPS and bad layout. I didn't catch on that dwarves move vertically just as fast as between levels, so most of the fort is dug out in a couple of giant layers. On top of that, I somehow goofed up installing the tile pack and wound up genning a world without minecarts or wheelbarrows (but all the slow hauling of the current release, oh yes...).

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2013, 11:18:00 pm »

My first fortress died to starvation.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending
Pages: 1 [2]