Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fur Trading Post  (Read 1247 times)

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fur Trading Post
« on: February 24, 2013, 03:35:40 pm »

For my next fortress, I want to make a fur trading post.

Short-term goal: Either hunt or farm fur (maybe both?) - Which leads to my question, do any animals actually have fur besides trolls?

Medium-term goal: Have a thriving "fur" industry. Every dwarf not feeding the fort must make fur! Also, some sort of defence might be necessary. Maybe dogs? They fit well with trading posts, right?

Long-term goal: Fur harbor! From the fortress and into a vast ocean, a pier for docking ships. A grand lighthouse (magma at the top? Perhaps! Though that took forever for me last time). And perhaps a bronze/copper statue. Just because.

Overall though, the question remains: Do any animals have fur or should I just presume that leather is good enough and try to make a consistent industry out of that?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Fur Trading Post
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 03:59:26 pm »

Wiki is your friend.

Alpaca Fortress.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 05:27:13 pm »

I think I saw a mod that included the option for some animals to make fur instead of leather out of their hides...

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 09:56:40 pm »

"There is currently a bug that causes only one thread to be created from a stack of wool."

Is the wiki still up to date on this bug?

Umune

• Bay Watcher
  • Not all who wander are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 10:52:17 pm »

"There is currently a bug that causes only one thread to be created from a stack of wool."

Is the wiki still up to date on this bug?
From my alpaca fortress, I believe it is so.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 11:19:08 pm »

Is it possible to mod the game to simply change the word "leather" into "fur"?  I can't imagine that would break anything, or even be unrealistic.  Fur clothes and armor are just as easy to imagine as leather ones.  The only funny bits would be non-mammal skins like "fish fur".  I guess you could use a word like "hide" instead.

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 12:30:04 am »

I think it might be possible to go in and just change specific animal hides from leather to fur. I don't really feel like doing it though, yay laziness.

I started up a fort at a tundra/arctic ocean/temperate saltwater marsh. It was going to be the awesome Tundravirgins. Up until the point where I had "fun" in the form of a freezing aquifer that swallowed my miners.

A new fort shall be established soon enough!

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 09:22:37 am »

there is a trick with raw skins to get more:

you'll need a necromancer, let the necro raise the skin and have your military or traps hack the zombie skin into more skin pieces, all of these pieces are tannable, rinse and repeat, now you got a leather farm.

I never tried with fur, but it might work too.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 09:24:10 am by Kaos »

Noodz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 09:35:54 am »

You can also build a weapon trap with 10 serrated discs on the bottom of a 100-level pit. Your goal is to generate the maximum amount of gibs out of wild creatures. Each gib will need to be butchered and tanned individually (so have plenty of workshops and dwarves around), but most gibs will generate 1 leather, so you can milk more than 1 leather from large or even small animals.

Unfortunately this does not work on tame creatures as dead tames can't be butchered.

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 12:38:17 pm »

I am now sad I don't have my Unicorn-farm fortress anymore so that I could chuck Unicorns down the tanning grinder and make ground-leather.