Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stupid Dwarf Tricks: ‼SCIENCE‼ Edition  (Read 874 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Stupid Dwarf Tricks: ‼SCIENCE‼ Edition
« on: February 25, 2013, 12:51:54 pm »

I was inspired to start this thread when I came up with an interesting trick to be able to build/extend a fort into a volcano, without compromising the overall structure of the fort, or the volcano.

Basically, what my trick involves is a swimmable amount of water (3-4/7 deep), approx 3x3 to be safe) that a (hopefully fast) miner works in to chip away at a volcano from the outside. As the volcano is pouring out magma. To further ensure safety of the ballsy miner, instead of mining outright, he's carving out fortifications at a time (which permit flow either way, and gives them time to escape without either being melted by the magma, or boiled alive in the water immediately (also why multiple tiles of swimming water is required).

At least, that is my proposal of a Stupid Dwarf Trick I want to submit. Unfortunately, it's at a conceptual/hypothetical phase, and I have yet to put it into practice. But if my calculations are correct, the water flows faster than the magma, thereby flowing through the fortification quicker than the magma, encasing an extension of obsidian almost immediately, from the outside; 3/7 water is technically safe to wade through for a dwarf (not dangerous terrain); and a swift enough miner with even minor swimming skill should evade the heat quickly enough as it rapidly cools the magma. Adding more excess water should further ensure the safety of the miner in question(able sanity) as he carves his way deeper into the volcano tube.

Summary:
Requirements:
-A volcano or magma pipe/source
-Minimum of 3x3 water at 3/7 deep required (box it in, and have a quick/efficient way of filling it up)
-A miner of at least proficient skill to get the job done quickly enough to evade sooner. Wouldn't hurt if they are quick and have some swimming skill while at it.

Process:
=Miner carves fortifications (one at a time) while in 3/7 water
=Wait for cooldown, and then mine out fortification
=Refill mining cistern, then repeat the process each tile inward and outward from there. More water (3-4/7 deep maximum) and safety ensured all around, then you can add more miners to speed up the tunneling/expansion.

TESTING PROGRESS:
Conceptual Stage (e.g.= Not tested)

So, anybody else got any bright ideas like this one?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 12:54:09 pm by Itnetlolor »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Stupid Dwarf Tricks: ‼SCIENCE‼ Edition
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 12:54:31 pm »

‼SCIENCE‼ Projects: (Progress) (Other Notes)
  -Volcano Base Expansion == (CONCEPT/NOT TESTED) (See OP)
  -Make Your Own Planepacked == (No Link/No progress noted yet) (I remember hearing something about this)
  -Offshore Dwarven Rigging (Based on Extended Dwarven Dam) == (No Link/No progress noted yet) (I gave the idea on the same thread, but I don't know if the proof of concept ever worked or not)
  -Pathfinding Manipulation - (Invader AI) == (WIP/PLAUSIBLE) (Invaders, depending on goal take the shortest path; close off various paths to manipulate their course. More research is welcomed on this topic)
  -Pathfinding Manipulation (Merchant AI and Wagons) == (CONFIRMED) (Wagons will still come if at least one depot is accessible (Make an exterior decoy if you have a lockout method of protection if you still want wagons); Furthermore, You can reroute them as easily as the Invader AI; where Trade Depots are concerned (Open Main Depot first, then lock out the Decoy Depot for it to work without losing the wagons.)
  -Dwarven Minecart Railgun == (POC works; Designs Welcomed) (Further testing would be acceptable.)
    =Dwarven Auto-Shotgun == (POC Works) (Tired of always needing to reload your minecart gun? Try this.)
    =Dwarven Water Gun == (POC Works; Deadly.) (A deadly modification of the railgun system to facilitate water as a projectile deadlier than a ballista array.)
    =Perpetual Motion Minecart Grinder == (CONFIRMED) (Turn your entry hall into a goblin processor.)
  -Training Enemy Animals == (Currently Being Studied) (From what I gather, it involves snagging invading animals (be they hostile wilds, or pets of the enemy); their kin will be yours (Tame, naturally). Caught my interest)
  ++Speedy Training Methods:++
  Weaponizing Waterfalls == (Currently being studied) (Gathering more info on methods of killing, making use of these things.)
  ‼‼‼‼EXECUTION METHODS‼‼‼‼
  ==DFHack-Based Stuff==

Stupid Dwarf Tricks: (Progress) (Other Notes)
  -Extended Dwarven Dam == (No Link/No progress noted yet) (You can dam rivers of any size, regardless width.)
  -Ultimate Minecart Quantum Sorting Machine == (CONFIRMED) (The ultimate in ultimate quantum stockpiling methods.)
  -Dwarven Powerplant == (POC Works) (Using an Over/Under waterwheel design and pre-igniter/fill station, you can generate absurd amounts of power, perfect for city-forts. 10,000+ power can easily be made with a good enough use of the design as a single station. FPS-Friendly.)
    =Dwarven Powerplant Sub-Stations == (No Link/No progress noted yet) (My contribution to further modernize dwarven powerplants. I suggest having dedicated switchbox rooms (designed like a mini-map) to control where the power goes.)
    =Danger Rooms == (CONFIRMED) (Using low-quality wooden spikes, danger rooms train dodging to your military)
    =Coin-Drop Armor Training == (CONFIRMED) (As it says on the tin, Drop lightweight harmless coins to improve Armor User skill, and other things)
    =Point-Blank Dead-eye Marksmanship Training == (No Link/No progress noted yet) (Theoretically, distance matters not when it comes to marksman training. I don't know if anyone studied this or not. Qualifies more as a trick than ‼SCIENCE‼.)
  -Obsidian Casting Execution Chamber == (CONCEPT/NOT TESTED) (Using a small room, store the victim, above that, 7/7 magma, and above that, 7/7 water. Using hatches, drop each one on top of the victim, and then mine out the cooled remains. Encasing works; this method, not tested.)
  ==DFHack-Based Stuff==
  -Obsidian Doom Box == (CONFIRMED) (It's essentially a hollow obsidian cube (3x3x3) made from DFLiquids to store troublesome items that cannot be removed from game by any means (Essentially, gamebreaking bugged items that crash the game if anything bad happens to them). After crafting the cube, Autodump the trouble-items inside of it, and keep them perma-forbidden. TIP: Use the Reports.TXT file for reference of the trouble item to Autodump to make it work correctly, and repeat crash conditions. No crash, then it works.)

Amazing Adventurer Appreciation: (Progress) (Other Notes)
  -Fluffy Wamblers, and the Colossal Response == (To be researched) (We know the incident all too well, but do we know the "Why?" behind it. Open to research.)
  ==DFHack-Based Stuff==
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 10:45:50 pm by Itnetlolor »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Stupid Dwarf Tricks: ‼SCIENCE‼ Edition
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 12:54:58 pm »

Secondary Post, just in case.

NOTE:
Feel free to contribute to this thread with links and info about other tricks and ‼SCIENCE‼ Projects, and I'll list them here in either of these posts. Just as well, feel free to contribute your own tricks, research progress, and etc. and I'll list it, link it, and update the OPs.

EDIT:
As of now, I'm putting in some I remember off the top of my head, but don't let that stop you from submitting/contributing anything. Edited a few tags to show how progress looks, as well as the linking. Feel free to submit links if I am missing any.

EDIT EDIT:
Done for now.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 02:33:25 pm by Itnetlolor »