Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress in 10 Hours on Ars Technica  (Read 12469 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress in 10 Hours on Ars Technica
« on: February 25, 2013, 06:52:24 am »

Not sure if this already has a topic but I had to post this for one simple reason.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/02/dwarf-fortress-ten-hours-with-the-most-inscrutable-video-game-of-all-time/

Somehow I got quoted and my fanart from about a decade ago was used in it hahahaha! It's on page 3! It's already a pretty amusing writeup, though one I don't doubt many of us are already familiar with.

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress in 10 Hours on Ars Technica
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 09:27:49 am »

I did find it particularly amusing that he was trying to put his dwarves in burrows thinking he was digging, and while digging out a soil layer he was wondering why he wasn't uncovering rocks.

I got a few good laughs out of it.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 10:43:41 am »

I did find it particularly amusing that he was trying to put his dwarves in burrows thinking he was digging, and while digging out a soil layer he was wondering why he wasn't uncovering rocks.

SHE

I think she's made a good point about the wiki. It's not really made for new players. It's mostly written for experienced players. Even the built in '?' in DF is not very intuitive. Having rock is one thing but getting it requires a whole lot of explanation, including the most basic of ideas: the world is a giant layer cake/stack of paper and you can only see one layer at a time.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 11:35:43 am »

I read a good analogy in the comments of the article (there is a flamewar there btw) that she tried the same thing a person would get from trying to read a book written in russian without learning russian first.

Or she is stupid or completely dishonest and is deliberately trying to hurt the game.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 11:49:07 am »

Or she is stupid or completely dishonest and is deliberately trying to hurt the game.

I didn't get either of those at all. Are you sure you didn't read a different article?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 11:52:27 am »

I didn't get either of those at all. Are you sure you didn't read a different article?

Indeed, you are confused. You read the New York Times article, the positive one about the game.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 12:00:11 pm »

Indeed, you are confused. You read the New York Times article, the positive one about the game.

I have read both. I'm guessing you've gotten lost in whatever is going on in the comments because the last line of the article is not negative at all. "Will we be ready by the time they approach? Probably not. But we’re getting there."

Casey wouldn't have a BS in Applied Physics if she were stupid.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 12:10:29 pm »

I think the problem here was that she didnt notice the look button. If she did that, she would have most likely noticed that she was digging soil.

Also, thvaz, this wont hurt the game. Dwarf Fortress has a good reputation and a large audience. No need to get defensive or angry.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 12:12:23 pm »

Trying to learn the game without a reference material when EVERYWHERE on the internet say to you to do so looks stupid to me. I don't believe she is stupid, though. She got the attention she wanted. Wasn't the other other article about DF prized as a great piece about games?

However she may be hurting the game by his article full of snark remarks and arrogance. People that were otherwise at least willing to try the game may now never try it, because the game is "inscrutable".

If she follows with another article redeeming the game, I would change my mind about her, but for now I can't.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 12:15:03 pm »

It was a humorous and entertaining article, along the lines of "WFT, D&D?" (one of my favorites). I enjoyed it. :)

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 12:20:25 pm »

Trying to learn the game without a reference material when EVERYWHERE on the internet say to you to do so looks stupid to me. I don't believe she is stupid, though. She got the attention she wanted. Wasn't the other other article about DF prized as a great piece about games?

However she may be hurting the game by his article full of snark remarks and arrogance. People that were otherwise at least willing to try the game may now never try it, because the game is "inscrutable".
Then prove her wrong. Write an insightful comment that brings out the good in Dwarf Fortress, make a cool fortress to show, write a guide that even newcomers like her can very easily understand, make the wiki more informative.

Throwing bile around doesnt accomplish anything besides making yourself look like an asshole, especially (just saying in advance, dont know if you actually have) if you start throwing it around articles comment section making players look like a bunch of fanatics.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 12:33:31 pm »

Then prove her wrong. Write an insightful comment that brings out the good in Dwarf Fortress, make a cool fortress to show, write a guide that even newcomers like her can very easily understand, make the wiki more informative.

Throwing bile around doesnt accomplish anything besides making yourself look like an asshole, especially (just saying in advance, dont know if you actually have) if you start throwing it around articles comment section making players look like a bunch of fanatics.

Disagreeing with what she did is being an asshole? So she is an asshole because she disagrees that DF is a wonderful game? Do you follow your logic?

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 12:36:00 pm »

Dude.
Read what you wrote.

EDIT: As in, I am not going against your opposition to her opinion. You are free to not like what she wrote. But saying she is stupid or implying that she wrote a negative opinion purely as a way to grab attention is crossing the line.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 12:39:41 pm by cerapa »

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 12:46:24 pm »

Dude.
Read what you wrote.

EDIT: As in, I am not going against your opposition to her opinion. You are free to not like what she wrote. But saying she is stupid or implying that she wrote a negative opinion purely as a way to grab attention is crossing the line.

Yeah, maybe I'm overreacting. Reading the comments on that article didn't help.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 12:48:32 pm by thvaz »

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 12:54:01 pm »

Dude.
Read what you wrote.

Yeah, maybe I'm overreacting. Reading the comments on that article didn't help.
This is something that you need to remember.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5