Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress in 10 Hours on Ars Technica  (Read 12467 times)

LeBaiton

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress in 10 Hours on Ars Technica
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2013, 09:17:07 pm »

Hey everyone!

I read this article and decided I definitely wanted to give this game a shot, and I'm having a blast so far! I thought the article was fun to read and made the game sound like a challenge. I've played games with steep learning curves before and this sounded like something I might enjoy playing.

I am using online resources and the wiki, and have watched about 8 hours of capnduck videos so far (his series about the fort in the haunted area is amazing), but I've also tried to figure out stuff on my own.

I haven't had a single fort getting passed the 2 year mark yet. The migrant waves in the second year tend to overwhelm me, but I'm slowly learning to cope.

The article didn't give me a negative vibe in any way, and apparantly I'm not the only one (Hi Elriond!). In fact, her humorous way of writing might have been one the deciding points for me to try DF.

(I can't seem to stay away from these fora for the last couple of days. So much info! Must... read... everything... but I only discovered the DF discussion part - and this thread! - today or I would've registered sooner to share my view on the article!)

Elriond

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2013, 10:21:40 pm »

Haha, a fellow Ars enthusiast. Hello LeBaiton! Now back to letting the game consume my soul.  :P

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2013, 12:21:59 am »

Well, then, Welcome to the Forums Elriond & LeBaiton! May your knowledge of DF grow deep, and ‼Fun‼ consume every fiber of your being. Then spread it to the ‼world‼.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Big Bear

• Bay Watcher
  • Just Right
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2013, 08:49:55 pm »

Yes, welcome to our new members!  :D

I'd be interested in hearing more from anyone who found Dwarf Fortress and this forum thanks to the Ars review, and what they think of the article, and their impressions of the game so far.

And everyone, please remember to vote on our own best 10 hour fort challenge, our response to the Ars review:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=123408.0

Miss Casey Johnston, the writer of the Ars Technica review, is also waiting to see our best forts, and may write about our efforts, so let's get our votes in!  ;)

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2013, 12:23:43 pm »

Big Bear

• Bay Watcher
  • Just Right
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2013, 12:07:38 am »

Thanks for the update, Ruhn! That's really great that she wrote a followup article based on our forum challenge.

Congratulations to Thatdude and Mishrak who had their forts mentioned in the article. I like the descriptions of Thatdude's tantrum spiral, and Mishrak's corpse-filled Ars tribute room.

It's kind of strange to me that she didn't mention Mishrak's use of a tileset, as one of her complaints in the original article was that DF is so inaccessible, and I think she could have pointed out that a tileset could maybe make it easier on new players.

Tehsapper

• Bay Watcher
  • Why, MrMayor? Whatever do you mean by "slade bed"?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2013, 12:14:26 am »

She should've pressed tab a couple of times and take a long look at every command available. For me, digging out a tunnel into hillside was enough to get hooked on this game. Too bad I think I abandoned that fort instead of saving

Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2013, 09:02:41 am »

This is completely off-topic.

Bavette, your icon is magnificently dwarfy, but also remarkably reminiscent of Bill Bailey. If he wasn't half bald, and had much better facial hair.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]