Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 202431 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #1560 on: October 31, 2014, 02:08:33 am »

From my experience, I actually tend to outclimb the 109s in my team, though they're often laden with gun pods so I'm not sure how that affects their climb rate.

I have yet to play a non-jet aircraft that has outclimbed a fully kitted-out 190. Though I haven't played the XP-50 or F7F yet.
Nothing important here, move along.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: October 31, 2014, 03:22:30 am »

The A5 is good when you unlock air ammo on the 20mm's. Before that it is a chore.
Though I am really waiting for the A8 with non-shitty MG's and 4 mg151's.

Also bf109 seems just too weak in armament. I get that it is pretty damn agile compared to FW but since they are BnZ planes i think armament counts a lot.

edit : well, maybe when it gets MK103 gunpods/Mk108 propeller gun it will get better, but i hear the mk108 is a pain.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 03:56:33 am by Naryar »

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: October 31, 2014, 08:39:17 am »

I've been driving my T-34 1942 and KV-1 L-11 recently and all I see are unstoppable hordes of Panzer IIIs and Panzer IV ausführung F2's

Fucking F2s. Get me every time.

As a person who has been in a Tiger, I have no idea who the hell you're going up against, but I can tell you that it's not actually that fun for us, either. The 88 is a damn good gun, but the rest of the tank is only barely better than a PzIV because of its armor. And that armor will not protect you against 85s. Hell, I've even had 57s kill me.

The 57mm is sick. I killed 2 Tigers in the T-34-57 in my second game in it, in RB.

I'm still angry at the British guns, though. 7mm guns should not be able to rip off wings with a quarter-second burst, even if there are 8 or even 12 of them.

lolwut. I've never seen those 7.7s actually do... anything, really.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: October 31, 2014, 11:21:15 am »

Gun pods will dramatically reduce their climb, yes.

109s are not BNZ planes which is something that should really be stressed.  They don't have the weight and speed of a 109 or Thunderbolt or similar true BNZ plane.  At proper BNZ speeds they lose handling performance and can rip wings, compared to the aforementioned Thunderbolt which actually turns better past 600kmh (A kind of theme with American planes.  The Mustang can also pull one, maybe two, extremely tight high speed turns before they start to lose performance).

They're energy fighters and there's more to energy fighting than boom and zoom.  Like I said, I get my best results in 109s using the ridiculous climb rate (I don't use gun pods) to gain altitude advantage and then use it to secure altitude for the rest of my team with BNZ-ish feint dives (dip after someone, force him to dive for speed, then just climb away again using your superior verticality to maintain speed and energy).  Once the main problems are at lower altitude your 109s can BNZ with impunity and you can always continue energy fighting.  Keep up those feint dives until the enemy   crashes or loses all his energy, use yo-yos and other out-of-plane maneuvers to bleed energy from turn fighters, etc.
Shoes...

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: October 31, 2014, 05:57:20 pm »

No wonder I sucked terribly when flying the 109s. That's a lot of very different tricks to learn from what I'm used to.

I'll stick with my BnZ planes, thanks. I'm a nightmare in the FW.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: October 31, 2014, 06:12:03 pm »

Ok so i got to tier 2 russian tanks and things just got stupid.
My KV-1 is apparently expected to fight Tigers and PZ4's armed with the long 75 mm gun.

Can't pen the tigers while both they and the AT PZ4's can pen me.
I assume it's some sort of revenge for tier 1 russian dominance with T-50.

I assume it might be because one of my tier 2 KV's has 4.7 BR for SOME REASON. It gets like 10 more penetration on its gun (still not enough to penetrate anything at ranges longer than 100 meters).

It's bad in Arcade and i can't imagine how terrible it might get in realistic where you have to take the insane drop on russian guns when matched against german laser pointers... then again in realistic russians have fridge launchers there to balance things out.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: October 31, 2014, 07:55:51 pm »

It is, basically, revenge for the T-50. It's also a way to harden up the Russians who will so far have been able to skirt by on their ultimately superior tanks while the Germans have had to learn to fight already.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: November 01, 2014, 06:26:25 am »

So today is war thunder's second birthday, and they are giving away planes for nearly free (well, 5 kills over a few days).

I got a LaGG which is exactly the same LaGG as the two LaGG's I have already.

Could be worse.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: November 01, 2014, 06:54:25 am »

Bought premium JadgPanther cos it's my favourite TD in real life. 210mm pen at BR 6.7 yo!
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Natti

• Bay Watcher
  • Gremlin lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: November 01, 2014, 09:13:04 am »

I don't see the imbalance you guys are complaining about, honestly. I've been doing amazingly well in my T-34(1942), and I just don't drive the KV-1 ZiS-5. I keep my BR low enough to avoid Tigers, and Panzer IV's with long 75mm cannons my T-34 can easily deal with.
I still keep the ZiS-30 around for some ridiculous long-range firepower.
I think my average K/D for all tanks is ~2. Slightly more for the German side, like 10-15 percent more.
+Amazigh (~Amazigh@poop.poop) Quit (Quit: Life is your butter, I shall be the margarine, beware heart disease.)

bertix

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity is over-rated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: November 01, 2014, 01:30:56 pm »

So apparently i'm doing exceedingly well since I keep getting classed with t5 planes with my german t4s (a thing that never happened when I was grinding my russian tree back when i hadn't maxed that).
What's up with getting paired with f9fs when you fly a ta 152 ?
Set phasers to tsun.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: November 01, 2014, 01:35:10 pm »

That's just being German really.

America is like Germany, very powerful planes that require skill to fly effectively.  Unlike Germany America is extremely popular (the most popular nation in the game for planes) so there's lots of bad players flying high level American planes in ways they were never meant to be flown.

Which distorts BRs.  American planes are generally lower BR than they deserve to be and the disparity gets worse the higher (and more complex) the planes get. 
Shoes...

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: November 01, 2014, 01:56:45 pm »

So apparently i'm doing exceedingly well since I keep getting classed with t5 planes with my german t4s (a thing that never happened when I was grinding my russian tree back when i hadn't maxed that).
What's up with getting paired with f9fs when you fly a ta 152 ?

You are German. You just out-fly them.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: November 01, 2014, 01:59:40 pm »

I got the german hydro-biplane. Probably going to be about as useful as my brand new Po-2.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: November 01, 2014, 02:28:01 pm »

time for my own gf rant. went up against a t-...35, I think, in my panzer 4. first shot takes out entire crew but gunner, second shot takes out gunner, tank is somehow not dead, and he one shots me without a crew....I don't even know.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 163