Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Mewgenics - Cats! SCIENCE?! Adventure!.....The cats came back 10 years later.  (Read 27692 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

It's high time this game got a thread.

Homepage - http://mewgenics.com/

RPS Articles - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/25/cats-out-of-the-bag-mew-genics/
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/21/ridiculon-the-mew-sic-of-mew-genics/
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/12/17/cat-ching-up-with-mew-genics/
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/05/kitty-kharacters-mew-genics-hints/
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/22/curiosity-rebuilds-the-cat-mew-genics/

A Team Meat Blog post about the game - http://supermeatboy.com/141/Mew_Genics_/#b

Caturdays! - http://mewgenics.com/147/Its_Caturday_again_/#b

Release date: Not right maow. (Earlyish 2014. Cats do what they want, when they're damn well ready to!)

So WTF is Mewgenics? According to Team Meat:

I think most would describe Mew-Genics as a cross between The Sims and Pokemon with a sprinkling of Animal Crossing and a dash of Tamagotchi , but at its core the game really isn't like anything we've seen before.

Mew-Genics revolves around Cats, obviously. We knew tending to these cats in a simulated "cat lady" environment would be the foundation of our design, but the core of what we are trying to do is make a game that feels alive, a game that creates stories as you play where consequences actually mean something...

Perhaps you like your game pitches in comic format instead?

It's a game wherein you collect cats and breed them. A fairly simple premise but with big implications, especially in the hands of Team Meat. In the best tradition of Creatures and other AI Life games, cats have genetic code that gets passed down through successive generations, affecting everything from appearance to behavior. Cats also have personalities that can be modified based on the circumstances of their existence. For example:

Spoiler: Story Time (click to show/hide)

In addition to raising them, breeding and tampering with their genetic code, you can enter cats into beauty pageants, fights, races or you can stuff them into a Cryo-cube, to revive them later for breeding or to perhaps cure them of a terminal illness. Read the blog, it goes into further details. Something about feline aids and going to jail for animal abuse. Also, I guess there's some sort of collection mini-game and some chick named Nona who needs saving. Whatever. MEOW.

According to the RPS article, there are approximately 25,418,658,283,290,000,000,000,000 cats in the system so far. Dat's a lot of kitties, enough to ensure you won't encounter duplicates for a long, long time.

Seems like the cat will be out of the bag soon.....
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 10:17:38 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Mewgenics - Crazy Cat Lady Simulator from Team Meat
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 12:13:13 pm »

FINALLY! EEEEEHEHEHEHE~

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 12:16:02 pm »

I think most would describe Mew-Genics as a cross between The Sims and Pokemon with a sprinkling of Animal Crossing and a dash of Tamagotchi , but at its core the game really isn't like anything we've seen before.
D: D: D:

I've been trying to find a decent animal breeding game forever, to the point where trying to make one was my first ever programming project.

If this isn't secretly terrible in some way I'm going to be buying it on release day.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 12:17:43 pm »

Cat simulator where you can mutilate cats at your will?

I predict that the amount of B12ers who own this game will be about 68% of the total forum population.

Seriously tough, I'm kinda hyped. Team Meat are good devs, they have proven that, and this has some serious potential. One of the flash games that's forever engraved in my memory, triachnid, was apparantly one of their earliest productions. It's kinda weird to see one of those long-past games when you boot up the basement collection in steam.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 12:23:13 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 12:25:51 pm »

Cat simulator where you can mutilate cats at your will?

So, it's practically dwarf fort already. :D

Yeah, I can't wait for this, looks like a lot of fun. but dear lord how many freakin trillion types of cat have they made?

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 12:27:01 pm »

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 12:38:08 pm »

ALLL MY MONEY

ALLL MY CAT(S)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLL OF MY EVERYTHING.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 12:54:26 pm »

Posting to Watch... cause butcher shop.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Linenoise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 01:21:15 pm »

Crusader Kings meets Cats. Muahaha!
This is brilliant and I wants!
 :D

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 01:25:07 pm »

Creatures meets Edmund McMillen's art style and approach to fairly disturbing content, can't wait for this game.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 01:29:08 pm »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 01:33:01 pm »

Its like DF, but from the point of view of the cat adopter.

PTW. Sounds like this will be worth buying just for the chaos one could enjoy. My first project will be breeding the most unstable and violent cats togther.
This is a blank sig.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 02:12:45 pm »

According to the RPS article, there are approximately 25,418,658,283,290,000,000,000,000 cats in the system so far. Dat's a lot of kitties, enough to ensure you won't encounter duplicates for a long, long time.

Too bad the vast majority of those differences will be insignificant.

I hate when they list those numbers because it is just outright dishonest because they KNOW how people will react to it.

Otherwise this game looks fine to a certain extent if a bit too "Kitten Mill" for my taste. Which is kinda what this feels more like, you are running a Kitten Mill at your house.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 02:14:56 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13