Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: Mewgenics - Cats! SCIENCE?! Adventure!.....The cats came back 10 years later.  (Read 27694 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I'm still pretty interested in this because I really like the idea of an in-depth animal/freak-of-nature breeding sim.
That said, the obsession with gross-out humour (lolpoop, the births) is kind of...obnoxious? It's like this unnecessary layer of trashiness on top of what otherwise sounds like a pretty cool game.

Here's hoping it can be looked past in the final game.

I get ya but....man that's pretty much Team Meat and McMillen up and down. Binding of Isaac at times was dark, disturbing and gross despite being very cartoony. Like.....legitimately gross. And Mewgenics seems to retain all those traits, with a liberal dose of manic happiness. So.....yeah. I'd buckle in when it releases because it's probably going to combine hard coded grossness with procedural atrocities. In my head it looks like if Dwarves in DF left poop (complete with visual descriptions and lineage information) everywhere after brawling in the Dining Hall.

I think this is basically the game where McMillen and Team Meat just said "fuck it, let's throw caution to the wind and go completely bonkers on everything: the theme, the mechanics, no idea too corner-case or inane."
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 09:17:08 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I actually liked Binding of Isaac, though. The gross theme worked there, because... I guess it was a fairly simplistic game otherwise and so the thematic stuff is where it got most of its identity.

Here they're taking what sounds like a nifty and original game that would stand on its own and then slapping on all the gross immature stuff because...they have to do that to all their games I guess? Because it makes it edgy? I don't know. I'm just finding it a bit disappointing.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well...did BoI need an aborted fetus as a boss? A giant Blastoma that's trying to kill you?

I do think they enjoy being controversial, and gross. And, I mean....cat poop does happen. Especially when you're a crazy cat lady. So I don't think poop is honestly inappropriate in this game (what was with the piles of shit in BoI, and the multiple kinds of them?). The fact they went far enough to make it procedurally generated poop is....an interesting use of time. But I don't really begrudge them it.

Also, meow.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't think McMillen will ever get away from gross/immature stuff, though. That's kind of the core of his personal style: games that are, at their core, dark and depressing, alleviated by a comically-immature art style and cynical world-view.

Sometimes it's a child who fights back at his cruel mother with his own tears. Now, it's genetic freaks that once vaguely resembled cats being bred for fun, profit, and obscure recessive diseases. Both would be really awkward subjects if the art style was realistic.

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I really don't get all of the complaining about the poop and general grossness, that tends to be the style and it tends to make McMillen's games instantly recognizable (For me at least)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...You bumped this just to say that? For shame.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was expecting some kind of update

But no

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Don't look at me, I posted nooooootttttthhhhiiiiinnnnnggggg. I've been checking daily too, concurrently with looking for Binding of Isaac updates.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was interested until I saw gross/immature stuff mentioned...

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile

I was interested until I saw gross/immature stuff mentioned...

Natural bodily functions are immature.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We all know it's a 50/50 thing. I'm in the "feces should be added to dwarf fortress"-camp. There was a poll some time ago :D
(So I'm fine with it in Mewgenics and Isaac obviously)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

According to this blog post, Mewgenics is on hold. Apparently they decided they wanted to release yet another game ahead of it, Super Meat Boy Forever, first.

I was hoping after the BoI: Rebirth release they'd turn to getting the game out, but I guess it has become incoherent as they've constantly changed ideas and reworked them into larger ones.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/08/30/mew-genics-on-hold-will-return-when-its-more-coherent/

"Every idea that we've first said has expanded into this larger idea. And we're like, 'we need to shut the fuck up' and actually get it to a point where we can say, 'no, this is what it's going to be when it comes out,'" Refenes added. The game isn't canceled, but it will be "revised" and "more coherent" when it eventually returns. "Basically, the scope of it is going to change. We're going to narrow it down more into something that's manageable for two people to actually do," Refenes said. He stressed that Mew-Genics is "definitely on hold," and that the developers' freshly-revealed tablet and PC game, Super Meat Boy Forever, will "definitely come out before it."

Seems the game has slipped into a bit of development hell.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 02:26:48 pm by nenjin »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

In the meanwhile, another SMB. Because we didn't have enough of it already.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It sold in the past so obviously every previous owner will rebuy it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It sold in the past so obviously every previous owner will rebuy it.

Maybe it's low-hanging fruit. Not enjoying the gameplay of SMB, I don't see it. But if it has anywhere near BoI's cult following, I'm sure it seemed like an obvious choice.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13