Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to keep my military from beating my dwarves to death  (Read 6157 times)

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to keep my military from beating my dwarves to death
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 03:20:19 am »

Unless it's changed, though, Dwarven Justice has no statute of limitation - once marked for a crime, if you EVER fill the guard's position, they'll instantly hunt down those blokes from 30 years ago and give them a sound beating over that one earring.
The severity of punishment goes down with a time. If you decide to blame unsolved vampire crimes from years ago on some recently arrived cheese-maker guards will merely administer a rebuke to him.

I've got the opposite problem- my hammerer won't kill one of the annoying vampire dwarves i'm trying to get rid of, he'll be getting out of jail in a few days, and although it says 51 hammerstrikes, my hammerer just sits in the barracks training.
Why is he training in the first place? Hammerer isn't a military position. If you've drafted him in army as well you'd need to send him off duty since soldiers really prioritize their training over civilian jobs.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 03:50:30 am »

Captain of the guard shouldn't be given a military squad. it's better to leave him in a squad alone, and equip him with an adamantine hammer or mace. I also appoint the weakest and kindest dwarf to militia captain to make the beatings as light as possible. I don't know if wooden practice swords would be safe enough, but in general you'll want the beatings to be made by weaklings with nerfed weapons.

Personally, I have modded in frat paddles specifically for police usage.

ShadowLop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 03:59:50 am »

Captain of the guard shouldn't be given a military squad. it's better to leave him in a squad alone, and equip him with an adamantine hammer or mace. I also appoint the weakest and kindest dwarf to militia captain to make the beatings as light as possible. I don't know if wooden practice swords would be safe enough, but in general you'll want the beatings to be made by weaklings with nerfed weapons.

This should actually work. Training weapons can't really kill, even when they hit, though it might be good to find a way to give every dwarf a hat of some kind anyway, even if just by putting them all in squads.
Hmm...a trade? Intriguing...No, wait, boring! PULL OFF HIS KNEECAPS!

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 08:06:51 am »

my hammerer won't kill one of the annoying vampire dwarves i'm trying to get rid of
Crush him under a bridge, encase him in obsidian, get him webbed on a cage trap and build the trap outside the fort entrance as a warning to other migrants, or burrow him into a room somewhere, wall him in, and then drop 100 cave crocodiles in through a hole in the ceiling. Lots of options for taking matters into your own hands so you don't have to rely on the whims of the hammerer (who might not even kill the vampire when he does get round to trying).

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 08:51:18 am »

In this version beatings are delivered using unarmed combat only. Not only guards but even tantruming miners won't use weapons to attack their own kin. So it's probably the best to give guard crossbows and ensure they don't train close combat.

I'm tempted to give hammerer scourge though.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 06:04:20 pm »

I've got the opposite problem- my hammerer won't kill one of the annoying vampire dwarves i'm trying to get rid of, he'll be getting out of jail in a few days, and although it says 51 hammerstrikes, my hammerer just sits in the barracks training.
deconstruct door construct wall ... and he will not come out of jail that easy ...
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Soulbourne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2013, 09:44:38 pm »

I thought that in the current version the guardsmen did in fact use their weapons despite the fact they shouldn't.

Also, I too make them marksdwarves-at worst you get smacked by a lightwood crossbow butt.  And I can station them in a tower during siege and still make use of them.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 08:33:47 am »

I tend to put my Captain of the Guard in a squad of marksdwarfs with wooden crossbows. The beatings he administers are thus pretty damn weak but the squad can still function against invaders. Unless of course invaders start meleeing my marksdwarfs, but if that's happening I've mismanaged my military anyway...
Pages: 1 [2]