Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forts on the ocean  (Read 1477 times)

rainpeltstar

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:geniosity]
    • View Profile
Forts on the ocean
« on: February 24, 2013, 04:57:56 pm »

Ok, so I'm trying to see if I could make a fort in an area with salt water, and I was wondering something. Could migrants, caravans, or sieges come if your fort is surrounded with water?
Loves lapis lazuli, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume cheese puffs. She absolutely detests heights.

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
Re: Forts on the ocean
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 05:10:19 pm »

You mean, island? If yes, then only migrants and dwarven caravan will come. If it's just coast... Then nope.
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 05:23:48 pm »

Depends on what civilizations have access to that location.

If it's a true island, then only dwarves should be listed as having access to it. In that case, there are two things that can happen. If every edge is water, then nothing will arrive and you have only those dwarves you arrived with. If any portion of the map edge is land, then caravans and migrants will spawn from that point as they would any other site.

If other civilizations have access to a portion of the embark, then they might enter the same way even if they don't actually have access to the portion of land actually connected to your fort.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 05:25:21 pm by Ubiq »

MattStriker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 05:40:13 pm »

Hmm. A tiny island embark could be an interesting challenge for a while. Only your starter dwarves and whatever children they manage to produce...no traders ever, so moods would be very risky...

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 12:28:23 pm »

Hmm. A tiny island embark could be an interesting challenge for a while. Only your starter dwarves and whatever children they manage to produce...no traders ever, so moods would be very risky...
The main problem is just finding an island tiny enough to fit in a not-gigantic embark. I did one before myself. The local elephant population made me waste two dwarves on being wrestling champions (when wrestling was still OP) to protect from them. The five remaining workers carved a large sphere from the earth, hollowed it out, and established the fortress inside. Then of course I knocked out the support it was resting on. RIP in peace dwarves.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

More on topic though, I believe (but don't quote me on this), that if you build out into the ocean and then place a bridge such that it touches the map edge, things can start spawning on it. Someone brought it up in a thread but I never tried it myself though so I wouldn't plan on it working.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 03:55:56 pm »

I believe that if there is land on the map then they should come. If other civs dont have access to the island then they won't bring caravans or sieges. But I have seen islands that civs have settled.

You gave me an idea. Im going to embark on an island. Then dig a huge hole and build a stone tower in it. Then i'll flood the ocean into the hole and have dwarf-lantis. I wish walls and floors didnt deconstruct when dropping into water. Does it do the same with magma?

Coalwalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 11:25:04 am »

I wish walls and floors didnt deconstruct when dropping into water. Does it do the same with magma?
They deconstruct when dropped into anything. They'll have to be carved of natural stone or cast obsidian if you want them to 'survive,' if that's the right word here.
So to recap, one minute everything was going just great, and the next we have caverns collapsing, firebreathing cave beasts, underground brush fires, a screaming swarm of poltergheists back for revenge, zombies in the corridors, drunken brawls in the dining halls, magma pouring into the caverns, rotting miasma everywhere, insanity, madness, and a flying crocodile heading right towards us!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 12:39:57 pm »

I think native-rock formations also compact when dropped, removing all enclosed open space - after dumping, you can have a solid pyramid or a disc with spires on top, but dropping a closed compartment à la submarine will just give you a pancake and a bunch of crushed dwarfs. I've only tested this with very small and simple constructions in the arena, though.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 01:10:32 pm »

If it's a true island, then only dwarves should be listed as having access to it. In that case, there are two things that can happen. If every edge is water, then nothing will arrive and you have only those dwarves you arrived with. If any portion of the map edge is land, then caravans and migrants will spawn from that point as they would any other site.

This point right here is a very useful thing. Visitors to your map will only arrive on a natural edge tile. If the edge tile is impassible, such as it is water or a raised drawbridge, then no land creature can arrive there.

This means you can strategically funnel all visitors of your map to arrive in whatever place you want them to. I enjoy exploiting this by putting my military there. No tricks, no traps, just my military on an open, empty, level field.