Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Giant Cave Spiders  (Read 1192 times)

Retroblu

• Bay Watcher
  • Nanomachines Son.
    • View Profile
Giant Cave Spiders
« on: February 26, 2013, 10:36:08 pm »

Is it bad that I devoted a dwarven cult to the GCS, and once I find him, yearly sacrifices? like not just humans, children, just out of newborn stage in order to appease it?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Giant Cave Spiders
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 10:42:07 pm »

So long as you mod them to be immortal, or at least to breed.  I've not done any GCS breeding programs recently, but last attempt I had to make them breed-able.  Although in current version, they'll probably breed once tamed, in egg nests.

Remember to keep a feral mother, if possible, so that you can have a supply of young spiderlings to train into domestic, and another line of wild sacrifice-worthy maneaters.

Your animal trainers will subsequently become the high priests, and cages an item of worship.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 11:28:55 pm »

I once fed an entire migrant wave to a Giant Cave Spider on a glacier. Because I could.

You are playing the game exactly as it's meant to be played - which is to say, however you damn well please.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Deus Morti

• Bay Watcher
  • Veteran Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 02:42:38 pm »

How could it not be a good thing? You're feeding dwarves to giant spiders. Next thing you'll be asking if unfortunate accidents are exactly that...
Seal off your fortress and make it impregnable, then use screw pumps to flood every inch of that town in magma. Either that or dig too deep and watch as the circus comes to town. Everything will burn. Everything must burn.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
A goblin daycare center, a Dwarven cat herd on the move. A kobold cautiously trying to steal a tooth from a clear crystal Plains Titan[...]

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 02:46:52 pm »

I once lost all hope in my fortress and watched 49 dwarves run out to get eaten by a GCS. I could have stopped them and sent my military, but I didn't.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.