Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Lazy Newb Pack Development Thread  (Read 29165 times)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Newb Pack Development Thread
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 02:39:26 pm »

The problem would be download times.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Ucarty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2013, 03:36:08 pm »

The problem would be download times.

I'd very strongly beg to differ. Take a look at http://www.netindex.com/ its my source.

So for the sake of my argument I'm using an example of slow internet. My phone, on the go, has a max downspeed of ~1.9 Mbps. Now I live in one of the fast countries. Our household/cable downspeed is 30Mbps, on average. But even in the slower countries people have access to at least ~1.5Mbps nowadays, and most countries average around ~10Mbps. So 5 times what I'll be calculating with.

Say, (please don't have a heart attack Thundercraft) LNP come's out being 100 MB. (I don't think it ever will)
We take 100MB divide by my download speed converted to megabytes, and calculate how many minutes it would take. (Just in case I mess up my math)
(100 / (1.9 / 8 )) / 60 = 7.01 min

Again, the slowest internet(I manage it on my phone), LNP being big for what it is, it takes 7 minutes and 0.6 seconds.
In my opinion, if I can start the download on my phone, get a drink, take a shit and troll my sister and come back to find a completed download, we're good. Especially considering LNP isn't a nightly or anything. A download lasts you weeks. Don't make me calculate how much of your time would be sacrificed waiting for the download, assuming you'd just sit and wait.

I call it the drink,shit,troll size. (for any reader of this reply in a couple years, its probably the look out the window size by now)

tl;dr: even with LNP 100MB and download speeds 1.9Mbps, we're good.

[EDIT] All this damn typing just to realise there might be a server cap. 100 kbps... x) GREAT! If we're talking about adding a mirror like things are currently done, my lengthy reply above still stands. Mediafire is < 1 min for me.
With DFFD the download takes 5min, say LNP swells to 3x its size, still done in 15 min, troll your brother too, I don't care. Its still a short time for a download that lasts you weeks.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 05:15:29 am by Ucarty »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 11:51:41 pm »

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 10:38:29 am »

But even in the slower countries people have access to at least ~1.5Mbps nowadays
I guess you're right, but...
ha. ha. ha.
I have *good* internet for my region. It's 2 Mbps. Most people... have about 1/16 of that.

Error from Reddit
I've seen that before for a bad 3.5 install. I don't have a reddit account, though.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2013, 07:15:04 am »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7426
Changed the way utilities are displayed to be more presentable (previously it listed the full file paths) and run on launch now works for some utilities it previously didn't (ie.Dwarf Therapist).

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2013, 08:55:39 pm »

Awesome as this new version is, would it be possible to provide a pre-built version to replace the current version?  Even clear instructions on how to update would be very helpful - if anyone wants a more recent version, compiling their own seems a little extreme for a newb pack. 

Also, a feature request for the utility auto-launch:  an option to open them minimised would be amazing, particularly for soundsense.  I would likewise appreciate an option for the main game to start windowed but maximised.  Is this easy to do, or even possible?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 12:41:25 am by PeridexisErrant »
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2013, 04:37:49 am »

Awesome as this new version is, would it be possible to provide a pre-built version to replace the current version?  Even clear instructions on how to update would be very helpful - if anyone wants a more recent version, compiling their own seems a little extreme for a newb pack. 
A compiled version of the LNP.exe is located in the \bin\Debug folder of the source. To update the GUI, just replace your version with the one from the V16.1 source.

I'm not really expecting newbs to be checking the development thread so we're just waiting on LucasUP to update the main thread really. If I'm correct in guessing he's busy with exams, he could potentially not be active for another month or so. If you wanted to make your own thread linking to your up-to-date version I doubt he would mind, it is open source after all, just make sure you give credit.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2013, 08:05:24 am »

Derp.  I probably should have looked through the whole pack first...

Fair enough. 

I have no desire to start a competing version - I've uploaded the pack I'd like to see at DFFD and posted in the thread, but I'm not planning to maintain it long term.  I just got sick of explaining how to set it up, and just started providing a link. 

V16.1 is beautiful though,  and optionally starting utilities eg soundsense minimized and DF maximized is literally the only improvement I can think of besides the cross platform project.  I know that a batch script can do some of this - I tried with v15, to limited success - but I guess the number of windows which launch something else in a different window could make that rather tricky.  It was certainly well beyond me. 

Thanks for the new version guys, it really is worth the wait.     
 Donations here.

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2013, 10:00:02 am »

I found and fixed a bug regarding V16.1 not remembering which utilities are checked between sessions. Oh and I corrected a typo.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7426

Also, a feature request for the utility auto-launch:  an option to open them minimised would be amazing, particularly for soundsense.  I would likewise appreciate an option for the main game to start windowed but maximised.  Is this easy to do, or even possible?
I've been trying to get this working but for some reason I can't seem to get the utilities to listen to the /min command.

This is what goes in the bat file as it stands:
Code: [Select]
@ECHO off
SETLOCAL
CD %~dp0
START "" "soundSense.exe"
start /min cmd /c del /q %~s0

I'm trying to do it like this:
Code: [Select]
@ECHO off
SETLOCAL
CD %~dp0
START /min "" "soundSense.exe"
start /min cmd /c del /q %~s0
But it doesn't seem to make any difference. Anyone know another way of doing this?

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2013, 07:02:43 pm »

That looks pretty familiar - I managed to get one of each window pair to start minimized (the log reader for soundsense, and dfhack console) but the other would just open normally. 

I suspect that - excepting clever tricks, which seem pretty common around here - it might be a matter for the makers of the utilities to supply an option for how they start.  maybe I should post about that in their threads?

New version already?  I came here to check a detail when updating my post on reddit for v16.1!  Guess it's the update dance again...
 Donations here.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2013, 06:58:17 am »

Feature request:  would it be possible to change tilesets, but preserve the settings?  Experimenting with different graphics can get rather annoying when you have to adjust the popcap and volume (etc...) every time, and on my laptop I have to keep weather and temperature off to get a reasonable frame rate.  Just seems like a logical addition to the way tilesets get changed over, if that's getting changed. 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 06:52:01 am by PeridexisErrant »
 Donations here.

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2014, 03:04:27 pm »

Version 17.2

GUI options are now remembered when changing graphics.

Support for multiple Dwarf Fortress installs.
If multiple Dwarf Fortress versions are located in the launchers directory you will be prompted to chose one when launching the GUI.
Init and d_Init options, keybindings and graphics are handled seperatly per DF installation.
This allows one installation of the GUI, utilities, graphics packs and keybindings to serve a number of DF installs.

The contents of the Folders and Links dropdown menus are now fully customisable and are configured in LNPWin.txt

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2014, 07:05:56 pm »

Well, as of later today I'm ditching the cross platform gui entirely (until it updates a lot, anyway). Thanks!
 Donations here.

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2014, 12:52:53 pm »

Version 18

The Aquifers button now has better support for mods.

Added three additional buttons;
Entomb Pets (Yes/No), Artifacts(Yes/No) and close on launch (Yes/No)

Seperated Display and gameplay options.

Tweaked some tooltips.

Startup utilities and close on launch setting are now remembered per DF install.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2014, 04:11:23 am »

Looks great - and thanks for the tip on aquifers, I'd never have found that myself!  New pack will be up very soon. 

Small suggestion:  the utilities list doesn't behave particularly intuitively.  A first click on some item will select it, but any subsequent clicks will simply toggle auto-launch (as will clicking on the space below the list).  Could it be set up so double-clicking an item launches the utility, and auto-launch is only toggled by clicking the checkbox?

Edit:  also, help/about (alt-F1) gives the version as v1.6; DFFD gives version 18.0 - I suspect that there's an elderly six and decimal point there. 

« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 04:35:45 am by PeridexisErrant »
 Donations here.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4