Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who had the best fort in a dangerous setting?

Mishrak
- 1 (33.3%)
Flabort
- 2 (66.7%)
HavingPhun
- 0 (0%)
Gigaz
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: CHALLENGE: Best Fort in 10 Hours (Dangerous Area Voting is Open)  (Read 30037 times)

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
CHALLENGE: Best Fort in 10 Hours (Dangerous Area Voting is Open)
« on: February 27, 2013, 04:23:42 pm »

In response to this article and the topic in general discussion about how far a n00b reporter got in 10 hours of DF, I issue a challenge to dorfs everywhere.

Rules
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Contestants with Submissions
----------
Mishrak | Article | Fort
Flabort | Article | Fort
HavingPhun | Article | Fort
Vjek | Article | Fort
Kon | Article | Fort
Thatdude | Article | Fort
Gigaz | Article | Fort
Ruhn | Article | Fort

Contestants
----------
Hermes | Resigned due to internet
Pufferfish
Giver99
Mushroo
RockBiterSon | Resigned due to crash + time over
Fluoman
Laularukyrumo | Resigned due to 10 LEVEL AQUIFER
Brewster

Grand Prize Voting

Awards
Grand Prize: Best Overall Fort & Writeup/Article =Thatdude
Quick Reflexes: Best Fort in under 10 hours (waiting for short submissions)
World Wonder: Best Mega-project =Vjek
Ancient Secrets: Best Fort on an old PC (waiting for old PC forts)
Survive This: Best Fort in a dangerous area {Flabort vs. HavingPhun vs. Mishrak vs. Gigaz}

I see no reason to limit embark or worldgen either.  Just as long as it's Vanilla DF with or without a Tileset.  10 hours, 10 years, whichever is less, or whatever you feel like as long as it doesn't exceed that time frame.  My whole point was to illustrate that, in the same 10 hours she spent beating her head against the game, a moderately experienced and somewhat informed player (Me) can make a viable and fun fort.

We should put ourselves on the clock, so that it's not "10 hours unpaused" but 10 hours played, which includes time worldgenning, designating things, planning, etc.  I'd say the only time it doesn't include would be preparing the write-up, as that will take a bit longer.

Q & A
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 10:28:28 am by Ruhn »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: CHALLENGE: Best Fort in 10 Hours
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 04:29:21 pm »

At 100 FPS, 10 hours is just shy of 9 years.

Because everyone plays at a different FPS, I'd say to change it to a 9 year limit, with shorter times allowed, as most people die within 3 years or so.

Zealord

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME_SUPPORT:SUBURBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 04:33:37 pm »

Most people die in 3 years?! I must have a super computer then!
This is great.

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 04:39:38 pm »

Since it was my idea (in part), of course I have to participate.  Sign me up.  I'll work on it Friday/Saturday.

I will also spell out "Dwarves Love Ars" in some funny, special way.  Either in obsidian, or magma, or glass blocks.  Depending on the embark.

[edit]
I'm planning to use Lazy Newb Pack and Dwarf Therapist, as well as the Ironhand Tileset.  This should be on vanilla, otherwise though.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 04:50:51 pm by Mishrak »

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 04:46:55 pm »

Because everyone plays at a different FPS, I'd say to change it to a 9 year limit, with shorter times allowed, as most people die within 3 years or so.
I see your point.  We could modify the rules so that 10 hours is the absolute maximum, but participants can submit a fort sooner.  If there is amazing progress after only 2 hours a short fort may even win the crowd.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 07:31:48 pm »

Since it was my idea (in part), of course I have to participate.  Sign me up.  I'll work on it Friday/Saturday.

I will also spell out "Dwarves Love Ars" in some funny, special way.  Either in obsidian, or magma, or glass blocks.  Depending on the embark.

[edit]
I'm planning to use Lazy Newb Pack and Dwarf Therapist, as well as the Ironhand Tileset.  This should be on vanilla, otherwise though.

Why not spell it in minecart track and have carts madly spinning around the track tossing rocks or water into an arena full of captured creatures?
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 08:04:08 pm »

Seeing as I complained about the article, sign me up!  For 10 hours this is gonna need a definite goal....   :-\
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 08:10:33 pm »

How about we have 2 different divisions? 10 Realtime Hours, and 10 Game Years. That should minimize some confusions, as well as any bickering about the rules between the groups. Submissions should include preferred FPS settings to be listed.

Let's not forget, some people play at different gameplay rates besides FPS rates as well (we have planners, CODs, Project-oriented, and etc. that might sign up for this).
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 08:12:32 pm by Itnetlolor »

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 08:21:52 pm »

Does anyone still manage 100 fps after 9 years?
I find by end of year 2 i get framerate down to the 30's, and this is on a brand new i7.
At the rate i play i might get 4-5 years out of 10 hours.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 08:35:29 pm »

Ten consecutive hours?  :(
If, and if, I have time on the weekend, we'll see.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 09:14:59 pm »

Ten consecutive hours?  :(
If, and if, I have time on the weekend, we'll see.
I think you're onto something, my last long weekend i didn't manage to find 10 hours for Dwarf fortress, i may have blown 16 odd hours on the forum though.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 09:16:53 pm »

Does anyone still manage 100 fps after 9 years?
I find by end of year 2 i get framerate down to the 30's, and this is on a brand new i7.
At the rate i play i might get 4-5 years out of 10 hours.
  I might sign up for this. Around years 4 and 5 I get around 90(45) fps. If I use the heat tweak from dfhack I get around 100(55). 

I also second Itnetlolor. Since even the newer cpu's have trouble running at high fps'. Just about everyones cpu's run at different speeds. So for one person 10 hours could be 7 years, another could be 5, another could be 2 or less. There are DF players that have older and slower pc's.

Also is there a due date decided yet?  Is there a sign up date or as long as we had it in on time. Maybe with a few exceptions.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 09:42:19 pm »

I also second Itnetlolor. Since even the newer cpu's have trouble running at high fps'. Just about everyones cpu's run at different speeds. So for one person 10 hours could be 7 years, another could be 5, another could be 2 or less. There are DF players that have older and slower pc's.

Heh. You're not kidding. First computer I ever played DF on, I was shocked when, 3 days into my first fortress, summer arrived and I realized there were seasons to the game. Not kidding. 10 hours wouldn't have even gotten me through 1 year on that rig. Fortunately, now I have a MUCH better more recent computer.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 11:01:04 pm »

So, what's criteria for best fort? I'm tempted to join in, but I'm not going to if it's simply monetary gain or best trap hall.

This may give me an excuse to finally build me green glass pyramid.

Also, are we using any embark? Is there to be a standard?

PotatoOverdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 03:18:27 am »

I find the three year fortress death claim rather dubious tbh. Even when I played at a popcap of 200 on 4x4's I never suffered fps death on year 3 on my laptop.

My current fort is sitting at year 7 (pop cap set at 50, actual pop of 80) on a 3x3 with most of the surface covered in blood, ichor, vomit, or some combination of the three and I'm sitting pretty at a stable 89 fps.

I must have a super computer as well.   ???
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9