Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Migrants won't stop!  (Read 1416 times)

Footman04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Migrants won't stop!
« on: April 18, 2013, 11:03:19 am »

I have more than 100 dwarves. I've properly set the cap but they won't stop coming, and I'm probably going to simply not let the incoming migrants past the gate.

MattStriker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migrants won't stop!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 11:07:18 am »

Build them a camp outdoors. Enforce strict segregation between established dorfs and migrants (this is vital). Wait for ambushes or sieges to solve your problem while also giving your real military time to prepare.

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 11:09:00 am »

Whether or not your fortress will receive migrants is determined once per year when the diplomat returns home. If you were past the cap when he left, immigration will stop until the diplomat next checks up on you. If not, even if only by one dwarf, you'll get another year of migrants. You can also still get births on-site when you're over the cap but below the baby cap, which by default is absurdly high.

Killing excess migrants is an alright option. Using them for dangerous duties (unskilled militia, magma pumping etc) and allowing any that prove themselves to remain seems more dwarfy 8)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 12:11:16 pm »

Wall off the edge of the map with your new labour force. Nothing gets in without your express will.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 12:21:56 pm »

Migrants will NOT stop coming until a dwarven caravan successfully leaves your map. Could be the liason, or the caravan itself. It will then deliver the info on your population, and update how it compares to the pop cap.

There IS a way to force that through dfhack, if you are so inclined.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 02:14:06 pm »

The population cap is a soft limit. basically, every year, when the caravan leave, it checks your current population vs the cap - if your population is higher than the cap, you get no migrants, if it's lower (even be only one dwarf), you get migrants until the caravan leaves next year.

Also keep in mind that the pop cap will not stop babies, so with a low popcap you can still eind up with 200+ dwarves due to breeding, unless you implement some dwarven birth control (change the child cap in the Init files)