Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who had the best fort in a dangerous setting?

Mishrak
- 1 (33.3%)
Flabort
- 2 (66.7%)
HavingPhun
- 0 (0%)
Gigaz
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: CHALLENGE: Best Fort in 10 Hours (Dangerous Area Voting is Open)  (Read 30081 times)

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CHALLENGE: Best Fort in 10 Hours
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2013, 01:46:13 pm »

Hilarious.

Look at all that gold!

It's probably not a huge deal to stray from the pop cap, depending on what your goal is. 

Giver99

• Bay Watcher
  • self destruct..5..4..3..2..1..Oops
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2013, 02:21:25 pm »

I am definitely in This will be :P
Oop's Wrong Lever!

RockBiterSon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2013, 03:01:54 pm »

All right, I'm going to do this if I can find time on the weekend. Low-to-moderate experience player. I've had successful forts but allways lost interest past year four. This time I'm going to try and shake up my conservative playstyle by actively seeking out caverns and the like. Maybe I'll try for breaching
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I've never dug that deep before so I don't even know if it is possible in just ten hours. I'm going to actively avoid using the wiki while doing this, in part to simulate the Ars Technica writer's attempt, but mostly because in any given fort I tend to spend more than half of my time in wiki spirals. I'm also going to limit myself in the amount of clutter I make, mostly for fps reasons.

I assume that dwarf therapist is allowed? It's in the lazynoob pack, yet I wouldn't call it in theme
new players probably don't know this option
Maybe I'll limit myself by not using the handy 'roles' system built into the latest version.

Fps is a large problem for me in past forts. In my latest I got stuck around 20 fps after clean-up from a goblin seige. I'm not very good at controlling fps. My computer is a five-year-old dell laptop, that as I am typing this is whirring loudly even without anything running in the background. It often emits frightening clicks and whirs that sound like it's dying. I'm not sure how to find out all the stats about its performance, if anyone would walk me through that I'll try for the ancient machine category too.

Oh, and btw this is my first forum post. I made an account just to give this a try.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 03:03:58 pm by RockBiterSon »

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2013, 03:07:45 pm »

Yep.  Dwarf Therapist is definitely allowed.  You can manage 10-20 dwarves without it, but 150, forget it.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2013, 03:48:04 pm »

Count me in.
And boy, I'm going to marathon that. Ten hours straight ftw  8)
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2013, 04:19:08 pm »

A DF marathon tomorrow sounds like just the plan! I think I'll return to my above ground fort that I do so love. Though not controlling the pop cap may annoy my ocd. Every dwarf must have a personal house! 2 stories tall and with a small dining room! If I can break away from the mad house building I may also build a big a castle around my town as possible....

Let's see where this goes.

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2013, 05:15:27 pm »

Sign me in. I tend to have the game paused quite often, no idea how much ingame time would pass if I'd play 10 hours.

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2013, 07:12:34 pm »

Congrats to Vjek on the first submission!
Gold & masterwork sets the bar high for the rest of us. (I'm giving it a try too, 2 hours in so far)

I know many players like to reduce the pop cap; it is discouraged but not an instant DQ.

My computer is a five-year-old dell laptop, that as I am typing this is whirring loudly even without anything running in the background. It often emits frightening clicks and whirs that sound like it's dying. I'm not sure how to find out all the stats about its performance, if anyone would walk me through that I'll try for the ancient machine category too.
Wow, sounds like lots of !!FUN!! even when DF isn't running  :D
(( Right-click computer properties, and it will show your CPU speed and RAM. ))

OP has been updated with Vjek's submission and the new contestants.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2013, 07:19:33 pm »

Great work so far, everyone! Very inspirational. I have a fun idea for my fort and will be getting underway tonight. :)

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2013, 08:36:23 pm »

Your strength has been broken.
Oh god, year 2 4-squad elf ambush followed by undead siege.
Well, that was fun.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2013, 09:55:43 pm »

:D Time to start. I will be going for the Survive This category, looking for an evil ocean. My second ocean, my second evil biome (but neither of my firsts covered the entire embark), my goal will be to turn this evil ocean into a dry bed. Or something. IF I can survive 10 hours. ;)

Edit: This is how it's going:

Spoiler: Day One (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 12:46:41 am by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2013, 03:49:50 am »

Just to be sure about the rules:
I did Fortress One in 3 hours and 13 minutes and it was destroyed by outside forces. Do I reclaim and save it and submit it, or do I still have 6 hours and 47 minutes to do a better fort?

RtDs!

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2013, 08:25:45 am »

That's up to you and whatever story you want to tell.  You could also start an entirely new fort and devote 10 hours to it.  The time limit pertains to a single fort, not necessarily how much time you have total to make a fort.  Just remember you can only submit one fort.  You could also just as well submit your first 3 hour 13 minute fort and be done, if you were so inclined.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2013, 09:50:13 am »

Oh, that's nice!

RtDs!

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2013, 10:47:42 am »

Mosus Borushsodel, expedition leader of Leaderroughness, presents...

War Horse Fortress

With the impending nerfing of fast quadrupeds by the Great Toad, Mosus decided to lead an outpost in tribute to their prowess by relying on them entirely for the defense of the dwarves in her charge.  The fortress was to have no guard, militia, armour or weapons save the axes for felling as many small trees as possible.  Horses were to be brought and bred and were expected to defend the dwarves with their fleet hooves and quick lives.

Spoiler: Year One (click to show/hide)

[I just changed horses to be war trainable for this, if that invalidates my entry that's OK, I'm enjoying this so far.]

3 hours in so far.  I'm gonna be lucky if I get past year three.... *gulp*
Solid 100fps.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 10:35:10 am by hermes »
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9