Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who had the best fort in a dangerous setting?

Mishrak
- 1 (33.3%)
Flabort
- 2 (66.7%)
HavingPhun
- 0 (0%)
Gigaz
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: CHALLENGE: Best Fort in 10 Hours (Dangerous Area Voting is Open)  (Read 29994 times)

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: CHALLENGE: Best Fort in 10 Hours | Submit by March 11 !
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2013, 12:22:04 pm »

I'm just short of 3 hours in on mine.  It's a little tricky finding more than 30 or 40 mins of time to plop down during the week.  It's progressing well, although I forgot to actually cook food and my dwarves were starving despite having 150 livestock, woops.  So I fixed that but lets see how we do.  First year is coming to a close.  I should be able to get a lot hammered out over the weekend (which I have no choice because monday is the 11th!)
Yeah for real, I'm gonna have to sink some hours in tonight and tomorrow.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2013, 02:42:54 pm »

I am just going to post little updates and then a full write up that kindof summarizes it. I wish I would have taken notes along the way. Kept more track of dwarfs so I could do it from ones point of view. I still might. My fps is lower than usual. Probably since I raised the max number of sites and the max popultation higher than default.

A 1 eyed giant kaola arrived. Beware its webs! I was going to throw my decent military at it but then it killed my outpost liason and half of the caravan. A swordsmen with the caravan killed it but they left with fear. Kept a bunch of things outside. I would grab them but I don't want to keep my fort open for undead assualt.

I dug out 72 new bedrooms. Now they need to be smoothed and furnished. Also built a huge throne room off to the side. I'm not going to get a king but I did it for fun. Probably not smoothing that. have 8 out of 10 full sets of iron armor forged. Ill have two squads of five. 1 as melee and one as ranged. 3 dwarfs have died of failed moods. All of them so far have not gone berserk luckily.

5+ undead eagles have come in and pestered my masons building walls outside. No one got hurt except some bruised muscles and a bruised liver. I got all the migrant waves safely inside. I think thats it.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2013, 02:15:32 am »

OK, so I finally finished. This fortress is my submission, by the way. I didn't have to abandon, and my fort failed to crumble to it's end. Total time is ~10 hours, give or take 5 or so minutes. All my previous journals are here, plus a new one. You finally get pics of my picks, and I get to brag that I survived.
Spoiler: Day One (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Day 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Day 3 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Day 4 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Day 5 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Summary and Pictures (click to show/hide)

Edit: My save.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 10:47:07 am by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2013, 01:12:43 pm »

Well, looks like you beat my death rate Flabort. Not that hard considering where you embarked but the fort does look impressive all things considered. I especially like the dwarf face. Was that done by digging down stairs above the revealed squares?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2013, 01:58:11 pm »

Yeah, but just a reminder, that IS a different fort, just put the picture there for lulz.
And yes, it is down stairs above the tiles.

Let's see what ratio our deaths were at. 67 dorf deaths and 132 total to... mine was 77 dorfs dead, 337 total dead.
1:1.149 dorf deaths, 1:2.553 total deaths, and 1:4.000 other deaths.  :P
No, really, counting the deaths that weren't dorfs, I have exactly 4 times as many as you.
I'm impressed that you made an above ground fort, though. It looks fairly nice (and yellow. I didn't check, but was that orthoclase, gold, or some bright wood?).
The Cyan Menace

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2013, 07:19:35 pm »

I finished my 10 hours. I breached hell in the end. My vampire bookeeper was locked up in the first place, he lived. I had some migrants outside that I never let in. Some of them were slaughtered by a kobold ambush. I'll work on a write up tommorow. I will try to upload the save with my dial up. Since thats all I have right now. Can I put it in a zip file? To save a few mbs. Ill also recheck to see how my fps was and upload some pictures. What should I upload them too? tinypic or something? I don't know if I will win anything but it was really fun anyways. My civilian dwarfs killed around 10 demons. My undertrained military killed 2. Ill post again later tomorow.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2013, 01:28:41 am »

I don't think it's possible to upload a save any other way then zipped. Or 7z'd (7-zipped), Rar'd, or otherwise compressed. If it is, then color me surprised.
I used photobucket for my pics. If that means you need to sign up, go ahead, and you may need to sign up for DFFD as well, and oh, my save took overnight to upload on a good internet, so it may be rather slow, ESPECIALLY on dial up. Man, it's been so long since I was stuck with dial up trying to load flash games.
The Cyan Menace

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2013, 11:49:51 am »

I don't think it's possible to upload a save any other way then zipped. Or 7z'd (7-zipped), Rar'd, or otherwise compressed. If it is, then color me surprised.
I used photobucket for my pics. If that means you need to sign up, go ahead, and you may need to sign up for DFFD as well, and oh, my save took overnight to upload on a good internet, so it may be rather slow, ESPECIALLY on dial up. Man, it's been so long since I was stuck with dial up trying to load flash games.
Its 23mb in a zip file. rars seem to work better so i will use those. That will only take a few hours. Its the only internet I can get here except crappy satelite internet. With limited usage that costs alot.

RockBiterSon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2013, 03:03:35 am »

Well, I'm done. I'm not going to upload a save though: I disqualified myself by going over time. Also there were other issues...
Still, I'll tell you all about the fort.

First I genned a new world:
World Size: smaller
History: short
Number of Civilizations: med
Number of Sites: med
Number of Beasts: med
Natural Savagery: high
Mineral Occurance: sparse

The world's name is Oruborid, the mortified continent, year 125, it is the age of the Dragon and Brush Titan.

At embark I took 4 copper picks, 3 copper battle-axes, three dogs, and three cats (one male and two female each) and the basic default stuff with a wider variety of starting food.
My starting seven were pretty underwhelming attribute wise.
I gave them novice skill in the following:
Miner
Woodcutter x 2
Cook/diagnostician/surgeon/suturer (but he was really not suited to the doctoring job)
Miner/Grower
Grower/Ambusher
Miner/Brewer

Strike the Earth!!

Fort name is Atiroslan, Dyewind.
fps cap at 100
First of all, I dug a 9-tile wide entrance hallway. I was intending to have a epic hallway of traps with 3-tile wide path for the trade caravans to pass through, for now I put a bunch of temporary workshops and stockpiles there. They never did get moved.
An hour and four minutes into play I opened Dwarf Therapist for the first time. Damn, I couldn't resist.
-farms added to the side of the hallway. Tunnel to a pool built for well. Working on a screw pump.
-two migrants arrive. First time I've gotten migrants this early I think.

-I take a break. At this point I've been playing for an hour and ten minutes. fps is steady at 100.

Now something pretty interesting happens.
-First of all Dwarven merchants. I trade excess food, wood, and some empty barrels for leather.
-At the same time a group of wild boars and sows appear on the edge of the map. I send out the military (unequiped and unarmoured, really civilians that I'd just picked) I now have plenty of leather. You guys won't be fighting unarmoured for long.
-ezum Oslandeg, a hunter, claims a leatherworker's shop. I was just about to start making leather armour and a legendary leatherworker is on his way. Perfect. My plans are comming together. Too well.
-ezum needs hides and gems. Or "shine, colour" something like that, which I think is gems. I don't check the wiki.
-Good a time as any to start digging down, as I had planned to do anyway. By the way this site has deep metal and flux, but no shallow metal.
-I realize that I'd just tanned all the hides and ezum probably needs a raw hide. Luckily, those hides walk onto the battlefie- I mean, my front lawn in the form of some wild Yaks.
-I send forth the brave sons of Atiroslan to do battle again, You'll be fighting without armour for the last time, I promise!
-Unbeknownst to me at the time. My promise to the dwarves would be fulfilled for at least one of them...
-Medtob Bubnuskubuk catches up to one of the Yaks and... well, it's not pretty. His nose is crushed, his leg is damaged and so is his lower spine. I call off the chase.
-The Atiroslan First National Hospital is hastily designated (a bed in the middle of the common sleeping area.)
-I wait for the dwarves to haul poor Medtob in, who had been chasing the Yak for some time and was allready Starving and Dehydrated.
-I wait some more.
-I open up DT and designate a couple of peasants as a professional body-haulers.
-I've more or less written off Medtob now, oh wait, someone is hauling him back. Good.
-Meanwhile exploratory mining hasn't uncovered much.
-Right on cue, as if he'd just heard of the failure of the expedition as Medtob was being dragged in, ezum goes mad. He savagely beats a nearby war dog, the military swarms around him and starts pummelling him. He is quickly dispatched. This really is the last time they will fight without armour. But my dreams of masterwork leather armour are dispatched as well.
-Medtob eventually heals up and is able to return to work. He won't be chasing wildlife anytime soon though.
-I strike gold! Several veins of it. I start digging it out, but don't start smelting it yet.
-23 migrants arrive. Probably the most I've ever gotten at a time, especially this early in the game. I haven't done or made anything valuable yet. huh. Well, I'm glad to have them, some of them aren't absolutely dismal in attributes even if their not skilled yet.
-The elves arrive and bring over twenty bins of cloth. I buy none of it. I imagine the disapointed look on that silly long ears' face.

I take another break. fps at about 70, though I checked it while the elves were still on the map. There are only 3 hours and thirteen hours left, and I hadn't done anything yet. My room-mate suggests a mega-project. I'm going to have to do something big in order to impress all the experienced forumites in the challenge. Not that I'm expecting to beat an underwater fort, or 64 solid gold rooms, but I wanted to put in a good showing. And I've got all this gold just lying about. So begins the tragedy of Atiroslan. Not a tragedy written in blood, but in fail.

The final push. And the disapointment.

-I spend some time thinking of what to do. I'm going to count time spent planning.
-First of all I open up Dwarf Therapist to reasign labours. I want dwarves building, not hauling or making cheese. Big mistake, I spend way too much time fiddling with hauling labours.
-I set aside some dwarves to work on leather armour, and some more to lay traps. I don't want my project to be delayed by goblins. Of course the time I take to do this ends up being wasted, as they don't come, but whatever.
-Design time... I'm going to need some graph paper.
-Done with design. Designating.

At this point, disaster strikes!
Windows has found an error and is closing the application. The program is not responding.
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!

An hour and a half's worth of work lost.

RockBiterSon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2013, 03:13:19 am »

Well, I went on to complete the project. It was a modest project at best, but even after the crash, and after ignoring the time limit, it failed to live up to expectations. I mentioned flux right? Well it's limestone. White. Gold is yellow. I just threw my two most valuable materials together without thinking about the aesthetics. Yellow on White. You can't really make out anything. Plus there were rocks and some yellow sassparite laying on top of it, so you couldn't tell what it was if I did submit it just then. So even though I got the important stuff layed out before hitting the time limit, it looked horrible. By time limit, I mean I started from the last save, got myself to about where I was before the crash (though with less time having passed in-game since I allready had thought everything out once. At this point I'd allready considered myself disqualified and just wanted to see if I could complete it on time.) and then started counting time normally. I ran out of time before my dwarves could finish hauling stone off of the site, or finish smoothing it. So I decided to engrave the area around the design to make the design itself stand out more. Since I'm allready out, might as well go all the way. I'll edit this post with pics once I'm done.

On a brighter note, I did intend to dig further and deeper than I usually do, and I reached my first cavern!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 03:37:22 am by RockBiterSon »

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2013, 07:31:11 am »

Guess I should add my name to the list of self disqualifications, reason being (aside from breaking the rules) I don't have internet access on computer and even if I did I couldn't finish by the end of today.  Was good fun though, will continue my fort in my own time, and I've enjoyed reading the other reports.  Just have to choose who to vote for!
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2013, 07:33:21 am »

I'm about 7.5 hours in and should wrap things up tonight.  I really just need to let it run unpaused for that time and get my population up and get some exports up so I attract sieges of all types.  The writeup has a lot to be done, but I'll get it in tonight.  It may be in a rough draft form but I'll get it in.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 12:11:12 pm by Mishrak »

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2013, 09:55:10 am »

I didn't get it done :( but good luck to those who did! :)

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2013, 10:47:13 am »

There's still time to finish.  Today is the last day.

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: CHALLENGE: Best Fort in 10 Hours | Submit TODAY !!
« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2013, 11:17:48 am »

It's going to be close for me also, only 7 hours complete so far and still in year 1 (of the 2nd fort :P)

Sorry to hear about the crash, RockBiterSon.  Seems they always happen at the worst times.

Hermes: we may allow late submissions for the runner-up award categories.  Let us know if you find a way to get save uploaded!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9