Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who had the best fort in a dangerous setting?

Mishrak
- 1 (33.3%)
Flabort
- 2 (66.7%)
HavingPhun
- 0 (0%)
Gigaz
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: CHALLENGE: Best Fort in 10 Hours (Dangerous Area Voting is Open)  (Read 29964 times)

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CHALLENGE: Best Fort in 10 Hours
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2013, 11:02:55 am »

I totally found a volcano near a necromancer tower.  This is going to be awesome.

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2013, 03:20:43 pm »

The World of Cyclones
The Age of Myth, Year 1050

One year completed, but has taken nearly 7 hours starting from using Find to find a good site:
Find: Flux, shallow metals, deep metal
Found: Freashwater Swamp, Warm, Heavily Forested, Thick, Calm

I haven't made a story of it, but may do that after the 10 hours are up. I'm not concerned that it has taken so long, considering that I've accomplished a lot in one year.

After one year, FPS is at max (I set max to 80)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

1st Year Summary:
Squad of two has been sparring frequently and have copper axes and copper armor.
Four bedrooms below barracks with two assigned to squad.
Hunter has five kills and is gaining XBow skill (proficient marksdwarf).
Magma forge room is ready for magma to be let in below forge room.
Have dining room and bedrooms dug out near magma forge room for smiths.
Initial marksdwarf patrol routes, above entrance, level z+1, behind fortifications, are ready.
Fortress is secure with war dog at entrance - can raise fortress drawbridges using levers in main dining hall and safely shoot enemies from above.
Main dining hall has been smoothed.
Farm plots above and below ground.
Plenty of food and alcohol.
17 dwarves: 8 content, 8 happy, 1 ecstatic.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2013, 04:08:58 pm »

Only 3 hours in, I have but 4 dorfs, and am still in my first year. How's that?  :P
I should probably abandon and try another fort to submit.  ::)
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2013, 03:59:55 am »

I dunno I was enjoying reading about your undersea fort, especially where the dorf dashed out for the axe.  Did the immigrants die?  Maybe you could see how deep you can create a sustainable fort for the four?  Either that or engineer a retaking of the surface?    ???
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2013, 06:12:40 am »

Hill titans suck. Just over 6 hours in and a webbing hill titan has sparked a massive tantrum spiral that has so far killed half the fortress and isn't showing signs of slowing. Hopefully with less dwarves there'll be less bad thoughts from not having their own personal rooms :P. I also always forget how messy above ground forts can become. My meeting hall is just covered in blood, abandoned clothes and puke and I feel that using dwarf hack to clean it up would be cheating (following that new players wont know about pop cap, they wouldn't know about df hack).

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2013, 08:30:34 am »

My 10 hours fortress is ready.
I used phoebus graphics, the dwarf therapist and soundsense, nothing else.

I chose a site with a waterfall, woodland and shallow metal/deep metals in a scorching climate. I also had a necromancer tower nearby.
I started with:

2 Miners
1 Carpenter/Mechanic
1 Woodcutter/Engraver
1 Stonecrafter/Brewer
1 Grower/Mason
1 Grower/Axedwarf

All skills were chosen carfully based on the dwarfs personalities. Besides food, seeds, picks and two axes I took with me a set of copper armor, some threads, bituminous coal, sand bags and leather. I Also had three cats and three dogs and I was blessed with a Yak couple which surely suffered a lot in the scorching climate.

The fortress strived and I was able to play from Granite 1, 251 to Moonstone 11, 253. Two years, nine months and eleven days. In the end I accumulated 120 dwarfs (including a mayor and a baron) and 1.03 million dwarfsbucks of wealth. My FPS was 100 in the first year, then it went down slowly to about 60 at the end of the ten hours.

Special features of the fortress include:

- The Great Urist Dam and Lake Urist which is only to about 3/4 filled at the moment.
- 84 personal rooms, one for each dwarf or dwarf couple. Each room with a door, a bed, a mudstone cabinet and chest and a gem window through which the dwarf can see into the fishy depths of Lake Urist. The rooms were engraved by my two legendary engravers.
- Two big noble quarters with silver furniture and gem windows. Only smooved, no engravings.
- A power plant which produces 800 Urist*tile˛/tickł power. I use only 370 for my minecart-based fog generator and the millstones.
- A necromancer-based shooting range which does not work at the moment because I accidentally placed an undead instead of a necromancer behind the windows.
- Tons of copper arrows and armor and quite a few captured goblins and undeads. Also a minotaur child and a goblin who is also a weresquirrel.

File: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7442
Saved in ASCII graphics.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 03:00:34 pm by Gigaz »

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2013, 10:50:21 am »

Now I feel silly. I thought tomorrow was the eleventh. But next monday is.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2013, 12:13:42 pm »

Hermes: That reminds me:

Spoiler: Day 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Day 3 (click to show/hide)

I won't be abandoning after all. :)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 02:14:43 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2013, 06:27:46 pm »

The World of Cyclones
The Age of Myth, Year 1050

One year completed, but has taken nearly 7 hours starting from using Find to find a good site:
Find: Flux, shallow metals, deep metal
Found: Freashwater Swamp, Warm, Heavily Forested, Thick, Calm

I haven't made a story of it, but may do that after the 10 hours are up. I'm not concerned that it has taken so long, considering that I've accomplished a lot in one year.

After one year, FPS is at max (I set max to 80)

1st Year Summary:
Squad of two has been sparring frequently and have copper axes and copper armor.
Four bedrooms below barracks with two assigned to squad.
Hunter has five kills and is gaining XBow skill (proficient marksdwarf).
Magma forge room is ready for magma to be let in below forge room.
Have dining room and bedrooms dug out near magma forge room for smiths.
Initial marksdwarf patrol routes, above entrance, level z+1, behind fortifications, are ready.
Fortress is secure with war dog at entrance - can raise fortress drawbridges using levers in main dining hall and safely shoot enemies from above.
Main dining hall has been smoothed.
Farm plots above and below ground.
Plenty of food and alcohol.
17 dwarves: 8 content, 8 happy, 1 ecstatic.

Take Break 3rd Granite 1052 Early Spring
Resume 2:31 pm 3/3

Stopped playing on 2nd Opal, Mid Winter, 1052
Total time: One year, 10 months (started counting after 1050 year world gen over, but before using 'Find' to find a site with flux and metals - ran 'Find' over entire 'large region.')

FPS still at max of 80.
Population 53
Happiness: 1 Fine (in military), 8 Content (6 military and 2 babies), 20 Happy (7 from recent migration wave), 24 Ecstatic.
Have flux, tetrahedrite, and galena only.

Military: 2 squads of 4 each
Patrol routes Above East of entrance and Above West of entrance behind fortifications.
Repelled small ambush of goblin lashers with one squad of axedwarves and one squad of marksdwarves.
Military has copper armor, shields, and battle axes, wood crossbows, and copper bolts.

Great Magma Forge chamber with 3 magma smelters and 2 magma forges:
Metal Bars: 325 copper, 215 silver, 228 lead, 2 iron, 1 steel, 49 charcoal, etc

Hospital with 6 beds and 2 traction benches - hasn't been used.
Two moods: an ashen bracelet and a copper right gauntlet => a legendary armorsmith.

Two dining rooms - one a level above the Great Magma Forge chamber for smiths and a main dining hall that has been smoothed and has two levers for two drawbridges at entrance.
Bedrooms for military one level below barracks. Bedrooms for smiths two levels above Great Magma Forge chamber.

Mistakes:
If I was going to count world gen, I would have chosen much less than 1050 years.
I could have sped up finding a site if I had not chosen a 'large region' and ran 'Find' over the entire region.
Spent a lot of time paused, but that is how I always play.
I had FPS capped at 80. That's where I usually set it, but should have increased it for this competition.
Ran out of wood several times.
Too slow making wood bins.
Too slow making clothing.

Final thoughts: I varied little from how I usually play, other than rushing and worrying about running out of time. I did put more of an emphasis than usual on getting my military running very early on, and I believe that I did quite well to get my military where it is after only one year and ten months. Military is not only prepared for ambushes, but prepared for a siege. I intentionally did not train my military in marksmanship since I have found that dwarves train crossbow skill very quickly once they begin repelling ambushes and sieges. I prefer to initially have them train in melee skills to raise shield, dodge, and other skills and attributes. Had no problems with hunters hunting or marksdwarves equipping bolts and firing at enemies. No equipment problems with military. By the way, currently only one of the two squad is assigned bolts. At the moment, no hunters are assigned the hunting skill and hunters have no bolts assigned to them. This is because I had just prepared for a possible ambush as the dwarven caravan was about to arrive. I do have a 'Danger' alert and associated 'Danger' burrow to call in dwarves from outside if necessary.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/download.php?id=7445&f=The+Blanketed+Sacks.zip
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 01:12:59 pm by Kon »
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2013, 10:05:23 am »

OP updated with Kon's and Gigaz's submissions.

Some ideas of things to include in articles:
- jokes
- notes of anything you had to lookup in wiki or forum
- thoughts you had along the way about your fort (this post from Thatdude is a great example!)
Hill titans suck. Just over 6 hours in and a webbing hill titan has sparked a massive tantrum spiral that has so far killed half the fortress and isn't showing signs of slowing. Hopefully with less dwarves there'll be less bad thoughts from not having their own personal rooms :P. I also always forget how messy above ground forts can become. My meeting hall is just covered in blood, abandoned clothes and puke and I feel that using dwarf hack to clean it up would be cheating (following that new players wont know about pop cap, they wouldn't know about df hack).

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2013, 09:24:59 pm »

especially where the dorf dashed out for the axe. 

Oh, yes, and another thing.  :P He didn't dash OUT for the axe. He dashed IN with the axe, after being TRAPPED outside. I thought it might improve his survivability.
The Cyan Menace

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2013, 09:32:28 pm »

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2013, 09:55:56 pm »

I'm about 4 hours into my fort. It has lots of gold tetahedrite, magnetite, etc. I also found two adamantine viens. I have my magma forges built off of a magma tube. I have a Sinister biome bordering the north so I have undead coming in and out. I built two canals outside. One has a wall so far. I have around 60 dwarfs. I just stopped playing for tonight. Right before I left I got a surprise. A dwarf was drained of blood. My first vampire ever. I put the amount of vampire curses to 1000 in world gen. Now I have to find it. 4 dwarfs are dead. One was killed because undead goats were chasing him through the woods. I couldn't save him without losing my military. They are untrained. Another died after getting a cut on his hand. Before I noticed he was starving and dehydrated in the hospital it was too late. The third got killed saving a caravan and migrants while killing an undead water buffalo. The vampire killed the fourth.

I shouldnt have wood problems now. I surrounded a decent sized area with a canal and filled it with water. I will build my second row of walls soon. Now I want to focus on training my military. Getting adamantine and iron armor and weapons. I have several large deposits of magnetite. The admantine tubes seem to go down pretty far. I dug through the center. But I don't want to dig too far yet. I will probably have an assault on hell as my grand finally. If everything works out I am going to design this fort to kill demons and clear hell. Lots of cave ins and adamantine.

PS: The reason I had wood problems was bacause I had a range of undead outside ready to shatter peoples skulls. But now I have the area outside more secure. I have a necromancers tower nearby. Hopefully they will send sieges.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 09:59:18 pm by HavingPhun »

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2013, 11:54:09 pm »

More progress. Won't be taking the surface, draining the ocean, or attacking hell, but I will survive. And that's the important thing.

Spoiler: Day 4 (click to show/hide)

So yeah. Not enough time to try my trap design idea, but more success in taking this fort then I thought I'd have.
The Cyan Menace

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2013, 09:44:52 am »

So the fort entry deadline is tomorrow, March 6th.

Will that also be the conclusion for voting on the submission deadline?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9