Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who had the best fort in a dangerous setting?

Mishrak
- 1 (33.3%)
Flabort
- 2 (66.7%)
HavingPhun
- 0 (0%)
Gigaz
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: CHALLENGE: Best Fort in 10 Hours (Dangerous Area Voting is Open)  (Read 29793 times)

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
Re: CHALLENGE: Best Fort in 10 Hours
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2013, 09:53:49 am »

Last minute signup engage!

So I decided to park myself in a Joyous Wilds swamp. That happened to be scorching. I've never actually played a Good region before.

Fairly uninteresting in the first minute, but I noticed when I unpaused, I was chugging along at 8fps. From start. In a swamp. I've never had that problem before. It might have something to do with temp... I tried disabling it and reloading, but it doesn't seem to be helping the situation. FUCK.

edit: DFhack command "immolate all" worked, brought me up to 60fps at the expense of all the trees being dead. I don't like that option.

YOUR SETTLEMENT HAS BEEN ABANDONED

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

ROUND TWO, ENGAGE

So the fortress of Yellowwheel, situated in the neutral, yet savage, Shrublands, is now under construction. First thing I notice? Snow. Snow everywhere. I keep forgetting, "temperate" really means "fucking freezing". I'll be lucky if this shit melts in time for, well, ever.

The second thing I notice is all the god damn bugs. And I don't mean the savage wildlife. I mean FUCKING BEES EVERYWHERE. Naturally, while I'm getting my minecart stockpile and logging operations underway, I send the miners to go exterminate the colonies via cave-in flavored justice. Fuck yeah, justice.

Then the badgers showed up.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 10:21:53 am by laularukyrumo »
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2013, 10:44:05 am »

So the fort entry deadline is tomorrow, March 6th.

Will that also be the conclusion for voting on the submission deadline?
Yep, I'll end the poll and announce the deadline in about 34 hours.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2013, 03:12:45 pm »

So the fort entry deadline is tomorrow, March 6th.

Will that also be the conclusion for voting on the submission deadline?
Yep, I'll end the poll and announce the deadline in about 34 hours.
Signing up or handing in? Do the forts have to be uploaded and done by midnight march 6th?

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2013, 03:17:27 pm »

March 6th is the cutoff for new entries.  Meaning people participating (signups).  Right now we're voting on the date still for fort submission, but that vote ends on March 6th also.  Sorry for the confusion.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2013, 04:30:50 pm »

March 6th is the cutoff for new entries.  Meaning people participating (signups).  Right now we're voting on the date still for fort submission, but that vote ends on March 6th also.  Sorry for the confusion.
Its ok. Thank you. I was going to rush to finish up 6 hours tonight.  :)

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2013, 06:55:59 pm »

Sign me up! Probably attempt/finish this weekend.
Now just need to figure out my main goal.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2013, 07:06:47 pm »

In hindsight, I probably should've started on the aquifer before designating all the ramps to be nuked and going around and destroying all the colonies of ants/bees/beetles/whatnot on the map.

In my defense, ramp patrol is important to keep unicorns out, and I really fucking hate bees.

Oh well. At least the aquifer is only 1z deep, it'll be done in no time. I've got enough wood to last me approximately a while, DEFINITELY until we hit the caverns, and I can probably even burn some for charcoal--which I'm gonna need to do, as I was unable to bring coal with me.

Anyway, while I wait for the miners to finish, I've declared war on boulders. I'm smoothing every single fucking aboveground stone I see, because, they're ugly and get in my way. And I don't recall but I -think- they have a random chance of dropping a stone, which is gonna be nice, so I don't have to use wood to seal up the aquifer. No clay, for once--it's all loam and peat. Which, frankly, is a first for me. I sort of forgot DF actually had legit soil.

All right. Got the ramps dealt with, got the first stair channeled out... oh hey migrants. Sweet. Now I have an army of stone-murderers and pump operators and wall builders. Excellent. We might see stone before winter. Maybe. Hopefully. I should get a trade depot and some spiked balls made so I can buy out the caravan when it shows up.

FUCK. Two children and a fish dissector. God dammit. Okay, so I have ONE stone-murderer/pump operator/wall builder. That's one more than I currently have, you lazy fucks.

Ran out of booze while micromanaging the aquifer. Lol. At least I have plump helmets.

Animals are giving birth now. Time to cage the cats. That fish dissector? He's a cat slave already. I know who I'm drafting first.

On second thought.... He has a preference for Wagon Wood. Hahahahaha. Oh man. I forgot about that. WELP. Guess who's not allowed to be a noble?

EDIT: I actually think his wagon wood preference makes up for both the cat-loving and him being "extremely quick to tire." He probably isn't the best candidate for pump operation. I've gotten several "Cancels Operate Pump: exhausted" messages already. I -hope- I can put him to work in the pump gym to get that fixed, but it's unlikely to happen.

fuck

Bloody hell. The first safe z-level below the aquifer, and we've got iron, BUT IT'S UNDER A SECOND AQUIFER. That's it. I'm gonna go nuclear on this shit. I'm building a drain to the caverns, then strip mining THE ENTIRE FUCKING Z-LEVEL.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 09:05:13 pm by laularukyrumo »
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2013, 09:04:53 pm »

Good gourd.

I got frustrated and popped a quick DFhack reveal. Ten layers of aquifer, with varying patches of dryness.

Fuck it. I'm bowing out. Good luck y'all.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 09:23:21 pm by laularukyrumo »

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2013, 07:49:14 am »

Ok! I just finished my 10 hours. The goal of this fort was to create a human like town with each dwarf having their own personal house. No dwarf would live underground and no workshops would be there either. Only mining for stone and any infrastructure to transport the stone would be underground.

So how things went:

Year 1: Embarking and settling.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Year 2: Expanding and exploiting.

Year 3: Titans and terror.

Year 4: Recovery and Remembrance.

Final stats
Dwarves: Alive: 87 (all except babies with their own house) Dead: 67 (All with a grave and an engraved slab except the last death).

Wealth: 489 187 (157 994 in architecture, the majority).

Only 1890 exported (lol) 119667 “imported” (mostly stolen but yeah).

Number of blocks made: 3464. Only 70 were unused by the end.

End date 21st obsidian, 129. Almost 4 years after we embarked (in 126).

The final save!

If I can I'll upload images of the fort at the end of each year if anyone at all in interested. I have to say this was fun to do. I like having a set goal to work towards even if a large part of DF is setting your own goals to do. Really sorry but I didn't keep track of what my fps was like though it was pretty high throughout.

EDIT: Spelling, grammar and a few things to make it make a little more sense. Hopefully.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 05:46:26 am by Thatdude »

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2013, 08:23:28 am »

What was your FPS?

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2013, 12:29:33 pm »

I got frustrated and popped a quick DFhack reveal. Ten layers of aquifer, with varying patches of dryness.
I had no idea they could go that deep.  :(

Nice submission Thatdude, I lol'd a few times.  That artifact statue came at just the right time.

OP updated!

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2013, 03:17:31 pm »

What was your FPS?

-snip-
Really sorry but I didn't keep track of what my fps was like though it was pretty high throughout.

I edited that on the end a little after posting sorry.

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CHALLENGE: Best Fort in 10 Hours | Submit by March 11 !
« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2013, 01:19:50 pm »

So now the race to March 11th begins.

I've got some work left to do on mine, but it should be ready in time.  I'll probably go right down to the wire to polish the write-up some, as I have a fun (I think it's fun at least) story I want to tell.  I just need to work out how to do it.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2013, 09:52:49 pm »

I have 7 and a half hours completed. I'm thinking about how I should do my write up.

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2013, 10:29:05 pm »

I'm just short of 3 hours in on mine.  It's a little tricky finding more than 30 or 40 mins of time to plop down during the week.  It's progressing well, although I forgot to actually cook food and my dwarves were starving despite having 150 livestock, woops.  So I fixed that but lets see how we do.  First year is coming to a close.  I should be able to get a lot hammered out over the weekend (which I have no choice because monday is the 11th!)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9