Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who had the best fort in a dangerous setting?

Mishrak
- 1 (33.3%)
Flabort
- 2 (66.7%)
HavingPhun
- 0 (0%)
Gigaz
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: CHALLENGE: Best Fort in 10 Hours (Dangerous Area Voting is Open)  (Read 29792 times)

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CHALLENGE: Best Fort in 10 Hours | Submit TODAY !!
« Reply #90 on: March 11, 2013, 03:22:07 pm »

The write up is wierd, I got carried away and wrote about my vampire bookeeper. I also put it in spoilers to shorten this post. I left my previous posts in the second spoiler since they described the happenings of my fort.

Writeup:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Previous Posts:

Pictures

I started with 100(80) fps. Ended with 90(60). It is usually much higher but I increased max population and max sites.

Fort: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7472

« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 02:25:29 pm by HavingPhun »

RockBiterSon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 11, 2013, 08:27:59 pm »

Here it is. Everything that could go wrong did. Goblins attacked right after all my bolts had been used up, Famine, Well dried up, Alchohol ran out, Tantrum Spiral, I currently have a metric ton of berserk children running amok. At least no one vomitted on the monument. (though they did drop socks on it)

The fort limped into a slow spiral of death. Meanwhile I attempted to build a gold pyramid. Finally a goblin siege came along and put an end to the fort. It ends as every fort should: Surrounded by goblins, Miasma, X-Pig tail sock-X littered all over, and sections of floor torn up by tantruming dwarves.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 04:01:21 am by RockBiterSon »

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2013, 08:42:53 pm »

Haha!  ;D Well, I'm probably not getting the top prize.
Good luck, everyone, I look forward to seeing the results. :D
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2013, 10:00:54 pm »

Here's my submission:

Fort: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7474

I guess my main regret would be not doing a cool project, got too busy trying this new fort layout.

Good luck to anyone and everyone working to finish things up!
I'll update OP with the final submissions and get the poll going tomorrow morning.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 10:04:48 pm by Ruhn »

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2013, 10:36:25 pm »

Mine's done also.  Uploading it now and I'll edit this post with the writeup and screenshots shortly.

[edit] Save uploaded.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7475

Writeup:

So my original plan was to do a bit of roleplaying and tie it into the Ars article, but I kinda ran out of time, and things just weren't cooperating, so I had to improvise.  I built a shiny room dedicated to them out of gold and magma, and built a pit up top to dump large quantities of enemies (and not enemies) into the Ars room, as a means of making it very Dwarf Fortress like.  It worked really well.  I had to redesign it a couple of times, but the final build worked great.  If I were to do it again, I'd certainly make it better and more efficient.  (And harder to escape).  The problem was finding things to dump in it.  I embarked near a necro tower, and the last time that happened, I was sieged by zombies by the second year.  Well into the summer of the 3rd year, and that just never occured here.  I never even got ambushed by goblins, although I did trap a few.  I tried to open HFS but I was having issues digging under the magma sea, so I left that alone for the sake of time.  Finally, it was some sneaky human necromancers that provided at least enough entertainment and "decoration" for the Ars room, so it wasn't a complete waste.

Pictures:
Embark:

Before any ground was broken.  This place was always filled with boars, white cranes or vultures.  Or necromancers.  Just saying.

It took 121 z-levels of digging through two other caverns to finally find water.  I was a bit nervous till I did.  Notice the L shape in the center.  That would later become my site for my well.

Early wall construction, along with a Trade Depot and a moat.  The refuse pile is encased in walls to protect against necromancers.  Also notice the volcano dumping area in the upper right corner.  This proved to be very handy.

"Dwarves were harmed in the making of this fortress."  I lost several engravers to volcano breaches, one miner to a cave-in, and many others wounded or dead.  Such is Dwarf Fortress.  This picture is one haunting my Forging Area.

Another haunting, this time he's stalking the manager /expedition leader in the main food area.  There's several livestock areas for birds, several farms.  Kitchen and Brewery to the left, drink stockpile to the south, on the far east was a pigtail / cloth farm.  I accidentally cooked most of the plump helmets early on, so I was playing catchup most of the way trying to keep booze supplies high.  Sacking the elves helped a lot.

The main project, the Ars room.  This was the earliest screenshot I took of it, before it got all messy.  Hilariously, and rather fitting, is the dwarf miner corpse who fell into it during a cave-in while trying to expand the pit up above.

Ars Room from above.  Sadly, I didn't get a shot before there was blood all over the place, so it distorted the image a little bit.

20 Z-level drop.  The two headed ettin I dropped in there didn't survive, but the necromancer did.  And he made things fun.  Notice the 3 re-animated corpses in there.

This Caravan is about to have a really bad day.

The results of what happened next, after pulling the lever that retracted the bridges below that caravan.  I hated to do it to the dwarves, but I was out of time.  I had planned to tie necromancers up at the chains in that picture, but when this one survived the fall, I didn't have to anymore.

When it was all said and done, I'm pretty happy with the device I made.  It worked exactly like I envisioned it, and it didn't cause tantrum spirals because you weren't physically killing the enemies AND the corpses were in a room that was sealed off.  I have a feeling I'm not too far from a siege, and were I to continue with the fort, it would have been even more glorious a room - filled with zombie goblins and other things.

Anyway, this was done in roughly 10 hours.  I might have gone over by a few minutes, I'm not really sure.  It was close, either way.  Also my FPS ran at around 80 or so the entire time, except for a few situations where it dipped into the 50's and 60's for a few minutes.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 07:34:48 am by Mishrak »

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: CHALLENGE: Best Fort in 10 Hours \ Voting is Open /
« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2013, 09:03:41 am »

! ! !
OK, the voting is ready to go for the grand prize.
! ! !

I would also like to discuss how we should submit to Ars.  Some ideas are:
1) copy everything into an email and send to Casey Johnston
2) Just email her a link to the winning post (since she talked about going on the forums before)
3) Don't contact Casey directly, put a link to the winner in the article's comments
4) Recreate the writeup on a website and send links to that
5) Someone has a journalist friend that would post the writeup on our behalf
6) other really good ideas?

I meant to email her over the weekend to introduce our activity, will get to that in the next day or 2.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2013, 09:09:17 am »

I think just email her a link to the thread with some introductory context would be sufficient.

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2013, 09:31:36 am »

I agree, share some context and see what she does with it.  If she replies at all, I'll be happy.  I don't expect her to put an article up, but who knows.  :)

« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:55:33 am by Mishrak »

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 13, 2013, 06:53:36 am »

My computer doesn't work at the moment so I might not vote :(. I only looked at 2 or 3 forts.

RockBiterSon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2013, 01:33:19 pm »

I think we should just direct her to the thread. That way she can see mine too! But I'll vote as well.

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2013, 11:36:50 am »

Agreed.  I sent her a link, will let you guys know if I get an email response.

In the mean time let's keep voting for the "grand prize" going for a few more days.
I've gotten as far as downloading the forts, but not reviewing them all.

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2013, 01:39:11 pm »

I looked at all the other 7 forts and I will vote for Thatdude. I never thought that a above-ground fort could be so dwarfy.

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2013, 06:35:01 pm »

A reply!  LET THE VOTES CONTINUE!!

Quote from: Casey Johnston
Thanks for getting in touch, this is really cool! I'm glad you all decided to make something constructive out of my article. I'm interested in writing about some of the best finished 10-hour forts, and also who the winner was, and see how much further everyone got than me... can you let me know when a winner is chosen and also link me to some of the best ones, by any chance? I might need help interpreting them too, but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Let me know!

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 15, 2013, 06:46:46 pm »

Hah!  How great is that.  Love it.  Props to you Ruhn for organizing this.  I didn't think my idea of more than just a whim really, but it seems Casey likes this and that's worth the work we did.  Keep voting dudes!

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 15, 2013, 06:50:55 pm »

Hah!  How great is that.  Love it.  Props to you Ruhn for organizing this.  I didn't think my idea of more than just a whim really, but it seems Casey likes this and that's worth the work we did.  Keep voting dudes!
Kudos to you as well, Mishrak.  Your whim was brilliance.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9