Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Chancetips - ☼MDF Kobold Camp Tutorial Fort☼ - 5th Chapter  (Read 19945 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Chancetips - ☼MDF Kobold Camp Tutorial Fort☼
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 04:58:31 pm »

You dont need to be good. You need to be entertaining :P And even if not, a succession fort has many players. I just released a new version, why not start a Dwarf Fort? Smake has his Orc fort, and I am busy with the Kobolds for now. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 05:16:54 pm »

A trinity of MDF forts!
Alright, you convinced me, but I'm too busy this weekend to start. I'll start working on Monday.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 05:53:46 pm »

Chapter 2 - Of Caves and Kobolds

We are on a cave. A cave, on a cave. A CAVE! Get ready, hide, run, give me my machete and run. Keep the animals out, I go first. I explore. Run into cave, cut up strange burrower creature for good, all good now. Come on. Come, go in. OH NO. Bronze man, run, run, go out. Go Out.

Thats our start. First thing you should do is to assign your nobles and equip your military, if you have any. Caves always have inhabitants, and kobolds are not very strong. I started out against a brown burrower, and a few levels deeper a Bronze Statue. I retreated... no cave for now.

Kobolds carry food. Carry wood, dig dirt, make home. Bring rats and make kitchen. And carpenter for door. And bring the shalswars to protect food. And the trolls to protect kobolds from becoming food. And all is here. Except the shalswars. Too curious, now dead. All nice shalswars dead.  :'(

I starting digging a hide-out into the nearby hill. Its easier then digging a moat and building a wall, especially if you dont have any stone. I made a little maze-like entry, put both trolls in it, butchered the horse, and brought all the rats in, our herd. Very important to keep a breeding pair of rats. By that time the shalswars went hunting vermin in the cave... and all four got killed of course, by the Bronze Statue. I noticed that the Statue hit people with a Sandal it found, so I dared an attack and killed it with the brave bold, War Marshal Hanim. But too late. All my vermin-hunting pets are dead. That not only hurts our stockpiled food, it also means that we cant cook the vermin remains into more food.

While the rest of the bold was digging, stockpiling and making wooden thingies, our War Marshal run into the cave. Killed a nith. Run deeper. Run into the first cavern. Found a way tunneling underground. Run deeper. Run into the second cavern. So lucky. But then it struck me: Kobolds dont have the facilities to use the caverns. They cant use the crystal wood from the 2nd cavern. They cannot even dig the gems that are just in front of them, or the metal. There is nothing in the caverns, but a lot of free space and death. And probably wood and water, but we have that on the surface, with less death.

Lesson learned: Next Kobold Camp version will give Kobolds uses for caverns. Maybe dig the exposed gems. Breaking the crystal trees into pikes. Gathering some nice fungi in the first cavern. We will see. Currently there is no reason to go down there, except hunting and roleplaying. Like building a wooden "aboveground-fort" in the cavern. I will try this.

Here is the brave bold, leading the fray. One lonely kobold, deep below the earth.

Tutorial: Assign nobles just like in Dwarf Fortress. Quickly start a simple military. Take care of your pets, they are both your main food income and your best defense. Learn to use less space, because you only have a few z-lvls of soil. Rely on wood. Make wooden furniture, doors, blocks, everything. Its ok, you are Kobolds.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 06:57:50 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 07:26:35 pm »

Chapter 3 - The Summer Camp

Work progress, nothing too bad or too good happens for a while. First of all I locked the cave, to avoid further incedents. 3 more bronze statues run around, a cave croc, and who knows what. About 3 ingame days after I installed the door, a giant cave beetle walked up to it...

Now lets take a look at my camp. It is way different from a dwarven Fortress. There are no mason. No stone littering every tunnel. Nor really tunnels either. No stairs. And no wall or moat in view. There is simply not enough material, since I can only use wood at this moment. But at least my kobolds are busy.

Most things tend to run well. We have a designated miner that enlarges our cave, a woodcutter that brings new materials, a fisher helping us not to starve... and the rest is doing random odd jobs, mostly carrying stuff around at that time. Here is the current camp setup. Its several larger rooms and a maze-like entrance with guard trolls. On the outside you see my future wood-processing area, I want to wall this area in.  It is the first day of summer, and we have successfully survived one entire season. :)

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2013, 12:03:03 pm »

Seems kinda cluttered, doesn't it?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

tomio175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2013, 12:10:59 pm »

ptw

Meph, you rule.
...You're arguing with the GM? Why don't you argue with Jesus about how much Peter liked clams?
Because each player's delicious tears are fuel for the continued torture that is the Warrens of Oric the Awesome.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2013, 12:51:58 pm »

The camp, or the thread? ^^

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2013, 01:00:27 pm »

The camp, or the thread? ^^
The camp.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

CaptainKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • @DrCaptainKobold
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2013, 02:50:01 pm »

Camps should look cluttered!  No time for Dwarven efficiency!

I think it's interesting that you go for digging and caves.  I can see that lets you get much more of the camp built much faster.  I've usually built little wooden huts and villages, sometimes with a wooden wall around.  I may need to build on a cave this time though in case I want to go cavern exploring.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2013, 02:51:35 pm »

Caverns dont hold much for Kobolds atm, but I plant to change that. :)

Edit: I just wanted to say: I go for caves, because kobols officially live in cave.. check legends. :) I never heard of a kobold village before.

CaptainKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • @DrCaptainKobold
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2013, 02:53:28 pm »

I figure that caverns hold different kinds of wood, meat, and bones which can be enough to motivate kobolds seeking wonderful delicacies!  Cave crocodile meat likely tastes delicious after all and probably makes for some very scary looking bone armor.

mavj96

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2013, 10:33:11 pm »

I'm having serious problems getting ogres to equip tree trunks.

I have him pastured right next to the bed and the cloud has poofed on him multiple times and the tree trunk is not equipping.

CaptainKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • @DrCaptainKobold
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2013, 01:37:57 am »

The main reason I like to build a town for the kobolds is a couple of the kobold camp images.

Only the most glorious of constructions for my the boldest of the 'bolds.

Demonbutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2013, 02:10:59 am »

Oh my god! Bold me! I have no specific tastes :)

leafar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2013, 08:06:17 am »

I noticed that the Statue hit people with a Sandal it found,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

thats just its normal sandal, it saw vermin enter its cave and the newspaper was still on the loo - to ease ones bronze load takes quite some time...

also: troll me, so that i have an excuse for trolling :D
Quote from: LookingForGroup
I bet you would've laughed more if you were on fire.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4