Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Warframe Prototype - Welcome to Hell, Beta Tester!  (Read 17342 times)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Warframe Prototype - Welcome to Hell, Beta Tester!
« on: March 01, 2013, 09:12:37 pm »

You are the lowly employee of a private arms group- as class EE (Easily Expendable) employees, you get arguably the most fun job there is: Testing beta warframes.

What is a Warframe?

A Warframe (or WF for short) is a small-scale mecha- sort of a combination of a hardsuit and a thinktank. Pilots have room to sit inside cockpits, but the Warframes aren't very large- in fact, while Mobile Forts exist (classic large-scale mecha) Warframes are much cheaper, faster, and useful in the long term. That's why your company builds them. That's why you test them.

Ok, so how do I get started?
You'll need an Employee ID card. If you don't have one, you can always apply for another: simply fill out this simple form.
NAME:
WF CALL:

Rank stays at EE until you get promoted (explained later, when/if it comes up).
WF CALL is what you want your Warframe to be called. You will get to name it after seeing your warframe, but we ask you give a name beforehand for quick starting.

So I'm signed up. What about personal details?
These are fine. A bio is preferred, but there will be little in the way of influence this has on gameplay.

How do I get my Warframe?
The pilot of a Warframe needs to be in sync with the Warframe.
For this reason, we allow you to set up guidelines as to the Warframe's unique abilities to best suit your ability as a pilot. Another form:

Spoiler: WF NAME (click to show/hide)

So I have my Warframe. Can I customize it?
Yes and no. There is no shop, but sometimes a sponsor will give you some new arm or part you can use, or if you have the item at the end of combat (i.e, steal a rifle).

You can paint the Warframe however you like, customize it in any way you want aesthetically. If you do well in battle, you might be able to convince an engineer to make some "small changes" to the look of the frame.

Everything is set. Now what?

You'll be called when you're needed and payed for your work. You'll be paid nicely enough but note that having this job makes life expectancy plummet to less than a year more or so.
The Arena is outfitted to hold 4 Warframes in simulated combat. You aren't simulating the rounds, however. Either we get our data, we call a draw or merciful victory, or three of the four contestants die. It's simple, and effective.

Players are rotated. There will be Player Block A, then Waitlist Blocks that are cycled in after the players complete their match, so that everyone gets a chance and you can celebrate with your families that despite all odds you are still alive for another week and might get promoted if your luck can hold.

Huh? Blocks?
Each fight happens in a block. Blocks fill with players, and the overflow is sent to a new block. When the player block finishes, the next full block is moved to the player block, chaining down, and the survivor is put in the last available block.

So even if I win, there will be downtime.
More than likely, yes.

All right. So what is combat even like?
First things first, range is subjective. Firing at a target is considered getting in range if not already there then firing. If getting in range is not feasible, then the action fails with no penalty, if the action is considered feasible, you roll only an attack dice. Speed dice are used when breaking away from engagements, dodging, and moving large distances. There is no map, only a general idea of the Arena- it's a big freaking circle of concrete with some small built-to-code* buildings to simulate urban combat. It is always assumed there is cover to duck behind, a way to dodge conventionally, or make a save roll unless otherwise stated.

*Built to code as of 1980

That seems confusing.
It probably will be, but if you post a turn that would fail I'll tell you, and only proceed from there if you aren't in any danger you could avoid by doing something possible.

I'll go with it. What am I looking at as far as combat will happen? What kinds of weapons are there?
Weapon types are only revealed when they are handed out, but here are some common ones:
Battle Rifle- 2d6 take best- The Battle Rifle fires a short, controlled burst of bullets that makes it much more accurate as well as able to perform follow-up shots.
Physical Blade- 1d6 no armor subtract- A Physical Blade is built to destroy armor, and is not weakened by it.
Prototype Vertical Missile- 1d6, 1d8 Splash- A roll is done to see how accurate the missile is, then it explodes. Seems to be unstable, so you never know how useful it will actually be.

So, can I sign up? How are you taking signees?
For the first batch of people, I'm going to be looking for at least semi-serious entries. A bio will help. While pilots are a lesser mechanic, it's still nice to have personalities play out in combat.
After that, everyone gets in. The first four are the best to show up, but everyone who signs up gets a spot.

ON DECK
Spoiler: Corsair/Lucius Caestus (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: scrapheap/Clair P. Zen (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Perseus13/Juan Rico (click to show/hide)

WAITLIST BLOCK A(gain)
Spoiler: Wwolin/Garfield Bennet (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: borno/John Tod (click to show/hide)

Waitlist B
Spoiler: Doomblade/Ceral (click to show/hide)
---
PREVIOUS PLAYERS
These are so the slain can take a look at their old sheets. Only one block is kept here at a time. If a player submits a new sheet, their old one here is deleted.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 05:02:38 pm by Tsuchigumo550 »
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: Warframe Prototype - Welcome to Hell, Beta Tester!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 09:27:10 pm »

NAME: James Denaron
WF CALL: Blade

SPEED:+
REACTION:=
ARMOR:=
STURDY:-
ADAPT:=
ARMS:=
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 10:08:23 pm »

-snip-

An engineer pulls you away from the lobby moments later.

"Aye, here she is, the X08 Storm Banner. Ya call it whatever you want to, now, it's better that way. Let me show ou what this baby has.

The Storm Banner isn't slow by any means, but it's a little finicky under that armor, so try not to get hit. It's got stock processors under that helm, enough for two weapons and a system.
It's been loaded up with:
Type 44 Windmill (Unique, Energy Blade)(4d4)(2 Slots)
--- A very strange weapon, the Type 44 Windmill is best described as a yo-yo. It activates, rockets twoards the target with deadly spinning plasma blades, makes contact, and returns.
DGN Flare System
---Powerful one-shot flares. Guaranteed to misdirect missiles for one turn. Once per battle.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 10:15:00 pm »

NAME: Scott Hengman
WF CALL: Ripley

SPEED: +
REACTION: +
ARMOR:
STURDY: -
ADAPT: +
ARMS: - -
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 11:21:21 pm »

NAME: Joe Bridger
WF CALL: Archmage

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 11:30:06 pm »

NAME: Peter Peak
WF CALL: Swifty
SPEED: ++++
REACTION: ++++
ARMOR: -
STURDY: ----
ADAPT: --
ARMS: -

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 12:44:36 am »

Cool, someone took my idea and made it more--oh wait. Nope, this is something completely different.

NAME: Worshak G. Gethercole
WF CALL: Drake
Speed: ---
Reaction: -
Armor: +
Sturdy: +
Adapt: +
Arms: +
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 01:01:10 am »

This is the QSWF Afterburner, "Ripley".
Not sure who th' hell designed it, but it seems like it'd do better at sports... of the non blood-sport variety. It's weapon dosen't make much sense either- you've only got a limited number of shots without visiting a hangar. Seems adaptable enough though, if you think you can pull that off...

That right there is the O9 Oracle "Archmage".
Isn't that a beauty. I can't see it doing anything but recon, but at least it can cause some real damage! It's computers can really handle weapons systems! Still, you might want to never get hit ever, unless you like feeling like a butterfly in buckshot.

Lastly, that's the GA03 NSN Mustang "Swifty".
I don't think I'm quite stupid enough to be an engineer, but, at least this one has SOME armor. Still, those joints have enough trouble dealing with their own weight, let alone bullets. At least it's fast.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 01:01:21 am »

NAME: Lucius Caestus
WF CALL: Vulcan

SPEED: +
REACTION:+++
ARMOR: +
STURDY: -
ADAPT: ----
ARMS: +
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 01:23:19 am »

The Type 101 Titan "Drake".
It might not move fast, but I wouldn't ever want to take this thing on. It's thickly armored and ready for combat! What's better is that machinegun- I'd say this machine is war-ready right now, if it wasn't for it's speed.

QK Vanguard "Vulcan"

I like this build, but it seems like the engineers were a little strange. A fast, reactive mech has a system that disables it's movement? Eh, who knows. It's fast, it's well armed, and if it can keep dodging it won't need to worry about taking damage. The only problem I forsee with it is it's hideous lack of adaptive control systems.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 01:26:19 am »

((What is the vulcan armed with?))
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Re: Warframe Prototype - Round 1! Prototypical!
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 01:31:21 am »

Pilots! Prepare yourselves! Go hot, as your lives depend on it!

ROUND ONE! Let the match... BEGIN!

Blade, Ripley, Archmage, and Swifty appear on opposite ends of the big, smaller urban enviroment of the Test Dome. The buildings block each other's views of each other, even Ripley's vertical missiles having trouble getting a lock. With just a little positioning, however, every unit could feasibly attack a different unit, unless Archmage stays back. Archmage is just out of Blade's reach.

All of the buildings are impossible to see over, but the roadways provide clear sight lines. All of you can climb to the rooftops without being at too much of a disadvantage (speed check) or you could stick to the ground. All decisions based on positioning are important-

Detail how you want to be positioned. "Move out and fire at him" means I'm much more likely to put you somewhere suicidal than "hang behind cover from the rooftops, firing at -him- from cover" would.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 01:32:49 am »

((It's in the OP. You got a "signature weapon" which is fairly rare, a weapon based on what the mecha is.))

((A physical blade that damages armor and some puny missiles, basically.))

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 01:33:57 am »

thanks

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 01:39:48 am »

Go to the rooftops, and try to get into assault rifle range of archmage. If I can do something after that, fire from the safety of the roof.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 01:41:44 am by borno »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13