Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to make dwarf fortress videos in Linux?  (Read 510 times)

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to make dwarf fortress videos in Linux?
« on: March 02, 2013, 11:33:32 am »

Hope I am asking in the correct forum. :)

Can any of you Linux users suggest the best way to make CaptnDuck-style videos of my dwarf fortress play, with my narration captured through the microphone, for posting on Youtube? I've tried kazam (but it gets the aspect ratio wrong, the videos are squished horizontally) and RecordItNow (but the frame rate is terrible, it's like a slideshow). I'm running the latest Linux Mint 14 64-bit with Nvidia graphics.

Alternately, if I can't get it working in Linux, what are people using in Windows these days?

Thanks!

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to make dwarf fortress videos in Linux?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 09:32:12 pm »

I have no experience in linux. Except for the one time I installed Ubuntu on another partition and never used it. But I know that on windows fraps will not work with df. But there is a built in recorder for the game. If I remember correctly it shows numbers and letters that represent what you are pressing off to the side. I would either wait for someone who can help with linux or search something like: "Best free recorders for linux". Sorry that I couldn't really help.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 11:11:33 pm »

I tweaked the settings on kazam and it seems to work pretty well now. It was choking on fullscreen but can handle windowed mode with only occasional crashes. If I figure out some optimal settings I will post here. :)

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 11:18:27 am »

The secret is to use a compositing windows manager (I just had to switch this setting on in Xfce under Settings->Windows Manager Tweaks) and install the newer version of Kazam from the PPA.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 02:33:36 pm »

^ Awesome, will be very helpful if I don't get good results from kazam.