Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Unliveable Fortress: Evil Fortress Reclaim Challenge  (Read 7852 times)

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Unliveable Fortress: Evil Fortress Reclaim Challenge
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 10:58:42 pm »

I got my adventurer to the fort, and undead really aren't that hard to kill (at least temporarily) as an adventurer.  The problem is the FPS is godawful.  I don't think I can take it.   I might try some more if I have time, but that's likely not to happen in the near future. 

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 11:59:59 pm »

Good job, racnor! Pirate Bob, I'm super impressed with you, too.
I can't get my adventurers to survive against a wolf. Let alone several hundred undead.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 03:43:07 am »

Abdominal Gloom sounds like a really bad gastrointestinal infection.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 02:25:03 pm »

Good job, racnor! Pirate Bob, I'm super impressed with you, too.
I can't get my adventurers to survive against a wolf. Let alone several hundred undead.

I haven't actually seen that many undead at the site.  Only maybe 10 total, and of those only a couple at a time.  The only really dangerous thing was a water buffalo skeleton, and I hid an threw stuff at it from a safe distance until it collapsed, and then butchered it.  If the FPS was even tolerable it would be a really fun (and not overly difficult) place to send an adventurer.  I don't actually have an FPS monitor, but at many points it takes me about 10 sec to move one tile, so...

On that note, does anyone know any tricks I can use to make the FPS less horrible?

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 02:54:37 pm »

On that note, does anyone know any tricks I can use to make the FPS less horrible?
The wiki has an article on it:http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Maximizing_framerate
In addition if your adventurer has a higher speed then other things will get less turns between yours.

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 04:34:55 pm »

Oh dear. An ant Queen killed another ant. The tribe is now slowly being torn apart by zombies.

EDIT/Update

Dear diary-engraving
17th of moonstone
I have grown tired of hearing the screams. Today we act. This operation was long in the making, and I have ordered my three remaining compatriots to tie up their current affairs. The fields lie fallow and the forges lie dark. Just yesterday, we finished stocking the seeds away and helping Geshud load his cages. My dear Sakzul is preparing to breach the thin walls that hold back oblivion, and Olon stands ready at the lever. My bridges are done now, and all I can do is wait, praying that I can plug the gap fast enough for the inevitable slip-up.  The rain has just begun, A sign from Uker. Please, Holy Aval. I have gone through all the services. I have worshiped you ardently since first I knew your name. Please keep us alive.

Eshtan Focuspick, leader of the  Umomudar Expedition

Yay for cliffhangers!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 09:30:42 pm by racnor »
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2013, 10:08:02 pm »

Good luck!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2013, 11:18:51 pm »

The wiki has an article on it:http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Maximizing_framerate
In addition if your adventurer has a higher speed then other things will get less turns between yours.
That isn't really what I had in mind.  I was wondering if anyone knows specifically how to alleviate the really nasty framerate hit you take when visiting a fortress in adventure mode.  I heard that sleeping in the fortress is very bad, due to some kind of bug, and was wondering if there were other known bugs that I could avoid to make things less slow.  I suppose I could try running some of the DFHack cleaning commands, but I don't know how much that will help.  I always have FPS drop terribly whenever I visit a fortress, even if it's pretty clean.  I suspect it has something to do with all the critters underground moving around, but I'm not really sure.  I suppose I could use reveal, kill all the underground things with magma/obsidian, and then unreveal, and see if that makes things better...

That being said, I did do some more adventuring in the fort, culminating with my dwarf being crippled when a disembodied head bit hit foot to pieces:
I might try again with another adventurer later this week if I have time.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 08:09:10 am »

Or you could reclaim it...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2013, 12:46:16 pm »

I'll have a go. After all, it can't really end worse than this
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2013, 04:49:35 pm »

Probably, but I wouldn't bet on it...
Sig

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2013, 04:50:22 pm »

That isn't really what I had in mind.  I was wondering if anyone knows specifically how to alleviate the really nasty framerate hit you take when visiting a fortress in adventure mode.  I heard that sleeping in the fortress is very bad, due to some kind of bug, and was wondering if there were other known bugs that I could avoid to make things less slow.  I suppose I could try running some of the DFHack cleaning commands, but I don't know how much that will help.  I always have FPS drop terribly whenever I visit a fortress, even if it's pretty clean.  I suspect it has something to do with all the critters underground moving around, but I'm not really sure.  I suppose I could use reveal, kill all the underground things with magma/obsidian, and then unreveal, and see if that makes things better...

That being said, I did do some more adventuring in the fort, culminating with my dwarf being crippled when a disembodied head bit hit foot to pieces:
I might try again with another adventurer later this week if I have time.
It's probably the underground stuff. The ant tribes are having a turf war.

Three dwarfs stood before a dark tunnel. Above them, the sound of sand being hacked through moved slowly closer, then ground to a halt. Moments later, a blur of steel and leather vaulted down into the other end of the tunnel and sprinted to the end, before slamming the door behind him and sliding the bolt. "Done" gasped Sakzul, resting on his pick. Behind him, ghastly visages staggered one by one into the hole he had made. the time had come.
Olon grasped the inexpertly made lever imbedded in the floor and began to wrench it back and forth. With each swing, the floors of the tunnel rose up on strong hinges, and smashed back down with bone crushing force. The horde saw only the path, and shambled slowly onwards. A dwarven skeleton with a few strands of meat still hanging from it was caught in the first smash, and when the bridge lifted again there was only a smear. For days the solemn procession continued. Zombies would notice the hole, stagger in, and be smashed. the  four had to take turns at the lever while the others ate. Occasionally a recently killed merchant would dash onto the bridge just as it fell back and reach the end before it could rise again, but these were snapped up by a line of cage traps.
Finally, a series of hollow thuds came down the hall. A horned skeleton with glowing red eyes staggered down the tunnel. Eshtan, manning the lever for her forth day, mechanically brought the bridge up, but instead of the usual crunch, there was a violent cracking noise. The Water buffalo caught the falling floor with it's horns and twisted, sending the whole thing apart in a shower of blocks and gears. A turkey corpse zipped down the corridor and triggered the final trap. The backup bridge slammed up and down a few times, but the hulking skeleton calmy walked up to it and slammed a hoof down, holding it in place. Whitefaced, Eshtan began to pile rocks up in the end of the hall. A wave of rotten dwarves and goblins stopped short as they realized that the door was sealed.
Then they parted, and a tiny, squat skeleton with long ears slipped through. It had been over a year since Struglaybin had taken his chance at the the bonanza of *steel Battle Axe*s and -Silver cage-s of the Umomudar wastelands, and his spirit no doubt regretted it, but he was still a Kobold, and thus in possession of certain privileges. Golden-red fire glowed in the depth of his eyes as he stepped up to the door and placed a gentle hand upon it. It slid open without a sound-

Revealing a wall of solid quartzite. The fort was safe.

I just realized that a zombie water buffalo ridden by a zombie kobold in an evil biome would be invulnerable to anything less than cave-ins and carbonite/flashfreeze.
EDIT- Really glad I didn't try to deal with the ants. An ant spearwoman has fought her way to master status with 133 kills attributed to her weapons (112 for the spear, 9, 10, and 2 for her 3 shields. She did this all with two legs missing.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 05:01:54 pm by racnor »
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2013, 07:43:05 pm »

That's what you get for trying to use atomsmashers to cheese your way out.
Sig

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2013, 02:08:05 pm »

*downloads save*
*runs DF*
*reclaim fortress*
*are you sure?*
*Y*
*prepare for the jou PLAY NOW*
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."
Pages: 1 [2] 3