Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Unliveable Fortress: Evil Fortress Reclaim Challenge  (Read 7854 times)

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unliveable Fortress: Evil Fortress Reclaim Challenge
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2013, 07:04:39 pm »

Yes. Another one fouled up a part of the mk2 demi-smasher.
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

Darchitect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2013, 07:12:49 pm »

Zombifying greatly increases mass. Hence the Zombie Bacon thread.

I tried to smash a zombie yak in my play of this fort. Damn thing ruined two bridges!

But I'm loving this... Seriously a blast. I'll post pics of my fort soon.

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2013, 07:18:33 pm »

A further tip. All parts of a size 1,200,000 creature retain the ability to break bridges. Fear the hair.
ANT UPDATE EDIT-
The 60+ animalmen have been reduced to:
2 back to back ant wrestlers in the ruins of their village, they’ll probably die soon. (They’re wrestlers because they lost their weapon hands).
An olm man who skipped town before his little world collapsed.
An ant drone who apparently decided that poison darts are… less than optimal against undead. He is unique in that he also decided “f**k this I can fly” after his abdomen and leg were smashed. He looks down upon the writhing remains of his family.
4  ant spearmasters. The soldier ant wielder of a 1204 kill spear also has 2 named shields with 31 and 32 kills. Unfortunantly, she was wounded early on and I’m starting to see pus on the wounds. An unwounded drone claims 556 spear kills, and 13-11-11 shield kills. A lackluster queen has 79 spear and 5-0-2 shield (she has a third shield but never used it. The worker ant I first saw has 582 spear and 22-22-8 shield.
Finally, a wrestler with 2 shields and nothing else has 11 kills on one, and 138 kills on the other.
The batmen are dead and gone.
Even the spearmasters seem to spend a large portion of their time biting and punching, so this is only a fraction of their total kills. Is there a limit to how many undead are revived by a region at once? If yes, then I owe these guys a lot.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 11:08:56 pm by racnor »
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2013, 11:13:33 pm »

There is a limit, but it's based on how many things are foolish enough to enter and die.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

saurio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2013, 03:30:13 pm »

ok, after a few undead birdpeople tries, I managed to seal the initial 7 in, breached the aquifer, built a small and comfy fort and started the steel industry. Haven't breached the caverns yet.

However, the undead keep piling on the surface... any ideas (that hopefully don't involve pumping magma up 100 zlevels)?

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2013, 09:02:43 am »

A few blunt weapon traps seem to have a very low chance of jamming on undead kills. This one copper ball trap has around 130 kills. On your end, where did you find iron? I have plenty of marble, but only tetrahedrite, galena, and some native silver/gold.

Darchitect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2013, 03:59:29 pm »

ok, after a few undead birdpeople tries, I managed to seal the initial 7 in, breached the aquifer, built a small and comfy fort and started the steel industry. Haven't breached the caverns yet.

However, the undead keep piling on the surface... any ideas (that hopefully don't involve pumping magma up 100 zlevels)?

Cage traps FTW!

I'm comfortably settled in. I've cleaned the entire surface and I'm getting ready to pierce the third cavern. I did have a terrible fright when a kobold ambush showed up inside my fort, but we handled them surprisingly easily.

Also, I feel like we should warn people that there's an outdoor meeting area set up. Lost several dwarves to it before I realized what was happening.

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2013, 04:09:13 pm »

Oh, and the animal-man tribes are gone. None of the spearmasters had anything other than standard "but the shot is blocked" messages, so I have to assume they died of old age. The wrestler with the super-kill shield died while almost suffocating a forgotten beast (Thefin the hairy viper) by bashing it's lungs in. I don't think I'll ever see such a display again, and he did it with wooden shields. If he were a dwarf, his tomb would be made of adamantium.

saurio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2013, 08:32:09 pm »

A few blunt weapon traps seem to have a very low chance of jamming on undead kills. This one copper ball trap has around 130 kills. On your end, where did you find iron? I have plenty of marble, but only tetrahedrite, galena, and some native silver/gold.
Some 30-40 tiles to the southeast of the start, and some 7-8 levels down, I found at least two layers chock-full of magnetite and coal.

The problem is that killing undead in an ever-respawning evil biome is pretty pointless, so I was thinking of a more... permanent, solution, with extra style points if possible. Like Darchitect said, I guess cage traps would just work.Altho they feel so much less dwarfy than, say, flushing the undead into the ocean or something.

Anyway, I left this fort parked after it started suffering The Curse(tm), which happens to me from time to time and means things start going weird, in this case some mining designations being utterly ignored for no apparent reason (yes, I do know what I'm doing).

Trying to exploit something I noticed to build a fort inside a volcano atm.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 08:34:31 pm by saurio »

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2013, 12:41:12 pm »

The useful thing about the traps is that they reset faster than the undead rise, so a single trap can pin down a bunch of corpses.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2013, 11:19:17 pm »

Doing challenge, Inod Knifeshock the demigod is setting forth to hunt the zombie hordes!

Edit: 2 tiles west of the fort, my maceman servant and i encountered some giant hogs. They were quite undead, and I suddenly realized I should have brought a hammer, rather than an axe, and studied hammering, rather than axework. My maceman ally died quickly. I defeated the foul things by throwing silver arrows I'd taken of a kobold. This is going to prove harder than I thought.

Edit 2: Aaaand he is dead. Catten Manspear (oh RNG!) the hammer dwarf will pick up his mission.Just bit off a boogieman's head. So far, so good.

Edit 3. He too is dead. So many boogiemen. Time to take a break.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 12:11:32 am by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2013, 05:28:56 pm »

Whenever you restart, try finding some companions.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2013, 06:40:31 am »

Whenever you restart, try finding some companions.
Companions are few and far between in this world, as at year 13 the humans have only established one town, and no outdoor fortresses. I believe there are approximately 6-10 soldiers in the northern half of the continent. 

If you want to have a selection of decent companions, you might consider creating a few adventurers and then immediately retiring them, so that you can go back later to recruit them with your "real" adventurer.
Pages: 1 2 [3]