Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Unliveable Fortress: Evil Fortress Reclaim Challenge  (Read 7822 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Unliveable Fortress: Evil Fortress Reclaim Challenge
« on: March 02, 2013, 03:27:47 pm »

So there's this one fortress I've had, which I've thrown reclaim parties and an adventurer at repeatedly to try and make it inhabitable.
The problem? It's in an evil biome.

Yeah.

The site is covered with bodies and hastily-made constructions to try and make a safe place to live before the zombies overwhelmed them. Abandoned wagons and scattered clothes, along with empty, broken barrels form homes for the terrified rats and other vermin trying to avoid notice of the walking corpses. You can't walk ten feet without finding a pit or stepping on a tool of tarnished copper or something. And, of course, the dead lie in wait.
Oh, and clouds of lavender mist known as Abominable Gloom drift by. They are known to cause numbness, which actually mightn't be so bad.

This place is your challenge.

There are three levels to this challenge:
Cheesemaker: Make a functioning fortress with your Starting Seven.
Dwarf: Figure out a way to let migrants and traders into the fortress safely(ish).
Dorf: Drive out the undead and leave the fortress site as safe as it can be; if a dwarf wanders outside when there isn't a siege, they should have a higher chance of dying from invaders than zombies.
If you've completed the challenge, zip up your save, upload it, and you'll get into the Unliveable Fortress Hall of Fame.
Whatever you do, it would be nice if you'd record it. Number of reclaim attempts, notable events, any adventurers used, etc. That kind of stuff is way more interesting than a clean fortress uploaded.

The Save. It should be the only reclaimable fort. Regardless of what should be, it isn't. Look for Umomudar.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 09:33:46 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: Unliveable Fortress: Evil Fortress Reclaim Challenge
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 04:15:35 pm »

Sounds Fun, I'm loving the huge number of challenges popping up nowadays. My evil embark 10 hour fort is about crumbled, so I'll try this one next, eh?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 04:51:28 pm »

I might try sending an adventurer to this fort.  Any thoughts about that?  Is it possible to kill all the undead in adventure mode by smashing them into small enough pieces, or maybe alternatively putting them all inside of containers (when down)?

Does this region have syndrome rain etc. that is likely to kill an adventurer?  Inevitable death to rain would be kind of not fun...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 05:07:08 pm »

I might try sending an adventurer to this fort.  Any thoughts about that?
Go ahead, I did that once. You may want to mention it...actually, logging attempts sounds Fun.

Is it possible to kill all the undead in adventure mode by smashing them into small enough pieces, or maybe alternatively putting them all inside of containers (when down)?
Smashing them into small pieces eventually leaves you with reanimated heads and hands. It's a start. I'd also recommend butchering what you can.
Putting corpses into containers means you'll have a zombie bursting out of your backpack sooner or later.

Does this region have syndrome rain etc. that is likely to kill an adventurer?  Inevitable death to rain would be kind of not fun...
Not that I noticed.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 05:48:03 pm »

It appears there are actually 3 reclaimable forts.  I checked and the fort in question is definitely "Umomudar", the fort in the northeast corner of the world in the middle of an evil biome.  I did test embarks at the other two forts (which are far to the south on the edge of glaciers) and both are deserted and appear to have been abandoned within the first season.  Maybe those shouldn't be considered "reclaimable"?  In any case, for anybody else interested, you want the third fort listed (Umomudar).

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 05:51:47 pm »

Once I get a computer with Internet, I'm downloading and sending an adventurer in.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Symmetry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 06:03:11 pm »

No sure if this is a spoiler
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 06:44:48 pm »

It appears there are actually 3 reclaimable forts.
My bad, sorry. I'll edit the OP to correct that error.

No sure if this is a spoiler
Aren't there seven little holes to that with little dwarf corpses in them?
Sig

Symmetry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 06:50:35 pm »

Well yes, but if you're trying it from scratch it tells you what to bring :D

Actually this isn't too bad, as you've collapsed the wagon sites you've done the hard work, there's just some ramps to remove right at the start and you're safe from all but fliers.  If your dwarves all have picks, and max mining and doging skills the few zombies that get to you aren't a problem.  After that it's standard aquifier cracking + dead disposal.  I'm chucking dead stuff in the aquifier :D

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 08:46:36 pm »

Not that I noticed.

Yes it does.

Don't know what it does, though. Not sure I want to find out.
EDIT: Numbness, at least. It made some alpaca wool numb.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 08:49:57 pm by Loam »
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 09:33:02 pm »

Not that I noticed.
Yes it does.
That's not rain.

Nor is it something I noticed. The zombies must have occupied my attention, or maybe it didn't show up. OP being updated...
Sig

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 09:55:23 pm »

Doing pretty well over here.
I managed to drag a few seeds and an anvil over to a hole in the wall and seal it with stone blocks. Unfortunately, 2 of the militia and one of the 2 miners didn't make it. The remaining dwarves decide to make the most of their remaining time, because the expedition leader/mason fell in love with the miner immediately, and the other mason is spending all her time with the only member of the militia who ran fast enough.
The aquifer was breached for the first time in any of my forts (I usually just turn them off), with minimal wounding. I have just reached stone. we have no trained growers, herbalists or brewers. This is going to be !!fun!! soon if I don't hurry.

EDIT-oh, and i shoved the horses into a pit. Will the thrips men or the disembodied mantis woman wings will get them before starvation? Only time will tell.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 10:15:07 pm by racnor »
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

Darchitect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 06:26:47 pm »

This sounds delicious.

Will it bother you if I'm using Modest Mod and a graphics pack? I guess all you're really looking for are screenshots and stories, though...

Can't wait to try!

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 08:46:34 pm »

The game is using psychological warfare against me. I cannot stop thinking the migrants. I have watched an endless procession of miners, metalworkers and amazingly skilled fighters march out onto the surface, and then die. Just as I was thinking of using glass instead of wood or metal for a set of traps, a high master glassmaker walked onto the map in the middle of a swarm of heads and horse hair. One group of skilled archers held off the crowd for a while, but they ran out of bolts. A miner named Morul Windsilver hacked down wave after wave of undead until she was slowly ripped apart. Only when I saw that her anti-ghost slab had "devoted wife and mother" on it did I realize that her husband and child had been standing behind her. I can't watch this anymore.

We are at 127 dead. Thus, we probably have about 127 undead. Unfortunately, we also have 60-odd animalmen in tribes in the caverns. I've seen ant men, olm men, and batmen so far. Neither the surface nor the caverns holds anything but GCS venom darts or clouds of abdominal gloom. The patches of empty clay I cleared are bearing fruit, so I have a few logs (finally, beds!) and I should be able to get a nice crop of pig tails soon.

Finally, the magma-works are ready. My miner dug them a long time ago, but the sea is 113 z-levels below my mechanism stockpile. so It took months to set up the floodgate links, and the mason building the walls kept on blocking the construction site he was working on. The first batch of copper just emerged from our forges.
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 09:17:02 pm »

This sounds delicious.
Will it bother you if I'm using Modest Mod and a graphics pack? I guess all you're really looking for are screenshots and stories, though...
Graphics packs are fine.
If you can somehow install the MM, well...try it and see how it works.

The game is using psychological warfare against me. I cannot stop thinking the migrants. I have watched an endless procession of miners, metalworkers and amazingly skilled fighters march out onto the surface, and then die. Just as I was thinking of using glass instead of wood or metal for a set of traps, a high master glassmaker walked onto the map in the middle of a swarm of heads and horse hair. One group of skilled archers held off the crowd for a while, but they ran out of bolts. A miner named Morul Windsilver hacked down wave after wave of undead until she was slowly ripped apart. Only when I saw that her anti-ghost slab had "devoted wife and mother" on it did I realize that her husband and child had been standing behind her. I can't watch this anymore.
Hey, you did better than I have.

We are at 127 dead. Thus, we probably have about 127 undead. Unfortunately, we also have 60-odd animalmen in tribes in the caverns. I've seen ant men, olm men, and batmen so far. Neither the surface nor the caverns holds anything but GCS venom darts or clouds of abdominal
Abominable.

Finally, the magma-works are ready. My miner dug them a long time ago, but the sea is 113 z-levels below my mechanism stockpile. so It took months to set up the floodgate links, and the mason building the walls kept on blocking the construction site he was working on. The first batch of copper just emerged from our forges.
Wow. Nice.
Sig
Pages: [1] 2 3