Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: The Legend of Roll and Dodge: Turn 3: Counting Turns Might Not Be Lame  (Read 12416 times)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Roll and Dodge: Turn 3: Counting Turns Might Not Be Lame
« Reply #105 on: April 18, 2013, 10:30:21 pm »

I know for Kill Escape Restart I messed up big time when I made three different groups with 13 total characters so it died. But because of one player who loved the RTD I resurrected it recently in an improved form.

((This isn't really a fun game. For me. Like, making it.

I'm not sure how to make a fun game other than I keep accidentally stumbling onto the formula for one every once in a while.

I'll try to squeeze an update out sometime soon though.))
I can imagine. Doing lots of art and such seems like it'd sour things a bit quickly. :/

That's not even it though, just part of it. I'm starting to realize something about the games I make.

The ones that I run for a long time and get invested in and have great success with are the ones I don't think out at all beforehand.

Warrens was just going to be a generic dungeon crawler parody. MKW was just going to be running about bashing goombas and making Mario references. So on and so on.

It's like, when I have an idea in mind for how something "should" be run or "should" be written or 'should" be drawn I get tired of it immediately after starting it.

It's funny. I've seen it in every GM tips thread: think things out BEFORE you start them! But, as it turns out, that corners me into doing things a certain way. Like, even if it doesn't, I absolutely hate to downsize. I don't know. Maybe those tips aren't for everyone and I should just stop making games with a story at the beginning.
THis has happened to me too. I expected my first RTD to be a thing I did for a week to figure out how to GM. Its still going. And the first one I planned out I stopped cause I got bored with it.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 18, 2013, 10:49:09 pm »

...one's a wormbatthing monster who might be founding the Worm Tribe...

Make that a definitely, just gotta figure out some way to stay a wormbatthing monster to keep the looks of a proper worm shaman. Then to figure out how to force others to accept him as a shaman. Probably by water bending and hyper voicing. ...Didn't I start as a janitor that was basically Scruffy from Futurama? Damn, that game does weird things.

Sorry for the off topic, just had to make that comment.
Might I suggest seeing if your totem's comment summons any ideas?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 19, 2013, 01:28:12 am »

That's not even it though, just part of it. I'm starting to realize something about the games I make.

The ones that I run for a long time and get invested in and have great success with are the ones I don't think out at all beforehand.

Warrens was just going to be a generic dungeon crawler parody. MKW was just going to be running about bashing goombas and making Mario references. So on and so on.

It's like, when I have an idea in mind for how something "should" be run or "should" be written or 'should" be drawn I get tired of it immediately after starting it.

It's funny. I've seen it in every GM tips thread: think things out BEFORE you start them! But, as it turns out, that corners me into doing things a certain way. Like, even if it doesn't, I absolutely hate to downsize. I don't know. Maybe those tips aren't for everyone and I should just stop making games with a story at the beginning.
I've had both experiences, and still don't entirely know if I over or underplan my games. Maybe if I need to plan them that much they're probably not going to work, or there's some unfortunate middle ground between freeform (teehee) and planned that I keep landing in.

In any case... would it be possible to throw this game off the rails and do whatever you want with it? If you're not enjoying it it's gonna end up hurtling into the sun at some point anyway, so you might as well try routing the tachyon banks through the pulse core if you think it might help.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 19, 2013, 01:31:54 am »

Personally I just chickened out and said 'hey I'll make a minimalist RTD and just detail the actions more.' I suppose when I update it it'll go well.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 19, 2013, 03:52:33 am »

Thank you but I do feel bad killing anything off, especially so soon :( Also poor Errol, he probably feels like a bad luck charm in my games :P

Hahaha, thanks for the laugh. :P But if you don't have fun, just shoot the game, I don't mind as long as you give me an 24 hour advance notice when you want to open another one :D

Anyway, the main way my RtDs tend to shrivel and wither - that's mainly a past thing, actually - is when they grow out of control, when I as an GM get lost. RtEtD is not there, because I have a pretty good guideline plot laid out in my head that's still valid (the main thing that's preventing updates on that one is a vicious circle of laziness and having to get back into the setting - if I could get a weekly update schedule or so set up, that might not happen), but if you want examples of this in action... look up my past GMing train wrecks.

Point is, I need some sort of plan, some sort of way to ground my RtDs. It can be some sort of plot, it can even just be a solid setting. If the game is too open ended I don't know which story I tell anymore. I like watching the player characters change, tossing them into situations to watch how they handle it, and make them do silly things, I think that's what I am about as a GM.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]