Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Madoka RTD Pregame RP Round 5: The Hunt  (Read 32251 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

But gins are fine?
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Guns! Dangit! Stupid hilarious typos!
May I sig this like this?
I believe so.

Now that Harry's posted his character sheet, I can post the last few details for Gretchen!

Edit: Lots of neat details...but why did you leave out the one thing which would have been most useful for me?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 07:13:15 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Edit: Lots of neat details...but why did you leave out the one thing which would have been most useful for me?

And what would that be, exactly? A personality profile?

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile

((I've been reading up on this and this sounds awesome, also are people on the wait list just sitting around in the world?))
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((If we take the Madoka option, are we allowed to have our character change their mind due to extraneous circumstances and contract at a later time?))
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

Harry Baldman, you continue to impress. But first, signups round 2 results!

Man, we have a lot of book-loving shut-ins. Anime New York's high school English grades must be significantly higher than the rest of the Anime USA.

I'm not giving any specific critiques this time cause I'm lazy and want to see what unguided revision will do. I will note that this was really close. In the first round when I complimented Wwolin, I realized that he wouldn't be such a guaranteed choice if everyone else's girls improved to match his, and... well, that happened.

I fear judging round 5 cause I'm probably going to be turning away 4-6 quality characters. But you'll all get on the waitlist if you want, and I promise this game will be quite lethal so it'll move at a decent pace.

Willamena Woodson (Wwolin) - Power Level 5
Elizabeth Evans (Flying Dice) - Power Level 3

I had to check to make sure I was rolling 2d6 and not 1d6, but nope, you guys are just all unlucky. Maybe our fifth girl will be a magical prodigy. Anyways, you two haven't contracted yet, so you don't get any stats or fun stuff.

What you do get is one assignment, smaller than the round 1 winners, and that's to return a short description of your friendship. One description total, not each, so work together. We'll be basing a little bit of pregame RP off it.

Round 3: The Final Girl
Name:
Physical Appearance:
Family:
Interests:
Biography: There are no restrictions here besides the fact that you haven't become a magical girl yet, or been contacted by Kyubey at all. Go wild and show me your best stuff.

The same rules for resubmissions apply - don't edit, repost.

That's done, so the next order of business is...

Nitpicking R1 Winner Biographies
GreatWyrmGold:
You don't need to explain how you get your crossbow bolts - all your magical weapon stuff is generated from your magic. And Kyubey doesn't have too many limits or rules to his wishes, so I doubt he'd hesitate to give you yours. And you've got a solid costume, and it looks like the beginning of a very good theme for your abilities and attacks.

Harry Baldman:
If it took a while for you to make your wish, Kyubey probably appeared to you. He doesn't seem shy about making himself visible to anyone he's decided to offer a wish to. Also, having a real weapon that turns into your magic weapon isn't exactly standard, so he wouldn't urge you to get one. That said, it's still perfectly acceptable for you to have one, though you'll have to deal with being a young girl carrying around a weapon. You have a brilliant ability aesthetic with the smoke and fire, by the way.

Finally...

Pregame RP Round 1
<- OP | PGRP Round 2 ->

Gretchen:
You get home from school one day to find your mother reading another letter - it's from the army again. Your brother is alive, but he's become frail and sickly. They're shipping him back home.

Everyone is baffled. He'd been dead for nearly a day, but your mother is happy to the point of tears. "It's a miracle!" she says, hugging you. You hug her back, smiling. You're pretty sure you've done the right thing.

Diane:
The next day, as you walk to school, you see a car pass by. You look in the window and see your brother, exactly as you remember him. He's with another family, laughing as he plays with another kid in the back seat that's a little younger than him.

Both:
That evening, Kyubey comes to you. "A witch is nearby! You need to help!" He shows you how to use your soul gem to home in on witches, and then leaves. Diane arrives first, then Gretchen. Kyubey appears again. "An ally. It seemed like you both needed one."

He leads you to her and tells you a bit about how her barrier works - normal people get trapped inside and die, never to be found. You head inside, finding yourselves in a world of sharp angles, bright light, and deep shadows. It's a jagged world of only pure white and dark black. You make your way through the labyrinth, defeating her minions - white and black globs that can only travel along the areas opposite their color.

You reach the end and find the witch - the gray silhouette of a young woman, the only thing in here that stands out from the black-and-white environment besides you two. She is PKLEHK XKVK. When she sees you, she shatters apart into geometric shapes that grow large and attack you.

My question is this: how do you fight? Do you hold back, saving your strongest attacks for when they matter the most, or do you attempt to blow her away before she can do any damage? Do you focus on protecting your ally, or do you attack while the witch focuses your ally, using her opportunities? You don't necessarily have to answer these questions, but that's the sort of stuff I want. Less fighting style, and more fighting philosophy.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 01:24:20 pm by penguinofhonor »

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile

Same as the second with changes

You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Since it is Diane's first time fighting a witch (or fighting anyone, for that matter) and she doesn't want to either die herself or let Gretchen die due to lack of caution and knowledge, she tried to fight as defensively as possible, focusing on protecting herself and Gretchen as well as providing support to her teammate. Of her abilities, Wall of Fire was used most in the battle, with the intent being to lure the shapes into striking at her, then eliminate them by springing the wall at the right time.

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
  • The guy that loves nukes too much
    • View Profile

((Almost exact same as last. I would add stuff about her past like everyone else but it's generally unremarkable unlike most everyone else's.))

Name: Gale Flagg
Physical Appearance: Short and tends to be mistaken to be a lot younger then she actually is. Long white hair, Orange eyes, nothing else of particular interest.
Family: Grandparents(mother's side)(in the apartment next door), mother(Nurse), father (he's dead though), older brother (lives on his own but nearby, visits the family every once in a while. Goes to college).
Interests: Video games, and martial arts.
Biography up to before contract: Gale is a pretty hardcore gamer that plays all sorts of games and is quite good at most of them. She also practices martial arts at the karate dojo that a few blocks from where she lives where she recently got her black belt. Gale quite well known throughout her school, not because she's popular, but because she almost looks like a kid and stands out because of it. Much to Gale's dismay since while every girl her age and can pass themselves off as being 18 or so, or at the very least being a high schooler, she's stuck being treated like a kid. Even by people that knows she's not.

She tends to be a loner but not by choice but rather she tends to not be very good at talking and thus not good at making friends. Which is another thing she dislikes about herself since she actually likes talking. In fact once she is able to, she'll talk forever. Though that rarely happens. She only had one best friend in her life but she moved away before Gale entered high school. Though she does take pride in being a good at video games and being able to defend herself if the need ever arises. Sometimes she even boasts about it. She also rather enjoys winning over new people in the dojo she goes to who don't her seriously (especially when they treat her as a kid).

She also tends to be pretty lazy about anything that doesn't interest her, which puts her grades quite low for never doing her homework. Though once she finds something that does interest her (usually but not always it's a video game) she'll pursue it actively until she finally get's bored some time later. The only thing that she hasn't lost her interest in is karate.
"Come oooooon, a little insanity never hurt anyone.... Well except for that one guy, but never mind him." -superBlast

I gots a new livestream! Check it out here at http://www.twitch.tv/iamsuperblast

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

Oh, I forgot to add the witch's name. It's PKLEHK XKVK, which is ciphered because I like fun things. The girls don't even know it in game anyways, so it doesn't matter that much.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

The closest thing to a decryption I get is a ROT-10 cipher :V

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

I'll use the cipher for all the witches, so eventually you should be able to figure it out, if I understand cipher solving correctly. It'll be a big fun moment!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

And what would that be, exactly? A personality profile?
The thing about how much your character trusts mine.

I'll be sure to fiddle with my character. I'm glad that one of the two critiques I had was thinking things through too much and both involved not understanding how the magic stuff worked. (And, just to note, I had imagined the results of being brought back to life as being much worse...)

I focus on making sure Diane doesn't get hurt, and of course myself. When on the offense, I start with weaker attacks which "cost" less and slowly move up into more and more "expensive" moves as needed. As best as possible given her lack of understanding, at least. That fine?

Hm, I might want to define another/more spells...how many do we have to start, again?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The thing about how much your character trusts mine.

Well, I see Diane as more of a trusting, unquestioning sort, so she operates under the assumption that Gretchen can't be all that bad of a person, answering any questions she has with honesty. Of course, Diane doesn't know Gretchen at all yet, and there does seem to be a bit of a secretive, closed off bent to the girl, so she chooses not to bother her overmuch. At least, until she's ready to open up herself.

Hm, I might want to define another/more spells...how many do we have to start, again?

Two from the start, two additional ones from levels. Total of four.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 08:08:03 am by Harry Baldman »

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile

Reposting for next round

So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Updated my sheet to add detail to her depression and ensure that it is not interpreted as her temporarily becoming a shut-in.))
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 07:58:52 pm by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9