Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Woot! Tomb Raider tomorrow!  (Read 3233 times)

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Woot! Tomb Raider tomorrow!
« on: March 05, 2013, 02:37:45 am »

I hope it is good.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Woot! Tomb Raider tomorrow!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 03:09:18 am »

I am holding back after so many hyped up games that turned out to be not as good as advertised (i.e. Aliens Colonial Marines). Better wait for 12 months and buy it cheap.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 06:34:25 am »

Best OP ever.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 11:13:35 am »

I am kinda in Buri's boat.

Every single video I ever seen of it was just them trying to abuse Lara and I am starting to believe that will affect gameplay. Though it is aggrivating to hear them try to explain why they went with that dirrection and raised soo many alarm bells they had to get their female employees bail them out.

Though I don't know why there is a trend of taking action heroines and making them weak and vulnerable against their previous characterisation. Though at least this game is a reboot so it isn't like they are retconning the "Strong female character" into someone a lot more vulnerable. It isn't "Other M" level where the amount of character assination had a lot of tinges of sexism.

I don't know I guess it depends if "Nathan Drake if he was a weak vulnerable woman" can make a compelling game.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 12:54:23 pm »

I'm renting this out on Gamefly, hoping its good, so yea... otherwise, I can play Naruto Ninja Storm 3...  heh... (Or so many other PC games that I am replaying.)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 12:55:09 pm »

The game is not bad, but there are some weird design decisions in there. I cannot understand why they made the bow that unrealistic, with huge kinetic effect on your target. I mean, I don't expect super realistic simulation, but in this case it's so overdone that it feel like you are firing a ballista.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 12:56:56 pm »

The game is not bad, but there are some weird design decisions in there. I cannot understand why they made the bow that unrealistic, with huge kinetic effect on your target. I mean, I don't expect super realistic simulation, but in this case it's so overdone that it feel like you are firing a ballista.

Because Arrows are heavier then bullets... and you know how you can hold someone in the air if you use a full auto weapon.

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 12:58:17 pm »

I heard that there are too many quick events in game, is it true?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 01:02:57 pm »

I heard that there are too many quick events in game, is it true?

Like how everyone wants to get into Lara's pants cutscene?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 01:19:08 pm »

What little gameplay I've seen has been terribly abusive to the point of making me uncomfortable just watching it so no, I don't think it's any good that they have to resort to torturing the main charachter to make us care for her, that's just retarded.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 01:26:06 pm »

I'm not very far, so I can't say for the rest of the game, but yeah there are quite a few quicktime events. I didn't mind them that much, except when it's really unclear what you are supposed to be pressing( at least on PC, maybe on console you get clearer prompts?).

I also don't get the negative 'Lara is so vulnerable' flak the game gets, I didn't get that impression at all, but maybe I'm just not far enough yet. As for the abuse, the same thing happening to a male lead character wouldn't have raised any eyebrows I bet.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 01:27:00 pm »

Best review quote for this game.

This is still Lara Croft, one of gaming's most distinctive heroes – and now she has a personality that extends far beyond the bounds of her bra straps.

I'm not getting it on release, but I'll probably pick it up when its at 75% off.  I figure a game that makes so many people feel uncomfortable is probably interesting, and I'm not a fan of the old tomb raiders so I don't have to worry about my nostalgia getting mad.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 10:38:13 pm »

Finally got my hands on this, went through a few hours...  and not too shabby.  I have been crushed by boulders, stabbed, gassed, shot with arrows, thrown off high places, fallen off high places, had my neck ripped out by wolves, shot with bullets, immolated and... there are probably other ways to die, I've not yet let myself become sushi and probably succeeded in not dying in some other horrible way not listed.

The story ain't too bad and reviews are right, Lara Croft does become a 1 woman army fairly quickly.  I personally don't see the 'Lara is vulnerable' part either... Killing animals and related 'survival' is fluff for experience and maybe salvage later.  (Good, cause I'm gonna ignore it.)  So far have done 2 optional dungeons, nice puzzles, considering it.

Only issue so far... she is pretty spry for someone who had a metal object sticking through her abdomen... and as far as I can tell, has done nothing about it after taking out the offending object.

Stealth Kills and Bows all the way...  especially when you get the rope.  And I've just unlocked melee, so want to give that a whirl.  (You unlock guns before the melee...)
I still kinda suck at the stealth part.  I have let myself die when caught, just to try doing the stealth thing right.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 10:54:40 pm »

As I watched Conan review the game, I was kind of reminded of Die Hard. I figure if it's ok to like Die Hard because Bruce Willis gets the shit kicked out of him and is an unrecognizable bloody mess by the end, you have to extend Tomb Raider the same courtesy.

Cause man, some of that shit is brutal.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 01:02:40 am »

the same thing happening to a male lead character wouldn't have raised any eyebrows I bet

A male lead character who is constantly injured, simpers and wimpers, is practically dying all the time, and is almost raped?

The closest to this I can think of is one of the main characters from Heavy Rain and it did raise many eyebrows.

As well remember this is Lara Croft. The sheer number of games who took female characters and made them "Weak and vulnerable" is why people are keeping an eye out. Do you want another "Other M"?

I personally don't see the 'Lara is vulnerable' part either

It is because of how they advertise the game. Heck a few people think they were intentionally trying to be controvercial to get more attention.

Mind you when I first saw it I was like "Actually this is fine, it would be pretty cool to play as a character who is pulling through inspite multiple injuries and it looks like Lara is starting off fresh before she is a seasoned adventurer" but the part that said to me "Uhhhhh... this may be a time to activate the feminism button" was the part where I saw the almost rape. The second it pulled that out I just knew their intent.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 01:04:30 am by Neonivek »
Pages: [1] 2