Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 35

Author Topic: Net Gain: Corporate Espionage in 2043. Development probably abandoned.  (Read 58977 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey, you're funded. Grats!

They deserve every dollar.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Thanks for the new muzak, it's sweet.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

sparkbolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Creator of Net Gain
    • View Profile
    • Level Zero Games
Re: Net Gain - Futuristic Corporate Espionage Sim on Kickstarter - Funded!
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2013, 05:40:50 pm »

Thank you for the support, Bay12 Backers! I knew you guys would like the game, I feel like DF players will have a lot in common with NG players.

I *am* trying to go for more intuitive interfaces and gameplay over complexity of detail (no assigning mismatched socks to your operatives!), but I think the compromise will balance out well, especially in giving you that delegating BOSS feeling. I want people to be leaning back in their chairs, scratching their chins, and having an evil smile creep over their face as their elaborate scheme unfolds beautifully before them!

(or, quickly leaning forward and muttering "no... no no NO NO NO!!!" as Frank Merrick turns the corner into a full CorpSec platoon, flings a grenade in a panic, and starts to run!)

Multiplayer is pretty damn far out for a stretch goal... if we actually HIT that 60k we've been trending for I could definitely find someone to hire, but as we all know that trend line is about to take a huuuge dip for the mid-KS lulls. Even super simple multiplayer as easy as working for the same corp has THOUSANDS of things you have to consider that you probably never realized that bloat production time. The biggest thing are "checks". What if someone fills a company with assets right when you try to load yours in? What if someone kills a target right when you try to use them in a mission elsewhere? what if you're in the middle of a run when a corp goes Bankrupt!?
With a single player, I can make lots of assumptions about what is happening in the world that let me quickly get gameplay in there, but with multiplayer every little change has to be vetted.

But yes co-op would be awesome. you wouldn't even need to divide the company, you'd just both be brokers working at the same corp, either supporting each other or working on diff targets. God damn that sounds fun.

Actually, you guys might know: Where are the best communities to find (reliable) programmers who would be interested in the project? Ideally I would work with someone in Chicago I can meet face to face, but I know that's a pretty small pool, and I've been considering working with people online to broaden my pool and hopefully find some programmers that really meet my strict criteria for collaboration (who are willing to work on the same threadbare budget I'm running!)
Net Gain: Corporate Espionage.
Cyberpunk Espionage Strategy by Level Zero Games!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2013, 05:43:41 pm »

Hmm...well, Dice is always a good place to find people with a specific skill set and location. Getting people cheap or part time...that's harder. But I'd probably still use dice as a resource.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

quip

• Bay Watcher
  • ???
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2013, 06:24:47 pm »

It's good to see this project getting funded, I'm excited to see what happens to it!
Hell hath no fury like an angry vampire pimp.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2013, 06:54:10 pm »

By the way, what platform are you programming in?

Just out of curiosity.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2013, 06:57:56 pm »

Please don't say Flash. Please don't say Flash.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

sparkbolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Creator of Net Gain
    • View Profile
    • Level Zero Games
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2013, 07:22:07 pm »

Unity with C#!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2013, 08:36:20 pm »

Unity with C#!

I wondered about that.  Unity is a great platform.  3.5 or 4?  Probably 3.5, even my office hasn't upgraded to 4 yet.

sparkbolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Creator of Net Gain
    • View Profile
    • Level Zero Games
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2013, 09:07:58 pm »

4! Though admittedly there's not much in the new engine that I'm using... but when they eventually merge NGUI with Unity I'll be ready!

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2013, 10:01:20 pm »

* GalenEvil uses Unity + C# to develop!

Awesome that you are using it :D It's a lot of fun to work with. NGUI is a great tool and is so much better than Unity's default GUI system
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2013, 10:10:32 pm »

Woo, Unity.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

sparkbolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Creator of Net Gain
    • View Profile
    • Level Zero Games
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2013, 10:41:51 pm »

NGUI is a great tool and is so much better than Unity's default GUI system

S'why they hired the guy to make the unity GUI! He's basically making an improved NGUI without the stupid depth/layer restrictions. Supposed to be a 4.5 feature.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2013, 11:00:40 pm »

NGUI is a great tool and is so much better than Unity's default GUI system

S'why they hired the guy to make the unity GUI! He's basically making an improved NGUI without the stupid depth/layer restrictions. Supposed to be a 4.5 feature.

Sweet.

Any idea if it'll have any pixel-placement options?  I find that a lot of times I'm having to convert a designed interface into Unity, but don't have exact placement capabilities.  I've got to do things in "fractions of container width" (using iGUI, after having several bad experiences with the default GUI system1).

Often I'm designing for a specific screen size (the iPad) so flexible and responsive GUI layouts aren't as important as "this button has to be exactly 35 pixels tall and 87 pixels wide, or the texture gets all junky."  (Had to have the design guy redesign the button twice, actually, because he kept ignoring 9 slice scaling rules; current button only scales horizontally, but it's sufficient).

1Notably the inability to have two different colored pieces of label text (or type face, including bold or italics) without creating a whole new custom GUIskin.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 11:04:58 pm by Draco18s »

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2013, 05:23:25 am »

Op you could always use something like this to keep upto date with a kick start

Also can't till the next update :D
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 35