Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22

Author Topic: From Napoleon to Beyond (Nation Management Game)  (Read 23687 times)

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: From Napoleon to Beyond (Nation Management Game)
« Reply #300 on: March 25, 2013, 11:29:15 pm »

Thats a shame, Ethiopia would of got quite interesting soon as well.
Shame to see you quit so early on, not that I really know you that well.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 26, 2013, 12:27:56 am »

It's only like this because we're bored. Napoleon's still debating how to do his troops. I did mine a while back.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 26, 2013, 12:45:56 am »

Meh whats he planning?

He can't advance, he can't flank, pretty much his only choice is to dig in and try to drive you back his numbers don't allow for much else without giving up his only advantage.

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 26, 2013, 12:51:36 am »

When IS france going to post, this is the second thread I'm in thats being held up by one player not posting
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 26, 2013, 12:54:52 am »

Well while we wait we can have a discussion about how Swedish iron would look great on 200,000+ Prussian rifles :P.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 26, 2013, 04:32:43 am »

Oh, I see. The ottomans had draft riots. Did nothing happen for me, then?

I decided to do the research post first, and had accidentally put in the Ottoman draft roll. 

I PMed you my research. It was steam engines, I were looking mostly at propulsion turbines but you'll make do.

Sorry, I did not see that.   :-[  I'll edit the turn to make it work. 

We are currently waiting for France to finish deploying.  I PMed him, so it should not be long.  Then the battle will begin officially.   

I'll probably have one of these per war, as it is taking a pretty long time to just set up alone. 

Anyways, bump.

So I (Ottomans) dont have draft riots?

*CONFUSED*
This is a blank sig.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 26, 2013, 07:14:46 am »

Napoleon lost because the Russians ran away, they let there own capital burn rather then fight him and let the fact that he didn't know how harsh the Russian winter was beat him.
Hardly a special victory and even then the Russians on there own ground with at least a 5-1 numerical advantage could not finish him, he lost the campaign but it was hardly a Russian victory.
The point is, Russia managed to best Napoleon on her own. With China and Japan behind her?
It's looking a lot less Phyrric.

And in this event it's taking place in France, not Russia.
I am aware. Are YOU aware that I was speaking of the event of France invading Russia?

Napoleon was the single best commander of the era until they day he fought Sir Arthur Wellsley.
That day he was fought to a standstill and in the end he lost.
The two of them were undoubtedly the best commanders of the era.
Let's say this is true. It just underlines the strength of Russia. Regardless, the best commander in the history of the universe doesn't make one invincible, only a bit better.

On another note, Cossacks were badass. They were like russian samurai. Except more unruly. And bigger.
The Cossacks were nothing like Samurai, they were too busy drinking, being manly, and bending horseshoes with their bare hands.
And riding horses, and using firearms, and nit being landed nobles...

.... Your going to mix Chinese with Russians?

Wtf are you trying to do lol make us laugh ourselves to death.
Oy, watch it.
You didn't explain what was so funny...do you expect us to weaponize nitrous oxide?

It's only like this because we're bored.
Quoted for truth. It's amazing what can crop up in a stalled game...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 26, 2013, 08:54:30 am »

The fact that Napoleon lost because the Russians ran away like little girls rather then fight him underlines the strength of Russia?

The only reason they were able to beat him was because they ran away, let him take a huge swath of land then they burned Moscow then attacked him afterwards while his men were already half dead from the cold and still failed to beat him in any significant battles while he was in Russia until half his army was dead or nearly dead anyway.

Hardly a show of strength, just good use of tactics.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 09:13:00 am by Brood »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 26, 2013, 09:14:24 am »

The fact that Napoleon lost because the Russians ran away like little girls rather then fight him underlines the strength of Russia?

The only reason they were able to beat him was because they ran away, let him take a huge swath of land and burn Moscow then attacked him afterwards while his men were already half dead from the cold and still failed to beat him in any significant battles while he was in Russia.

Hardly a show of strength.
Oh, sure, if you ignore the other factors like Napoleon's army suffering attrition and such...after all, if Russia just ran away, that's it, logically that means that Napoleon conquered Russia, which didn't happen.
Face it, you're simplifying things a lot by focusing on a relatively minor reason for Napoleon's loss.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 26, 2013, 09:16:49 am »

..... Minor reason?
Napoleon lost more men to cold, disease and starvation then he did in every battle combined in that campaign mate.

It was a good tactic by the Russians I won't deny that but running from your enemy and letting those factors do the work for you is not a sign of strength.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 26, 2013, 09:27:00 am »

..... Minor reason?
Napoleon lost more men to cold, disease and starvation then he did in every battle combined in that campaign mate.
Which is why the Russians retreating was a minor reason compared to cold and attrition.

It was a good tactic by the Russians I won't deny that but running from your enemy and letting those factors do the work for you is not a sign of strength.
It is, however, a sign that invading that place when it has more allies is a bad idea.
Sig

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 26, 2013, 09:31:10 am »

Oh I understood you wrong I thought you meant that the cold was a minor reason, just kick me next time if I muddle it up :).

I'm guessing you mean Russia had more allies? Which would be wrong since at the time they fought it completely alone and most of those allies were not allies until after that campaign ended and they broke off from Napoleon.

Except the British of course, us stubborn swine were the only nation to fight him the entire length of the war without once being forced to surrender :).

Alamoes may I suggest an OOC thread? I suspect there will be a lot of discussions like this in the future while we're stuck waiting on moves from people to advance, so it might be a good idea to have a seperate thread for it so you don't need to dig for any relevant information in it.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 09:34:41 am by Brood »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 26, 2013, 10:13:24 am »

I'm guessing you mean Russia had more allies? Which would be wrong since at the time they fought it completely alone and most of those allies were not allies until after that campaign ended and they broke off from Napoleon.
Except the British of course, us stubborn swine were the only nation to fight him the entire length of the war without once being forced to surrender :).
No, I mean Russia has more allies in this alternate universe.

Alamoes may I suggest an OOC thread? I suspect there will be a lot of discussions like this in the future while we're stuck waiting on moves from people to advance, so it might be a good idea to have a seperate thread for it so you don't need to dig for any relevant information in it.
...This isn't the OOC thread?
No, it isn't. Huh.
Sig

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 26, 2013, 10:25:21 am »

(( Ahh yeah fair point, which is why I'm avoiding getting in Russias way lol. ))

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 26, 2013, 10:33:38 am »

Sorry to see you go Ethiopia.  Since France still has not replied, I'm going to be playing for him in this battle. 
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22