Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: If people make new religions for THE 21'st century, what are they going to need?  (Read 1042 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Since the bible has lasted this long I don't see why having robots would make it suddenly go away.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

Remember St Terminator from TES: Oblivion, the robot from the future sent back in time to free mankind from skavery and who eradicated the Ayleid Elves with his laser gun? One of the game's expansions was about him.

I don't have a serious point to make, "religion surviving robots" just brought him to my mind and how he was seen as an angelic knight figure since he was "clad in armour" and "wielding holy flame". It's a funny story.
Love, scriver~

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Remember St Terminator from TES: Oblivion, the robot from the future sent back in time to free mankind from skavery and who eradicated the Ayleid Elves with his laser gun? One of the game's expansions was about him.
ONE MILLION ONE THOUSAND AND ONE

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile

If I had to guess it has to do with the book called "Revelation" in English being called "Apokalypsis" or "Apocalypsis" in Greek and Latin respectively.

Well yes I know it has to do with that book.  I'm looking at when the usage changed.  It is funny though, because it's literally the Greek word for English "revelation" - but nobody uses the English word "Revelation" to mean "the end of the world."  They mean it as "a revealing."

I guess that's how you can start religions though - change the meaning of words...

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile

If I had to guess it has to do with the book called "Revelation" in English being called "Apokalypsis" or "Apocalypsis" in Greek and Latin respectively.

Well yes I know it has to do with that book.  I'm looking at when the usage changed.
Pretty recently, apparently. I checked a few dictionaries from the 19th and early 20th century and none of them had "Apocalypse" defined in the modern usage even as an alternative meaning, though it probably was being used as such by some people a while before the people writing the dictionaries gave in and included it alongside the more correct definition.
Its general sense in Middle English was "insight, vision; hallucination." The general meaning "a cataclysmic event" is modern (not in OED 2nd ed., 1989); apocalypticism "belief in an imminent end of the present world" is from 1858.
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

Then why is the first mutant called AOPLACYSE

Czeque Malt atheists
Love, scriver~

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why the hell don't we have robots and flying cars yet, I was promised those in the 50s and I'm still waiting!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 [2]