Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 496816 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: North Korea Threatens Nuclear Strike On United States
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 02:59:14 pm »

Now where is tht fallout shelter? Ahh yes, next to my house, thank you paranoid cold-war era-ers!

Seroiusly, there are like a million fallout shelter's scattered over ew york. Most people don't even notice them. But, I think the rations must be old. 50 yr old cracker probably is VERY hard. Holy crap do not take that last sentence out of context.

Launchins are bad. I think the US may utilize some defensive strategies though. They have had time to prepare.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 03:00:14 pm »

I live 5 miles from a town of 1579 people, they have 2 shelters.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 03:02:23 pm »

Oh yeah, if they actually do launch and more the one gets through, I'm fucked. Totally fucked. Totally fucking boned.They'll probably prioritse DC though.

Maybe they will nuke LA instead? Hopefully? Do they have directional changing tech?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 03:18:50 pm »

I take it as posturing, mostly. He just got done having Dennis Rodman pal around the country and say good things about NK, in their mind it must be the perfect time to antagonize the West.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 03:29:06 pm »

They claim the aggressive act was US forces conducting training excercises in South Korea. THis is something that I participated in for 11 months and amounts to precisely dick. This is not new or aggressive behavior, it's merely the US training with their ALLY South Korea.

In particular, the threat NK made was in direct response to sanctions imposed by the US and CHINA(their own ALLY) for reckless behavior, threatening global stability, and general asshattery. Oddly enough, NK's government is near collapse and a limited conflict may actually temporarily save them. Threatening such action is likely to garner some form of financial appeasement or increase the odds of a limited combat engagement.

As for the intended target of a nuclear attack. Washington is completely out as is New York. The range of their systems is barely enough to cross the pacific and the longer it stays in the air the more opportunity to have it shot down or malfunction. They could surprise Hawaii but it would not serve them well as it would irradiate their own waters that they rely on for fishing. LA or Washington State are potential targets but also unlikely due to well placed assets that would intercept with the 45 minute warning. I believe if they WERE to launch an attack it would be a limited short range, low yield tactical strike on one of the two main US bases in South Korea. It would be a bold attack and would disorganize a counter-strike buying themselves enough time to negotiate terms for a cease fire before all hell rained down on them.

After 7 years in the military I would rate the likelihood of a nuclear attack from them somewhere around 2%. It's not impossible, but I won't worry unless I win the lottery and the Chicago Cubs win the World Series in the same year.

BTW Misco, I am also in NYC and we would indeed be "boned" as even if it didn't hit us, gridlock from panicked hipsters trying to leave the city would.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 03:30:47 pm by hemmingjay »
Only a simple mind can be certain.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2013, 03:31:40 pm »

I don't think there's going to be an actual nuclear attack, but I think there are going to be consequences from this that have a possibility of re-igniting the war.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 03:31:53 pm »

If they weren't rational they wouldn't have survived 60 years like this. They are crazy, but it's Gary Busey crazy. Crazy enough to frighten you and lucid enough to know when to pull back.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 03:32:22 pm »

Well, it goes without saying they're politicians, so no, they're not rational (sorry dad). But really, they might be crazy, but they've stayed in power for this long, so they're doing one thing right.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 03:37:16 pm »

Oh btw, I'm not sure that they can actually aim their warheads. As far as I know, America is the best their targetting gets.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 04:03:29 pm »

Problem is Americas is BIG. Member that. If we were lucky it'd miss and strike some deserted wasteland in Canada, but we can't hope for it. It's also why they invented the Hydrogen bomb, so that missing and hitting like, a suburb would still be as good.

Even so, I would prefer it not be a problem. Please remember all, evey good damned penny in that country goes to the military. So all the money they coud have been spending on sucking less, they spent on war. They might be able to cause alot of casualties on the way down.

As for it happening, Err? Don't know. All we can do is hope they're just, what's the commonest phrase here? Sabre Rattling. I'm scared though. What if they finally realize we don't believe them? The Kims are Narcissists. They do not take kindly to be ignored.
BTW Misco, I am also in NYC and we would indeed be "boned" as even if it didn't hit us, gridlock from panicked hipsters trying to leave the city would.
You say this, and now I'm imagining you as some old guy going "THAT'S RIGHT YA YOUNG WHIPPERSNAPPERS, RUN! COWARDS. IN MY DAY MEN STAYED AND DIED LIKE REAL MEN. PUSSIES.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2013, 04:07:36 pm »

I second the motion of arming the Space Needle with a phaser beam array to shoot down any missiles that attempt to approach Washington state.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2013, 04:08:47 pm »

As for a fear that ignoring them will cause issues - thats what we as a world have pretty much done to most of thier threats and provocations for years. Ignoring this one too changes little.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 04:11:54 pm by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2013, 04:10:19 pm »

I second the motion of arming the Space Needle with a phaser beam array to shoot down any missiles that attempt to approach Washington state.
... and now all my mind can see is the outer facade of the Space Needle falling away to reveal an oversized NOD Obelisk of Light.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2013, 04:11:03 pm »

Anyone who takes this even remotely serious is horribly ignorant of the lack of ability for NK to do much except for propaganda and starvation of it's own people. Seriously. Come on. They barely have the funds to shuffle around buying the damn materials to make test rockets.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2013, 04:12:09 pm »

... and now all my mind can see is the outer facade of the Space Needle falling away to reveal an oversized NOD Obelisk of Light.
You can't kill the messiah.
Anyone who takes this even remotely serious is horribly ignorant of the lack of ability for NK to do much except for propaganda and starvation of it's own people. Seriously. Come on.
They have working nukes, and that makes them a threat no matter how incompetent they are in other fields.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 341