Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 496840 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: North Korea Threatens Nuclear Strike On United States
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2013, 04:12:53 pm »

Anyone who takes this even remotely serious is horribly ignorant of the lack of ability for NK to do much except for propaganda and starvation of it's own people. Seriously. Come on.
What did I say? Imagine, if you will, if the US spent 90% of it's budget entirely on the military. Wouldn't it be a shithole? Yes. Would it's military be a thing of terrror? Yes. This is what they did.

But still. He's talking himself into a corner. Listen to this:
And while a nuclear attack itself is not an immediate palpable threat, "This surge in provocative rhetoric is particularly dangerous," added Michael Auslin, also with the institute. "South Korea's new president (Park Geun Hye) can't be seen to back down in the face of the North's threats, while (new North Korean leader) Kim Jong Un may feel that his successful missile and nuclear tests give him the ability to keep pressuring Seoul. The two may wind up talking themselves into war."

The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2013, 04:14:17 pm »

Ah, but do they though? All we really have to go on are thier own claims, and some very suspicious tests carried out under massive secrecy. Whilst they might have the ability to set off some kind of nuclear explosion, there is a big difference between a nuclear explosion and a feasable nuclear weapon.
This is a blank sig.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2013, 04:16:10 pm »

NK has nether the capacity to nuke anybody, nor the economy to go to war. They would get trampled so hard it would make the middle east look nice.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2013, 04:16:36 pm »

NK has nether the capacity to nuke anybody, nor the economy to go to war. They would get trampled so hard it would make the middle east look nice.

You do not conduct nuclear war on fantasy budgets and claims of military power. You actually need the capability, which they do not. Quoted here for emphasis.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2013, 04:18:21 pm »

I second the motion of arming the Space Needle with a phaser beam array to shoot down any missiles that attempt to approach Washington state.
... and now all my mind can see is the outer facade of the Space Needle falling away to reveal an oversized NOD Obelisk of Light.
You can't kill the messiah.
The Kingons killed--
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
--surely a nuke from best Korea is small potatoes for the Federation United States.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2013, 04:21:18 pm »

I second the motion of arming the Space Needle with a phaser beam array to shoot down any missiles that attempt to approach Washington state.
... and now all my mind can see is the outer facade of the Space Needle falling away to reveal an oversized NOD Obelisk of Light.
That's what the purpose of the Washington monument was.   The space needle was only used as an observation post.  And even if you were to equip it with a laser, it's a SPACE needle.  It would fire into SPACE. 

Also, even thou North Korea spends most of their GDP on their military, isn't South Korea's military budget greater then their entire GDP?  I remember seeing that somewhere. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2013, 04:22:14 pm »

Oh shit this is frightening.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2013, 04:23:20 pm »

That's what the purpose of the Washington monument was.   The space needle was only used as an observation post.  And even if you were to equip it with a laser, it's a SPACE needle.  It would fire into SPACE. 

Also, even thou North Korea spends most of their GDP on their military, isn't South Korea's military budget greater then their entire GDP?  I remember seeing that somewhere. 
Not saying they will win, saying they shouldn't be underestimated.

I notice the people betting North Korea can't do anything are not in the line of fire. So safe in the EU, move to South Korea if you are so sure.

Please people. You underestimate how long they had support from the Soviets and now the Chinese. Years of support plus aid plus ALL of your money in the military counts for SOMETHING. Do you think there just isn't any money in Nkorea, and they just like built this out of scrap?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2013, 04:25:15 pm »

Quick and dirty...

This is a blank sig.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2013, 04:26:09 pm »

Don't forget that North Korea is so difficult to attack even the USA would have trouble.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2013, 04:28:53 pm »

Yes, South Korea's military spending is grater than North Korea's GDP. It's military is about as frighting as can be if your military was made of early cold war era armaments. I'm not sure if NK can be considered by any metric a scary military power, other than their nuclear arsenal. And even then, I think there's a not insignificant chance it'd go off in their faces.

Really, I'd imagine the threat they pose has been assessed, and will probably be countered in one form or another, before their military capability suddenly goes poof.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2013, 04:30:10 pm »

Not saying they will win, saying they shouldn't be underestimated.

I notice the people betting North Korea can't do anything are not in the line of fire. So safe in the EU, move to South Korea if you are so sure.

Please people. You underestimate how long they had support from the Soviets and now the Chinese. Years of support plus aid plus ALL of your money in the military counts for SOMETHING. Do you think there just isn't any money in Nkorea, and they just like built this out of scrap?
I do understand that they can do a good bit of damage, but doing so would be suicide.
I thought their equipment was scrap...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
But if Ghandi is the one to advocate nuclear violence, then would Best Korea be the one to advocate reason?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2013, 04:30:50 pm »

Except for... you know Chaoticag, South Korea would have one heck of a time even trying to take possible one of the most easily defensible countries in existance.

It kinda makes the advantage not so clear cut.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2013, 04:32:24 pm »

Except China wouldn't allow a puppet state of hers to impede with the relations with the largest importer of their goods. Sorry. Geopolitics > One fat kid's daydream to have nuclear missiles.

Please note: The newest round of sanctions directed at targeting the science departments [which is used to shuffle money from other departments so they can even buy their test rocket fuel] and money being walked into the country from China are being proposed by.. China.

They're tired of the sabre rattling too. This is just Un trying to curry favor with the loyalists in the country and pissing off his benefactors at the same time.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2013, 04:33:16 pm »

Yea South Korea has the auto turrets that watch the border and blow anything to bits if it moves. Hey now we can test those new lasers on something live now!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 341